User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    birmingham
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Which strings should be pre-stretched

    Which of the strings listed below should be pre-stretched and at what percentage?

    ASHAWAY Zymax 70
    ASHAWAY Zymax 67
    ASHAWAY ZyMax 65
    ASHAWAY Zymax 62
    ASHAWAY Micro Legend XL
    ASHAWAY Flex 21
    ASHAWAY Rally 21

    VICTOR NS-880Z TI
    VICTOR VS-850
    VICTOR VS-800
    VICTOR VS-760
    VICTOR VS-660
    VICTOR VS-650

    YONEX BG55
    YONEX BG65
    YONEX BG65Ti
    YONEX BG68Ti
    YONEX BG70
    YONEX BG66
    YONEX BG66UM
    YONEX BG80
    YONEX BG80POWER
    YONEX NG95
    YONEX NG98
    YONEX NG99

    Feel Free to extend the list

  2. #2
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,812
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I will be honest with you I have had rackets strung and strung rackets with a pre stretch of 10% and also rackets without any machine pre-stretch on. I find rackets strung without a Machine pre stretch to be more lively for their tension and I observed no increase in frequency drop(string tension) with no pre stretch, so I don't do it/get it for those reasons.
    Strings only last me 2/3 weeks at very most, so not observed beyond this with tension loss. I use bg65 mostly. I always pre-stretch by hand to remove coil though.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    birmingham
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Which strings should be pre-stretched

    Which of the strings listed below should be pre-stretched and at what percentage?

    ASHAWAY Zymax 70
    ASHAWAY Zymax 67
    ASHAWAY ZyMax 65
    ASHAWAY Zymax 62
    ASHAWAY Micro Legend XL
    ASHAWAY Flex 21
    ASHAWAY Rally 21

    VICTOR NS-880Z TI
    VICTOR VS-850
    VICTOR VS-800
    VICTOR VS-760
    VICTOR VS-660
    VICTOR VS-650

    YONEX BG55
    YONEX BG65
    YONEX BG65Ti
    YONEX BG68Ti
    YONEX BG70
    YONEX BG66
    YONEX BG66UM
    YONEX BG80
    YONEX BG80POWER
    YONEX NG95
    YONEX NG98
    YONEX NG99

    Feel Free to extend the list

  4. #4
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,508
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    i would say prestretching would help hold tension better for all of them?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    358
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it was Mark A that had a graph showing that pre-stretching reduced the rate of tension loss, but eventually it would reach the same settled tension as a non-pre-stretched string. So for example a prestretched string at 25 lbs. might settle in 3 weeks when it might take the same string but not pre-stretched 1 week to settle. The only way to have a higher settled tension is to string at a higher tension.
    So you could do 1 lb. higher for example.

    So prestretching, doesn't prevent tension loss, it just reduces the rate of loss.

    Technically then, all strings can be pre-stretched. But the string's properties would affect its rate of tension loss.

    Bold = to my knowledge doesn't need prestretching.
    Underline = to my knowledge, does need prestretching
    Italics = not sure

    ASHAWAY Zymax 70
    ASHAWAY Zymax 67
    ASHAWAY ZyMax 65
    ASHAWAY Zymax 62

    ASHAWAY Micro Legend XL
    ASHAWAY Flex 21
    ASHAWAY Rally 21


    VICTOR NS-880Z TI
    VICTOR VS-850
    VICTOR VS-800

    VICTOR VS-760
    VICTOR VS-660
    VICTOR VS-650

    YONEX BG55
    YONEX BG65
    YONEX BG65Ti
    YONEX BG68Ti
    YONEX BG70
    YONEX BG66
    YONEX BG66UM

    YONEX BG80
    YONEX BG80POWER
    YONEX NG95
    YONEX NG98
    YONEX NG99

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Zymax strings and Yonex BG70 don't need prestretching. BG80, 85, and NBG 95, 98 are ok without prestretching.

    I agree with phaam's recommendations except BG65Ti. I found it loses tension rather quickly without prestretching.

