i have running nose (flu approaching) - can badminton help to ward it off?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by crazy_smasher, Mar 16, 2004.

1. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

I have a game tonight, i am debating whether i should go and play.

I started to have running nose since this morning.

I wonder whether badminton exercise will help me sweat and ward off the flu.

To quote my Physical Education teacher saying last time:

"Why do people will flu / fever cover them with many blankets to sweat a lot to reduce the fever. why not do like me? put a tracksuit and do some jogging to sweat instead of sweating under the blanket?"

What do you think?

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I have played under the weather many times before, but each time I regretted. I felt good right after the games, it's only when I totally cool down and at home that my symptoms got worse. Playing with only runny nose should be fine, but rest is needed if symptoms go below the throat.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A good rule of thumb is to find out if your condition has come down to your lungs that will affect your cardiovascular system. If above the lungs, no problem, just go ahead. If your lungs are feeling down, stay away.
    I have had sore throat, slight fever, running nose and I seem to benefit from playing.

4. woop.

woop. Regular Member

I've got a sore throat today and am going to go to badminton tonight. Fingers crossed things don't deteriorate as I have a game tomorrow.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Strange enough, I seem to play better the more miserable I feel... that's if the symptoms haven't reach the chest area yet. Perhaps,

Lower expectation = More relaxed = Better games?

6. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I would just stay home and get some rest. If you continue to excert yourself, you're only gonna drain yourself of the energy that could have been diverted to your immune system to ward off whatever illness you have.

-Rick

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

yeah, if go out running around, your body assumes you are running away from some sort of danger (mastodon, sabre tooth tiger, whatever) and gives priority to keeping you alive for the next few minutes. Fight or flight etc.

Wonderful machine the human body.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    on the other hand, you could be transmitting viruses to other players in the group.;)

9. chhayalak

chhayalak Regular Member

Poor University Student
    If you are moderately ill i suggest you go out and play..!! or exercise for that matter.

Your immune system will naturally raise your body temperature in defense to the virus or whatever you have. My as well raise it by doing something athletic:)

10. other

other Regular Member

Student
    obviously....just remember you are ill, and don't push it too much

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Especially when you're on the recovery phase...

12. crazy_smasher

Was on MC yesterday :)

I went to doctor yesterday after playing two days ago. :)

I got MC and a nice 1 day rest :)

Actually, the badminton game did not worsen my sickness. Only thing not good is when you have soaked shirts and waiting for ur turn to play and a cool draught beat against ur wet back and u sneeze.

P.S: actually i was AIMING for that MC, so playing and not playing on that day will not change much of me seeing a doctor the next day

13. crazy_smasher

Actually, the game that day was the best game i played for 1 year so far :)

I guess when u are taking the game relaxed, u tend to look around more for openings and observe ur opponents more instead of rushing and playing shots without observing the opponents and placing the shots accurately

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well. i am recovering and i played two days of badminton. yesterday was ok. not the best form, slow, everything off timing etc.

today was even worse! i could hardly move. nSmash is in town and we played together, i think i move like a really old man. but we managed to play for nearly 3 hours. at the end, i could hardly play.

but the strange part is, it is not really exhaustion. when i come back from biking, that feels like exhaustion. today, it felt like i do have energy, but the body is blocking it from getting released. very strange.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    German cat killed by bird flu

Tuesday, February 28, 2006; Posted: 5:08 p.m. EST (22:08 GMT)

(CNN) -- A cat in Germany has been infected with bird flu, health authorities said Tuesday.

The virus was discovered in a cat found dead on the island of Ruegen, in northern Germany, said Elke Reinking, press officer at the Friedrich Loeffler Institute on the island of Riems in northern Germany.

Homeowners within a 5 kilometer (3 mile) radius of where the cat's carcass was found are being advised to keep their cats indoors.

Tests to determine whether the cat died of bird flu were not expected to be completed until the end of the week.

Last [northern hemisphere] summer, dozens of tigers in Thailand died after eating dead birds infected with the H5N1 virus.

Some of the tigers apparently infected other tigers, officials said.

In addition, the laboratory has determined that four of 128 birds it has tested from throughout Germany were infected with the highly pathogenic form of H5N1, she said.

The other 124 had a low-pathogenic strain of the H5N1 virus, she said.

Earlier, Swedish authorities said Tuesday that a deadly strain of bird flu had been found in two wild ducks in southern Sweden, however they were unable to immediately confirm what strain, The Associated Press reports.

16. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

It doesn't say that the cat caught the virus off a badminton player who refused to stay at home, so you cannot blame Smasher for this.

17. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I have seen so many inconsiderate players that will continue to play while they are sick, only to spread whatever they have to others in the center. Although in general physical exercise is good for the body and may help to speed up the recovery, it is almost always at the risk to others you are sharing the gym with.

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Yeah, don't hi-five or shake hands after games when you're playing under the weather:D. I haven't been sick for quite awhile... *knock on wood*. I attribute that to regularly washing hands before meals, positive-thoughts, lots of Kim Chi and hot pot eat-out:D. Still not getting enough rest though:(.

19. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

from http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/exercisephysiology/a/aa100303a.htm

The effect of exercise on immune system function is generally positive. For moderate exercisers the immune systems gets a temporary boost in the production of macrophages, the cells that attack bacteria. Regular, consistent exercise can lead to substantial benefits in immune sytem health over the long-term.

However, intense exercise seems to cause a temporary decrease in immune system function. Reserach has found that during intense physical exertion, the body produces certain hormones that temporarily lower immunity. Cortisol and adrenaline, known as the stress hormones, raise blood pressure and cholesterol levels and suppress the immune system. This effect has been linked to the increased susceptibility to infection in endurance athletes after extreme exercise (such as marathon running or ironman distance triathlon training).

If you are already ill, you should be careful about exercising too intensely. Your immune sytem is already taxed by fighting your infection, and additional stress could undermine your recovery. In general, if you have mild cold symptoms, without fever, light or moderate exercise may help you feel a bit better and actually boost your immune system. Intense exercise will only make things worse and likely extend your illness.

Read more about exercising with a cold or flu
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuryprevention/a/aa011402a.htm

20. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    I'm glad you got over your sickness; it seems like the badminton did you some good. Here's some food for thought though...

If you think you may have influenza, you haven't got it. You know when you've got the flu. Please don't condone playing while you have the flu, because some people die from this illness. It attacks every corner of your body and ISN'T NICE. To risk transmitting it to other people is very unthoughtful, so stay at home.

If you have the flu, there may come a point at which you can't actually move, so you'd have no option BUT to stay at home. Be considerate to yourself and other people, because a game of badminton just isn't worth the risk.

Aleik