User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 21
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default i have running nose (flu approaching) - can badminton help to ward it off?

    I have a game tonight, i am debating whether i should go and play.

    I started to have running nose since this morning.

    I wonder whether badminton exercise will help me sweat and ward off the flu.

    To quote my Physical Education teacher saying last time:

    "Why do people will flu / fever cover them with many blankets to sweat a lot to reduce the fever. why not do like me? put a tracksuit and do some jogging to sweat instead of sweating under the blanket?"

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have played under the weather many times before, but each time I regretted. I felt good right after the games, it's only when I totally cool down and at home that my symptoms got worse. Playing with only runny nose should be fine, but rest is needed if symptoms go below the throat.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A good rule of thumb is to find out if your condition has come down to your lungs that will affect your cardiovascular system. If above the lungs, no problem, just go ahead. If your lungs are feeling down, stay away.
    I have had sore throat, slight fever, running nose and I seem to benefit from playing.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've got a sore throat today and am going to go to badminton tonight. Fingers crossed things don't deteriorate as I have a game tomorrow.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Strange enough, I seem to play better the more miserable I feel... that's if the symptoms haven't reach the chest area yet. Perhaps,

    Lower expectation = More relaxed = Better games?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Paradise, Canada
    Posts
    550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would just stay home and get some rest. If you continue to excert yourself, you're only gonna drain yourself of the energy that could have been diverted to your immune system to ward off whatever illness you have.

    -Rick

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Cannock, UK
    Posts
    2,908
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah, if go out running around, your body assumes you are running away from some sort of danger (mastodon, sabre tooth tiger, whatever) and gives priority to keeping you alive for the next few minutes. Fight or flight etc.

    Wonderful machine the human body.

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,189
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by taneepak
    A good rule of thumb is to find out if your condition has come down to your lungs that will affect your cardiovascular system. If above the lungs, no problem, just go ahead. If your lungs are feeling down, stay away.
    I have had sore throat, slight fever, running nose and I seem to benefit from playing.
    on the other hand, you could be transmitting viruses to other players in the group.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you are moderately ill i suggest you go out and play..!! or exercise for that matter.

    Your immune system will naturally raise your body temperature in defense to the virus or whatever you have. My as well raise it by doing something athletic

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    obviously....just remember you are ill, and don't push it too much

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Especially when you're on the recovery phase...

    Originally posted by Cheung
    on the other hand, you could be transmitting viruses to other players in the group.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Was on MC yesterday :)

    I went to doctor yesterday after playing two days ago.

    I got MC and a nice 1 day rest

    Actually, the badminton game did not worsen my sickness. Only thing not good is when you have soaked shirts and waiting for ur turn to play and a cool draught beat against ur wet back and u sneeze.

    P.S: actually i was AIMING for that MC, so playing and not playing on that day will not change much of me seeing a doctor the next day

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Actually, the game that day was the best game i played for 1 year so far

    I guess when u are taking the game relaxed, u tend to look around more for openings and observe ur opponents more instead of rushing and playing shots without observing the opponents and placing the shots accurately

  14. #14
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,915
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    well. i am recovering and i played two days of badminton. yesterday was ok. not the best form, slow, everything off timing etc.

    today was even worse! i could hardly move. nSmash is in town and we played together, i think i move like a really old man. but we managed to play for nearly 3 hours. at the end, i could hardly play.

    but the strange part is, it is not really exhaustion. when i come back from biking, that feels like exhaustion. today, it felt like i do have energy, but the body is blocking it from getting released. very strange.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    German cat killed by bird flu

    Tuesday, February 28, 2006; Posted: 5:08 p.m. EST (22:08 GMT)


    (CNN) -- A cat in Germany has been infected with bird flu, health authorities said Tuesday.

    The virus was discovered in a cat found dead on the island of Ruegen, in northern Germany, said Elke Reinking, press officer at the Friedrich Loeffler Institute on the island of Riems in northern Germany.

    Homeowners within a 5 kilometer (3 mile) radius of where the cat's carcass was found are being advised to keep their cats indoors.

    Tests to determine whether the cat died of bird flu were not expected to be completed until the end of the week.

    Last [northern hemisphere] summer, dozens of tigers in Thailand died after eating dead birds infected with the H5N1 virus.

    Some of the tigers apparently infected other tigers, officials said.

    In addition, the laboratory has determined that four of 128 birds it has tested from throughout Germany were infected with the highly pathogenic form of H5N1, she said.

    The other 124 had a low-pathogenic strain of the H5N1 virus, she said.

    Earlier, Swedish authorities said Tuesday that a deadly strain of bird flu had been found in two wild ducks in southern Sweden, however they were unable to immediately confirm what strain, The Associated Press reports.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    German cat killed by bird flu

    Tuesday, February 28, 2006; Posted: 5:08 p.m. EST (22:08 GMT)


    (CNN) -- A cat in Germany has been infected with bird flu, health authorities said Tuesday.

    The virus was discovered in a cat found dead on the island of Ruegen, in northern Germany, said Elke Reinking, press officer at the Friedrich Loeffler Institute on the island of Riems in northern Germany.

    Homeowners within a 5 kilometer (3 mile) radius of where the cat's carcass was found are being advised to keep their cats indoors.

    Tests to determine whether the cat died of bird flu were not expected to be completed until the end of the week.

    Last [northern hemisphere] summer, dozens of tigers in Thailand died after eating dead birds infected with the H5N1 virus.

    Some of the tigers apparently infected other tigers, officials said.

    In addition, the laboratory has determined that four of 128 birds it has tested from throughout Germany were infected with the highly pathogenic form of H5N1, she said.

    The other 124 had a low-pathogenic strain of the H5N1 virus, she said.

    Earlier, Swedish authorities said Tuesday that a deadly strain of bird flu had been found in two wild ducks in southern Sweden, however they were unable to immediately confirm what strain, The Associated Press reports.

    It doesn't say that the cat caught the virus off a badminton player who refused to stay at home, so you cannot blame Smasher for this.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Surrey, Canada
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    on the other hand, you could be transmitting viruses to other players in the group.
    I have seen so many inconsiderate players that will continue to play while they are sick, only to spread whatever they have to others in the center. Although in general physical exercise is good for the body and may help to speed up the recovery, it is almost always at the risk to others you are sharing the gym with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Badminton tryouts are approaching soon, I need a new racket
    By KYW917 in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 17
    : 07-29-2010, 10:59 PM
  2. Is Badminton approaching Professionalism?
    By chris-ccc in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 35
    : 02-02-2009, 06:54 AM
  3. Running exercises for badminton
    By emogirl in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 2
    : 02-16-2008, 02:11 AM
  4. running after badminton?
    By yuffleduffles in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 6
    : 02-19-2007, 12:39 PM
  5. Badminton: Time running out for Tan Fook - Wan Wah
    By Dreamzz in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 12
    : 01-11-2007, 10:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •