time for a new serving rule?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Mar 16, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as all of us probably have read by now. there is much controversy right now over "when am i/you ready to serve and when you/i am ready to receive."

traditionally, we have allowed the players to go sort it out. the server waits an appropriate amount of time unless the receiver raises a hand signifying no.

this works ok unless someone started to exploit the gray areas, putting hands up to delay the service, serving too early to catch receiver off guard.

it is better not to dwell on previous error as that's not very constructive. however, it is good to learn from it. after the recent incident. do you think a new rule for tournament play is warranted?

here is a suggestion.

instead of letting the players sort it when is the "right" time to play. let the umpire do it:

1. umpire look at both receiver and determine both are ready
    2. umpire says "play" and server much serve within 5 secs.

after the umpire says "play", receiver has no right to overrule.
    a service before play is a fault and rally is lost.

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Players waiting for the umpire's call would slow down the tempo of a match too much. It would be devastating for the audience, I think. It would also take away an important psychological aspect of the game, when players can't dictate the tempo between rallies. Now they can -- within limits of course -- pretty much decide if they want to keep the tempo up, and when they need to slow things down. An important part of the game if you ask me.

Overhand serves and serving above waist level are bigger problems, as most service judges seem too liberal about it, and it does give the server a direct advantage.

3. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    There is some ambiguity. The umpire will only be looking primarily at the receiver, so if the receiver looks up and the serve has already started to go into their serve the umpire may be unaware, this I beleive happened on sunday.

Just as some receivers often look down and then hold their hand up to slow down the server some servers (many indonesians, Dave Wright from England a few years back spring to mind) walk up and serve without even pausing making the receiver unready.

I don't think we can involve the umpire Kwun but the benefit of the doubt should go to the receiver, if the server is bothered by the repeated lets they can of course delay their serve slightly. I don't feel this is a major problem in general, just one of those grey areas that occasionally gets highlighted by a big event.

4. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    correct me if im wrong but isnt that whats being done in volleyball? the umpire checks the receiver, then looks at the server then blows the whistle. isnt that how its done?

personally, i think it would be good to the sport. thats one less concern for the confusion and the umpire will be really involved and notice any delaying tactics from both sides. i personally dont think it slows down the game nor would it favor one side as long as proper rules are laid out and its done properly. im all for it.

now if theres only a way to correct other serving errors...

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I tend to agree with Mag. Then, it's up to the umpire to decide wether one pair is gaining undue advantage or not. The ebb and flow of the game is quite an important part of the enjoyment.

However, to be fair to the players, a verbal caution is warranted before the issuance of a yellow card for 'disruption of play'.

6. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Possibly the routine could be altered as follows, the rally ends, server and receiver take up their position, the unpire calls the score, the serve commnces within 5 seconds, thus implementing Kwun's idea without adding unnecessary vocabulary.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

5 seconds? Seems quite a short time.

Perhaps that's one of the reasons we do not see much communication on the badmitnon court...no time to talk tactics.

One of our BFer's serves just as the receiver gets to their receiving position. :) and has caught me out a few times. I deliberately put up my hand to force him to slow down.

I notice he's really quiet on this issue:D:D

8. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Some players walk up and without even making eye contact or appearing to look up serve, its extremely difficult to receive!

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

The Laws do say that play should be "continuous".

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i hope that the new rule will erase teh gray area.

the ambiguity you mentioned shouldn't be there. let me explain.

the sequence of events will be like this.

players stand. the umpire look at the receiver (as you said). determines that he is ready. then immediately look at the server. if server already started the stroke, fault. if server has not and looks ready, then announce "play". if server prolongs the preparation for too long, fault. may be 5 seconds is too much, 3?

hate to add more rule to a simple set of badminton rule. but i have seen this service timing problem comes up time and time again. recent ones are:

JR/LP vs. Candra/Halim - Copenhagen Master 03
    Lin vs. Wong - China 03

i am sure there are others.

11. shawntn

shawntn Regular Member

Lets not compare with volleyball. Volley is not closely enough to compare with badminton. Try Tennis?

12. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

serving

Why would you need to make eye contact with the receiver to serve?! Sure, take a glance at where his racquet head is and how he's standing, but this former comment I don't understand...personally when I'm receiving I try and stay on my toes and concentrate very hard on the shuttle...

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The best is include a t.v ruling as well. I'm sure there are other officials courtside that watch the game. Once there is a complain from players and the umpire can't make any decision or the player insist of the decision..he/she should refer to the chief empire.

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Re: serving

A little passive-aggressive, aren't we;)? I think it's important to at least make eye contact before one serves to make sure both receiver and server are ready. Implicit understanding of both parties readiness comes not just from the stances but from the other player's aknowledgement of readiness. It won't do the receiver any good if he has his head down and looking away from the birdie but he's not ready while the server thinks he's ready to receive just from the stance alone.

I am sure concentration after the initial eye contact will be just as good as having no eye contact at all.

#14 cappy75, Mar 16, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  15. Scriber

Scriber Regular Member

I've seen a match where i didn't know whether the receiver was raising her hand to signal wait or its just her stance. It was a womens singles player from indonesia i think. During the WC03. Just confusing.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Which is another problem given the high workrate of modern badminton. And that rule has contributed to this problem.

I'm not sure about the need for eye contact. Many people assume eye contact means "OK, I'm ready to serve, you're ready to receive" but some may not choose to do this for other reasons. e.g. intimidation by the receiver who crouches really close to te receiving line.

Like Mag said, foul serving is a bigger problem in the game.

17. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Kwun's got a point and it makes sense that the players shouldn't have advantage over the service but I agree with Mag that if the umpire does have control over the service timing, then it takes away the tempo of the game. I have often use the quick serve to built up momentum, as soon as I win a point, I run over to pick up the shuttle n as soon as the opposition is ready, I flick serve. It sorta gives me an advantage as I don't give anytime to the opposition to think about what they did wrong and just continue the rally.

18. viver

viver Regular Member

Isn't the server allowed to serve only after the umpire announce the score? If so, the game flow is controlled by the umpire and nobody else.

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Maybe we ought to leave these sort of decisions

to the players themselves, after all they have a players federation.

Even Associations have a better idea.

We are merely spectators, let the people on the grond decide what' sbest for

themselves.

Did players themselves ask for our help?

20. Dzgdz

Dzgdz Regular Member

finance
    Lets have a look how the umpires work:
    Just before executing a serve the umpire is looking at the receiver. Therefore the umpire perfectly knows whether the receiver is ready or not. If he is ready he will return the serve, if he is not – then should stand still and wait for announcing the let. It is umpire’s decision whether the player is delaying the game and should be warned (not necessary with the card)
    That system is very simple and effective, and in my opinion no changes are needed.

The place where is “gray” area is time for receiver’s preparation (the same concerns the server). Introducing here the rule of five seconds (or any other exact time limit) will cause more problems than it can solve. I cannot imagine how to count seconds (one skubidu, two skubidu, etc. or use stopwatch) and when to start it, this will make umpire thinking about silly things instead of concentrating on the game. Saying “play” so many times will be confusing also for spectators watching six matches in one hall and hearing “play” all the time.

regards,
    dzgdz