User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    Craig, please look up what except means. The former clause sets up what is not allowed - the person or the racket to be over the net. There is an exception - the racket may be over the net when part of a follow through, with the shuttle strike happening on strikers side. That is the only interpretation if you understand the words.
    There is an exception - the striker may follow the shuttle over the net, stop ignoring that part and understand the words.
    so if you are to state I can follow the shuttle over with the racket, it can be interpreted that I can follow the shuttle, myself together with the racket over the net.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you are making thongs up. I've written a phd, I know how to be precise with language. You are just wrong.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you are making thongs up. I've written a phd, I know how to be precise with language. You are just wrong.
    No, to be precise would be to say the racket may follow the shuttle over the net but no part of the striker body may cross the net within the exception. The wording the striker with the racket does not proof your point sorry.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to clarify, you think that if I were to play a net kill (forget about the opponent he is off court) and I am holding the racket right up at the cone. I contact the shuttle on my side ok and follow through over the net. My finger also cross over the net line. I also needed to put my feet under the net across the line not touching, since you agree the foot part is legal, you think my finger part of body crossing would get faulted but not my feet part of my body?
    Surely that puts it into perspective.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    No, to be precise would be to say the racket may follow the shuttle over the net but no part of the striker body may cross the net within the exception. The wording the striker with the racket does not proof your point sorry.
    yes it does. The only thong mentioned in the exception is the racket. Therefore that is all that's excepted! It's that simple.

What you wrote above is redundant and explicit. Not precise. The rule already mentions the person may not invade. It doesn't need to be said again in the exception if it is still not allowed.

Yes, if you net kill and hand follows over the net that is a fault according to the rules.

Just like flying spaghetti monster isn't mentioned in the exception, it does not mean you are allowed to make it up (interpret) to be in the ruled. Your interpretation is wrong because it relies on you adding information that contradicts the rule as it is written.

You're basically arguing that 2+2=5 , and I'm saying 'not if 1+1=2'. If you don't agree, you will never be convinced, but you have a fundamental misunderstanding.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop talking about thongs!
    Seems argument has run it's course and the thread is about net blocking so lets get back to that.
    Just accepting what you say anyway, I am still curious as to whether you think that all blocks should be judged on a maximum potential swing of the racket however strange the follow through would have to be(without fingers going over) or to be judged on the most likely guess follow through the player would take?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry, about thongs! I'm off my phone now, so no more thumb-mash mistakes.

Just accepting what you say anyway, I am still curious as to whether you think that all blocks should be judged on a maximum potential swing of the racket
    Not maximum per se, but maximum such that the person didn't invade as well. In most cases this is moot anyway because the player is not close enough to reach over the net with a hand.

I believe this because the rule states 'blocks the player from playing A shot where the shuttle is followed over the net'. This means *any* shot subject to:
    i) racket following the shuttle
    ii) person not invading

If the rule was meant to only disallow obstruction of the actually played shot then the wording would be different.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So my point is everyone has a different view of how much follow through would/could have been taken(forget about our off topic discussion), therefore there is no basis on which to make a decision consistently unless an actual clash occurs. Everyone quite rightly has there own idea of what should be called or not as you will see in any thread this comes up in and also during commentary. Some believe for instance that over head net kills only get played with short action so would not be a fault others believe racket could have hit and short action was a reaction therefore fault. The rules do not dismiss either theory being right or wrong. You said the rule was simple, but there is no collective opinion on how it should be judged.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just because people don't understand English is not a reason to give weight to incorrect interpretations. It is not subjective at all. There doesn't need to be a collective opinion, the rules are in black and white.
    Last edited by amleto; 08-09-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but I've got to take this post to town it's just so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    So my point is everyone has a different view of how much follow through would/could have been taken(forget about our off topic discussion)

so? Every time a shuttle lands near a line a judgement has to be made. Making judgement calls is nothing new.

, therefore there is no basis on which to make a decision consistently unless an actual clash occurs.

incorrect. It's black and white in the rules

Everyone quite rightly has there own idea of what should be called or not

Wrong, the rules are the rules, not anyone's arbitrary idea.

as you will see in any thread this comes up in and also during commentary. Some believe for instance that over head net kills only get played with short action so would not be a fault others believe racket could have hit and short action was a reaction therefore fault.

Irrelevant, either case is covered in the rules

The rules do not dismiss either theory being right or wrong.

Again, wrong.

You said the rule was simple, but there is no collective opinion on how it should be judged.

Already commented on 'collective opinion'

There's only so many ways to dissect 'prevents an opponent from making a legal stroke'. If there exists a legal shot that could have been played, and the striker was prevented from making this shot, then the receiver has 'prevented an opponent from making a legal stroke'.

Your arguments are based on grammatical folly.
    Last edited by amleto; 08-09-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deciding on whether a stroke has been prevented, without knowing if the stroke was completed or not has to be subjective.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, no... not again.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"so? Every time a shuttle lands near a line a judgement has to be made. Making judgement calls is nothing new."

It is totally different because the shuttle actually hits the ground and there is a line to judge against, This is more like someone catching the the shuttle 6 feet off the ground(if that were allowed) and then the umpire trying to decide whether the shuttle was going to land in or out.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfPN...&lf=plpp_video

Ok look at this video 1.50 ish(I know it is a bad angle but just assume they were very close.
    All I want to know since you seem to understand the rule in black and white is to explain this.

The striker claims he was prevented. Nobody except the striker knows if he had completed his natural stroke and if he was to continue swinging he could have hit the defenders racket(just take that as true even though camera is bad). So does the umpire decide based on whether he would have hit with the full follow through possible before his racket would hit the top of the net or does he decide based on whether his natural stroke looked like it was just going to be a short action so no fault?

That is what I can't gather.
    Last edited by craigandy; 08-09-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are fixating on *the* shot played, but that is not the rule. The rule explicitly mentions *a* shot. Therefore if there is *any* shot that could have been *legally played*, but was obstructed, then it is a fault.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are fixating on *the* shot played, but that is not the rule. The rule explicitly mentions *a* shot. Therefore if there is *any* shot that could have been *legally played*, but was obstructed, then it is a fault.
    so the full follow through that would be physically possible then. this rule get called really badly in that case
    Last edited by craigandy; 08-09-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You fellas won't have to bicker... If the rule were changed to require racket clashing for a fault to occur.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4