‘The umpire should have called it a let’

Discussion in 'All England 2004' started by ants, Mar 15, 2004.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    PETALING JAYA: Under the laws of badminton, it is stated that an umpire shall call a let to halt play if the server serves before the receiver is ready. There is also a rule stating that an umpire shall take to the referees all unsatisfied appeals on questions of law only.

And such appeals must be made before the next service is delivered or, if at the end of a game, before the side who appeals has left the court.

A highly rated Malaysian umpire, who held credentials with the International Badminton Federation (IBF), felt that in the incident that marred the All-England men's doubles final, the umpire Jane Hancock should have called a let in favour of Malaysia's Lee Wan Wah.

“Prior to the disputable call, Wan Wah was given a let when he claimed that he was not ready to receive a serve from (Jens) Eriksen,” said the former official, who asked not to be named.

“Eriksen took the serve again and put the shuttle in the net. And when Wan Wah again put up his hand (signalling that he was not ready yet), the umpire would have thought that he was trying to take an advantage. That was probably why she did not allow Wan Wah's appeal to be heard by the tournament referee.

“I watched the match and I saw that Wan Wah did not make any attempt to return the serve. If I were the umpire, I would have given Wan Wah a let and then cautioned him.

“I would tell him that I expect him to be ready after I have called the scores.

“I think that the umpire went a little overboard.

“Instead of taking three steps, she took two. It is the job of umpires never to allow a player to take an advantage over a server or a receiver.”

He added that if either the player or his team official protested against an umpire's decision, the referee would have to step in.

“If Wah Wah was dissatisfied with the umpire's decision, he should not resume play until a decision is made by the referee,” he said.

“It was at a crucial point of the match and I believed that the referee should have called a let.”

Another former international umpire said that an umpire who erred in judgment could face sanctions from the IBF.

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    This would really shut a few (fingers) mouth up about this controversy. I'm sure even Lundgaard and Eriksen would have not preferred to have won it this way as well, unlike some fans out there...

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    A questionable call indeed.

One shouldn't forget, though, that the turning point of this match came long before the incident. The Malaysians let the Danes claw their way back from 5-12 to 11-13, and then on to 15-13. That's a good way of losing any match.

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

The whole intention of penalties and yellow cards is to

ensure play is continuous to be fai r to all players.

If the rule is not implememnted it would be abused.

Wrong time maybe to penalise, should have done it earlier, but

then again is a minor factor in the final outcome.

I think we have inherited this culture of whining and complaining

and blaming others decades ago and still cant let go, in this modern world people look at things positively.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: -

I agree.

Michael Jordan used to answer reporters like this, when he was asked about some final seconds miss calls. MJ said, "come on guys, the game is 48 min, there are 50+ calls, if just 1 either favor to u or not, that won't be the only 1..."

6. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

You cannot compare apples and oranges. Basketball is limited by time, badminton is not. In my opinion, any player will be rattled if a bad decision is made at such a crucial stage. Choong/Lee's composure was shot to bits after that. I know, I was there. No matter how good your mental strength is, you will be affected.

Choong and Lee was truly playing as a single entity throughout the tournament, they were truly amazing. The title should have been theirs as they were the best. After this episode, they may never get a chance again. It is Cheah/Yap Olympic disappointment all over again.

Lets drop the matter and not rub salt on Malaysian wounds now. If it had happened to your favourite players, you would be upset as well. Please look at the situation from our point of view as well.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I hate to say it, sometimes, luck is part of the game, regardless what sports, whether it's time limited or not.

Against my favorite players? Sure. Still remember the famous "Line call" (Gao/Huang vs a Ra/Lee in Asian game?) Huang's shot was at least half a feet inside, but got called a out, and later on KOR won. So, the CHN lost a sure GOLD. Who knows, that might be this pair's only chance. Yeah, it's cruel. But, live with it, train harder, and shot for the next chance...

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I surely agree, and this time, poor Chong/Lee is the unlucky one. I also feel sorry for them.

