Stringing without Grommets??

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by allthatfog, Jun 9, 2014.

1. allthatfog

allthatfog Regular Member

student
    Hey all,

my friend borrowed my arcsaber 10 recently and he went to restring it. the racquet is very old, with lots of scratches and the grommets are old and i've never replaced them. Last time I string it the string broke on the second main because the inside of the grommet cut through the string.

he said it's a bare frame strung at 28 lbs..so will the string break if I play with it?

2. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Based on the fact that the last time the string broke was where there was a broken grommet, then I'd say there definitely is a high risk of it breaking again especially if you hit the bird anywhere near the broken grommet.

I strongly suggest that the grommet be replaced. If you don't replace the grommet there is also a high risk that the string could cut into and damage the frame especially if you're stringing at medium to high tensions.

Ordering replacement grommets are inexpensive (RKEP + MyBadmintonStore) and you can also salvage grommets from broken rackets. Investing in a grommet removal tool is worth it.

3. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Cut it now and replace the grommet before it eats into the racquet.

4. allthatfog

allthatfog Regular Member

student
    thanks for the advice guys!