Substitute for Racket Bags?

Discussion in 'Badminton Bag' started by calvinlgoh, Mar 15, 2004.

1. calvinlgoh

calvinlgoh Regular Member

Student
    Anyone using tennis bags from brands such as Prince, Head, Nike, Wilson, etc.. to substitute yonex badminton bags? What do you think of it? Good idea??

Does anyone know the differences between the bags apart from the size. I would assume that tennis bags are larger but those six racket badminton bags looks pretty big too...

Are they made of different material on the inside? I know that the outside is probably nylon for most bags...??

Oh well... just wondering...??:)

2. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    i am. i have a wilson davis cup bag. holds 6 tennis rackets and has extra compartments and can be worn as a backpack.

i can stuff more rackets in each compartment than i could in a 6 racket back. I say I could put in a total of 10 rackets in a 6 pack tennis bag.

usually, racket bags use the same material on the inside. wilson makes some bags with whats called "thermo guard." it is the same stuff (usually reflective) used inside lunchbags that keep things cool. so in essence, the thermo guard will protect your rackets from the cold and hot elements. especially useful when traveling on the airplane with your rackets.

3. calvinlgoh

Student
    since we are on the topic... i live in southern CA where it gets really hot in the afternoon... is it advisable to leave your racket bag in the trunk of the car?

calvin

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a search yielded this thread:

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3536&highlight=car+trunk

now i wonder if for the ppl living in really hot or cold climate, would it be practical to keep a big ice cooler in the trunk/boot of the car. one that is big enough to put a racket bag in. the cooler will serve as a very good insulation that probably last at least a day.

if even that's not enough, you can add extra boost to it. for the hot climate, put some cooler ice in it. for the cold climate, put a bottle of hot water.

call us badminton fanatic.

5. calvinlgoh

Student
    thanks kwun... and sorry for not searching first...hehehe....

calvin

6. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Yea My Friend Uses a Nike Tennis/Squash Bag, He got it for free since it didn't seem to fit his Friends MP-99. So i think its a Squash or Tennis bag, yea it Holds stuff Pretty well, but its really Small so its only a Racket bag, no Shoes.

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I use a Wilson 6 racket tennis bag.
    The only reason is that I stopped playing tennis, so I had a bag spare.
    Its got 2 compartments, each for about 3 tennis racquets.
    I get 7/8 badminton racquets and a 12 shuttle tube into one side, and shoes and clothes and water bottle and stuff in the other.
    It has similar thermo stuff inside as badminton bags.

8. Runner23

Runner23 Regular Member

Stock Analyst
    When it comes to quality of bags onex is not on top of the game. Seldom have I seen bad that wear out, develop cracks, tears etc. so fast. I got the biggest Yonex bag I could get my hands on. 3 compartments- 2 for racquets. Within 6 months, some stitchings did not hold the fabric together anymore and it was torn in several places.

Wilson, as you guys bring up, is far superior. Also a tad more expensive.
    But the Thermo-Guard and more solid quality of it is worth every penny. The biggest Wilson bag does hold more than the biggest Yonex bag. Even more than Yonex's biggest tennis bags.

9. calvinlgoh

Student
    :eek: So quite a few of you use tennis bags for your rackets!!!

MmmmMMMmm... thanks for your input guys... might be going tennis bag shopping...

calvin

:D

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    No Calvin I use a massive tennis bag for my rackets. The Yonex badminton bag is 2220 and the tennis one is 2224, this gives dividers in one of the two main compartment.

I thought it was too small and duly moved to the 2224-9 which has an extra compartment in the middle for rackets freeing up the two outer ones for clothing, shoes, shuttles etc.

I can honestly say it is massive and is about the same capacity if not more that the Yonex hold-all!

For more information please go to the reviews section and look up Yonex bags, I have posted one review for each of the 2224 and 2224-9.

There is also a thread in the equipment section where Kwun and Cooler posted pictures of other larger capacity Yonex bags.