However, ask Chong/Lee themselves, in their career, were they being lucky sometimes, too? Like, getting easier draw, powerful opponents withdraw due to injury, quality opponents overworked in previous round, as well as favorable calls, etc? I am sure the answer will be "yeah".

Hate to say that, but in real life, sometimes, u r the lucky one, sometimes, u r the un-lucky one. A true champion will create multiple chances, and try to capture them as many as possible. Just rely on "luck", and hope nothing falling from sky, not going to make a legend.

This is the difference between all star and flash light.

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    What i can say is that the opportunity is there to grab , and certainly Lee/Choong didn't make full use of their effort to get it. They have a chance to win in the 3rd Set and they blew it. In the Tournament , i can say they were the best as they won over alot of top ranked Pairs of the world. When comes to on the line games ( they are not strong enough mentally ). You can definately see it in the 3rd set. I know they have learned their lessons. All the best to them and i'm sure they will win some titles this year. I will still support my fellow country men. MALAYSIA STILL BOLEH AND I BELIEVE IT :D. Time to move on...

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Our now famous umpire should have given Lee a caution, and should not have have issued a yellow card straight away for the request of the tournament referee. By giving a yellow card, Lee had no option to shut up otherwise risk a red card.

But decisions like these go both ways. I saw Lee/Choong against Ha/Kim in HK Open 2003 q/f match. Ha wa doing the same thing by actually preparing, being ready, then putting up his hand again. He got eventually got a yellow card, then red at a crucial time. Ha/Kim lost that match in the end.

I agree, it is now time to move on. At least this shows up a relative weakness of Lee and Choong. It's up to them and the coaching staff to learn how to strengthen this area.

And Eriksen played really well in the 3rd game. He took full advantage of the lapse in concentration of the M'sians and forced a big lead by not letting them play the rallies. He never gave them a chance to get the rhythm back.

11. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

it ws sure a dubious call at the crucial juncture of the game and might hv cost the m'sian the ultimate trophy... as the danes admitted, it wsnt their turning point bt the msians... thn again, letting the danes gaining 7 continuous points after having big lead whch ws thn reduced to only 2 points lead (13-11), cd lee/choong finish the game evn w/o the incident? they might hv won the 3rd game (if it went to rubber), they might nt... hence i believe the danes wd prefer winning the title w/o the controversy.. i agree the yellow card shdnt hv bn issued...

as in any sports, bad calls happen all the time, u simply hv 2 live wif it and improve ur mental strength.. tk lin dan 4 example, thr wr a few calls (bad??) against him in the final bt he just laughed thru thm...

12. silvia

silvia Regular Member

ya true......and during the Thomas cup qualifier , at the final game, there were too bad calls against lindan, he protested in vain but he still play on and win the game...that is professionalism......

13. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    talking of bad calls

did anybody see xia's game against vaughan - one of the wide calls that was called in instead of out was shockign - i was sat behind the line judge and it was so far out that xia and richard didn't even give the line judge a second look - it was only when the referee told xia that his service was over that there was some protest..

I'm not sure but i think that line judge had already made some bad calls and was asked to give up soon after..

14. Justice

Justice Regular Member

In this age of advance, video replays should be used to make precise line calls and to help umpiring. It is fair and without human errors or prejudice. We all get to see those replays so fast on the screen anyway.

To be unfairly judged, reprimanded and compounded by a yellow card is something players not quite accustomed to as compared to just bad line calls. It is not easy to be superhuman and stay focused after that. Sometimes, strong and impolite comments just keep echoing in the minds.

That incident was really "unusual"!

15. gooooo china!

gooooo china! Regular Member

I agree

The umpire who was doing that court on sunday for the finals match was the same as the umpire who was doing one of the matches on Saturday for the semi finals.. Lucky me I had to mop for that court, and well I personally think that she was quite bossy, and whenever I had done something wrong by accident, she would tell me off. In other words I didn't really like her! :)