    Sorry for being a spelling Nazi but did you mean Victor NS660Ti?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    birmingham
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i feel BG65Ti and BG66UM should be pre-stretchered. There two strings string lose tension very quick. If pre-strech slows down the process of losing tension, then i think strings should be pre-stretchered

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    birmingham
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    I will be honest with you I have had rackets strung and strung rackets with a pre stretch of 10% and also rackets without any machine pre-stretch on. I find rackets strung without a Machine pre stretch to be more lively for their tension and I observed no increase in frequency drop(string tension) with no pre stretch, so I don't do it/get it for those reasons.
    Strings only last me 2/3 weeks at very most, so not observed beyond this with tension loss. I use bg65 mostly. I always pre-stretch by hand to remove coil though.
    How do you pre-stretch by hand and how much pulling pressure should be applied

  9. #9
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,812
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amrit88 View Post
    i feel BG65Ti and BG66UM should be pre-stretchered. There two strings string lose tension very quick. If pre-strech slows down the process of losing tension, then i think strings should be pre-stretchered
    That's what I am saying, personally I have not found that it slows the process down(tested using frequency), used 66um as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by amrit88 View Post
    How do you pre-stretch by hand and how much pulling pressure should be applied
    Find middle of string, put it round a door knob, pull at the two ends together.

    No need to worry about a specific pressure because:
    Too little = just means their might be coil left in the string(bit of a pain for stringing, that's all)
    Too much = not possible by hand. The string will slip through your hand before you get to even 15lbs and you will string at higher than that anyway so the string will know no difference(If you can pull harder than that your door knob will probably rip off the door as a safety stop)

  10. #10
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,645
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    If I hand prestretch like that, my hands would bleed and the door knob would definitely come off.

    I just loop it around a stair spindle and curl up a short length of the ends around a wooden spatula handle (any handle smooth and round would work), and then yank with steadily increasing tension until I see that there's not much slack left.

    But don't overdo it or else you'll have a string that won't feel lively.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,398
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phaaam View Post
    I think it was Mark A that had a graph showing that pre-stretching reduced the rate of tension loss, but eventually it would reach the same settled tension as a non-pre-stretched string. So for example a prestretched string at 25 lbs. might settle in 3 weeks when it might take the same string but not pre-stretched 1 week to settle. The only way to have a higher settled tension is to string at a higher tension.
    So you could do 1 lb. higher for example.

    So prestretching, doesn't prevent tension loss, it just reduces the rate of loss.

    Technically then, all strings can be pre-stretched. But the string's properties would affect its rate of tension loss.

    Bold = to my knowledge doesn't need prestretching.
    Underline = to my knowledge, does need prestretching
    Italics = not sure

    ASHAWAY Zymax 70
    ASHAWAY Zymax 67
    ASHAWAY ZyMax 65
    ASHAWAY Zymax 62

    ASHAWAY Micro Legend XL
    ASHAWAY Flex 21
    ASHAWAY Rally 21


    VICTOR NS-880Z TI
    VICTOR VS-850
    VICTOR VS-800

    VICTOR VS-760
    VICTOR VS-660
    VICTOR VS-650

    YONEX BG55
    YONEX BG65
    YONEX BG65Ti
    YONEX BG68Ti
    YONEX BG70
    YONEX BG66
    YONEX BG66UM

    YONEX BG80
    YONEX BG80POWER
    YONEX NG95
    YONEX NG98
    YONEX NG99
    I prestretch everything - no reason not to, and it's become automatic for me now.

    It's a good way to get the string to behave itself, too, especially coming from a pack.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    birmingham
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I find strings like BG 66UM & BG 65ti move abit on the mains whilse playing, where as BG 80 string main retains the alignment. Can pre-streching help to avoid the mains string moving whilse playing?

  13. #13
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,398
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amrit88 View Post
    I find strings like BG 66UM & BG 65ti move abit on the mains whilse playing, where as BG 80 string main retains the alignment. Can pre-streching help to avoid the mains string moving whilse playing?
    66 and 65Ti move more because they're more slippery; BG80 is very rough.

    Prestretching won't keep things in line - you've just got to wait until the strings "bite" into each other.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    birmingham
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    66 and 65Ti move more because they're more slippery; BG80 is very rough.

    Prestretching won't keep things in line - you've just got to wait until the strings "bite" into each other.

    Thanks Mark for sharing this information. I had a general question relating pre-stretch. I string my voltric 70 at 28 by 29 lbs. Would it be safe to pre-strech at 10% at these tension or above? Well it not damaged or destroy the racket ?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •