User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without any doubt: This rule is ambiguous! A lot of judgement involved on the side of the umpire. Everyone judges certain situations in one way or the other, some situations might not even be clear in slomo.

The question is: Is this rule in any way critical/detrimental for the sport itself? I think it isn't! It's a rule that is very rarely needed (how often do we see such points? Once every 10 matches? How many of them are judges correctly? 80%? Makes one wrong decision every 50 matches or so (numbers are random, but you guys got my point!?)). It's nothing we should care about!

Just to give another example of ambiguous rules: Soccer. What constitutes a "foul" is never clear. It can't be defined perfectly. Some refs are more strict, others let the players almost kill themselfes.
    How many wrong decisions do we have per game? 3? 5? 10?

I think the net-blocking rule is not perfect, but good enough. And I've yet to see a better alternative...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not to bring up another ambiguous rule or two, like the service and receiver fault rules, but when there're several combined perceived erroneous judgment calls in a game that are perceived erroneous by players and spectators, then that really throws fairness in the sport out the window.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    How many of them are judges correctly? 80%? Makes one wrong decision every 50 matches or so (numbers are random, but you guys got my point!?)).
    The point I think is basically who knows how many are judged correctly. Nobody can define the rule.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    The point I think is basically who knows how many are judged correctly. Nobody can define the rule.
    Nobody knows how many fouls happen in soccer! Because it's up to the umpire's judgement all the time.

The discussion is purely academical, it has absolutely no relevance for the sport.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BWF now has slow motion camera. I think they can use it for challenges of umpire's decisions (eg, fault).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I supposed this rule is subjective and up to the discretion of the umpire concerned to enforce it. Perhaps it's better to have the tournament referee review it on slow-motion camera and pass judgement as best he could. Or let the player appeal to the tournament referee if he thinks the umpire's decision/indecision is questionable, just like referring to Hawk-Eye except that there is still the subjective element.

It's true such an infringement is rare but should it happen at crucial moments, then the consequences will be very unpleasant for the player feeling hard done by as it can change the course of the match or its final outcome. Imagine it happening at matchpoint(s) during the WC Final or Olympic Gold Medal match.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody knows how many fouls happen in soccer! Because it's up to the umpire's judgement all the time.

The discussion is purely academical, it has absolutely no relevance for the sport.
    I am pretty sure soccer refs have a solid understanding of the foul rule, the rule is quite descriptive, but yes the Ref has to make the call but they are all making the call based on the same idea.
    This net blocking rule not only has to be judged but the rule itself is not understandable. Why don't they just make it if blocked within a rackets length of shuttle contact, easy change, better rule, more importantly something that has a starting point to be judged the same by everyone.
    Last edited by craigandy; 06-25-2014 at 06:11 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, watching soccer, I don't have the impression that all refs have the same understanding of what constitutes a foul. Not even close...

Your idea with "one racket length" is def better than the current wording. It's more precise. That's fine!

Anyway: Will it lead to better judgement? I don't think so. Honestly, I think it's easier to judge whether a player is obstructed (you have a feeling for that!) that to judge "one racket length"...

Furthermore:
    Is this issue important for the sport in any way? Important enough to change the rule?Not really. It's such a minor rule, with such little importance. There are more important issues in badminton.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furthermore:
    Is this issue important for the sport in any way? Important enough to change the rule?Not really. It's such a minor rule, with such little importance. There are more important issues in badminton.
    Lol, I didn't know we had to concentrate all our powers on only the most important issues in badminton. You are probably right though, they will just leave it to as a rubbish rule no need to change it too difficult.

BTW surely a measurement would be better to go off than a "feeling"
    Last edited by craigandy; 06-26-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BWF is just about to ruin the game with a new scoring system! That's an important issue...

(I do agree with you, that the current rule is ambiguous (at least), I wouldn't be against a change according to your wording or something alike. That would be fine! Still, I don't bother that much...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whatever001 View Post
    Hi all,

Is it allowed to raise racket for blocking the net kill?

Ex: I played the net kill, my friend raised the racket. The shuttle bounced back to my court.
    Isn't the answer very simple?

1. Yes it is allowed unless the racket raised obstruct the opponent's racket in any way.

2. Blocking with a static racket is perfectly okay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2