Yonex Arcsaber 11 for a beginner

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Intlmouse, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Intlmouse

Intlmouse Regular Member

Hi guys,

I've been playing leisurely with friends over the past 8-10 months and really want to take the sport more seriously. Going to start taking lessons in the coming month. I own a muscle power 7 which was a gift but i rarely use it as Majority of the time I borrow my friends nanospeed 9900.

Im 5"11 and would consider myself a beginner. I play more singles than doubles. I enjoy playing a lot of drop shots/net play but love to get in a good smash when the opportunity is there.

I have found the nano speed weight and grip size good but I'm thinking after doing some research I might benefit more from a balanced racquet. Yonex Arcsaber 11 is what I'm leaning towards. I know it's a big investment for a beginner but I think it's a racquet I'll be using for a very long time so have no problems with it. I know it's still early for me as my style of play may potentially change when I get better but do you guys think this is a safe choice to start with?

Thanks for reading!

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

For a beginner, I would never suggest to start with a) a stiff racket or b) a premium racket.

Both ns9900 and arc11 hit both a) and b). Even if you think you will keep the racket for a long time, you will also be playing with beginners for a while so clashes will happen...

You say you play mainly singles so you will have to judge clash risk for yourself. However, I still advise against your choice(s). Never buy a racket to 'grow into', imo. Get a cheap racket you can experiment with.

Trial a whole bunch if possible!

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The question is, is it a safe choice for a beginner?

Probably yes.

Is it the most appropriate choice for a beginner ?

Possibly yes. That is dependent on luck.

Choosing a racquet is like what Amleto wrote - try a few!

4. Intlmouse

Intlmouse Regular Member

Thanks for both your responses. Im not as concerned with clash but good point to take on board.
    Would you recommend instead for me to go for a balanced medium stiff frame? I've been also considering Victor BS12 which matches that well. I figured I seem to get on well with the stiffness of the nanospeed but that could be my inexperience. Any other suggestions to look at if not either? Unfortunately I don't have the luxury to try out different rackets in court other than feeling them in store.

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

voltric5, voltric7, mx60, mx90, bs12, bs09, arc7, tk6000

buying a racket blind is always going to be hit and miss - much riskier buying expensive racket when you have little experience of what you like!

6. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

If you can clear baseline to baseline effortlessly with the 9900, I will say the stiffness of the Arc11 is not an issue for you. If not, a medium-stiff is better for you at your current level. Once you get to the next level, you will feel the shaft being whippy and thats when you can "graduate" to a stiff shaft racket and will appreciate it more as well.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Depends on how deep your pockets are :)

In my earlier days, I bought two high end racquets but as you might know, there is a term called "gear acquisition syndrome" - i.e. we get curious about different gear. So I traded those two racquets away.

15 years later, I ended up going back to the same model - the venerable classic Yonex carbonex 20! Still kicking myself for trading away the two original ones I had - ahh, the follies of youth :( :crying:

8. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

My coach told me that to buy rackets and not waste my money, I should try other peoples' rackets first. If I like one, I should buy it!

To this day, I have not heeded this advice, haha.

However, I do advise you to try out rackets before you buy them. A local distributor strings his rackets before he sells them so people can try them, so you might find distributors near you that do that too. It is very helpful. I found a racket with very good repulsion. Even if you can try a racket's dry swing, you may be able to find a weight or weight distribution that doesn't fit your play style.

Try each racket out as much as you can. There are reasons that some people choose Armortec over Arcsaber, or Nanoray over Nanospeed. Personally, I play singles with a Muscle Power racket even though I don't focus on smashing.

Don't be afraid to try the intermediate rackets in a series you like; you might be pleasantly surprised. I hope this helps.

9. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Maybe you can ask your coach to recommend you one? My coach got me one racket after a few sessions of training. He wanted the racket to suit me so that I wouldn't spend too much time adjusting to properties of the racket.

True to it, I spent less than half an hour adjusting to it as compared to some other rackets I have before my coach me the racket and I end up loving that racket more than any others.

You can try out some of the rackets that your coach recommends. If you still don't like it, then you might want to go with your gut feel since you have played for quite a while. Borrow or ask if you could trial the rackets out before purchasing is a good piece of advice if you don't have the finances...

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    welcome to the world of badminton, i am excited for you, and it is certainly wonderful that you're a beginner. because you haven't experienced much, it's like a blank chalkboard ready to be drawn on! i would suggest that you try out as many rackets as possible. say maybe for each session you stick with one racket, the next session play with another. if the ns9900 is working with you, why not stick with it and see where it takes you. of course it's a very stiff racket and you might not generate as much power but then again you'll try out different rackets too.

the arc11 is a very good choice even for beginners and intermediates. it's an even balanced racket with a bit of lightness to it, shaft is, i would say, medium stiff. because it's quickness and balance, it's suitable for doubles as well as singles. this is just my opinion, again, but i always have this racket in my bag because i know that on a day where my shots are off because my body's just not doing what i want it to do either because i'm lazy or tired, i know that i can rely on the arc11 to provide more consistency, a tiny bit! :)

11. Intlmouse

Intlmouse Regular Member

Thanks for all your responses. It's amazing to have such a great community whom are willing to help.
    I have taken all your advice into account. Looking at the price point of the arc 11 and suggestive stiffness. I think I have decided to go for the brave sword 12 strung to 21 22 lbs (victors come unstrung?). Hopefully the medium stiff shaft might help with my power as i develop? Am I wrong in thinking this? Mainly play with nylon/plastic shuttles. Anyone think this might be a bad idea if I went in this direction?

12. Intlmouse

Intlmouse Regular Member

Excuse my ignorance as this is my first time really looking into and understanding rackets. Playing we shuttles as a beginner I think I'll benefit more with a lower tension. Perhaps 18/19 instead?
    Can anyone explain if there is any relationship between have a stiff/medium racket vs the tension you choose?

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

21lbs is a good starting point. Very reasonable.

14. Intlmouse

Intlmouse Regular Member

I'm still lost in regards to what tension I should start with. It seems some say novice players playing with plastic shuttles should settle for lower tensions? I have been playing for a 8-10 months now but first time getting strings done so unsure.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

For plastic shuttles, you'll want something with more oomph (ie head weight) than BS12, which is head light. Something like VT70 or Arc7.

Tension for plastic, somewhere around 21-22 lbs with thick soft feel string like BG65 will be forgiving for beginner technique.

#15 visor, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It's no big deal. Don't get caught up in minor details that won't make a big difference at your stage. 21-22lbs is a good starting point and then you adjust to your own developing preferences.

concentrate more on doing a good striking action on the shuttle.

TopRamen likes this.
  17. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

Once again, where's the like button when you need it.

18. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Follow this completely! Don't be like me before breaking strings less then a week, become consistent hitting the sweetspot then change!

19. ahcash

ahcash Regular Member

Agree with others.. shortlist some of the racquets you are interest in and take your time to try them out from borrowing, renting etc. I have wasted so much money trying to find "the one", buying racquets, played for a few weeks and found out I didn't like it and sell for less.

I love my Arc11. I am an intermediate player. Make sure it is in your shortlist..:D:D

20. bottleneck1

bottleneck1 Regular Member

I've got to disagree on some of the things being said on string tension.

I'm ''intermediate at best'', and because I cannot consistantly hit the sweet spot, anything higher than 20lbs is hard to play with. 22+ and it feels like I can't hit with any power at all - it's all gone !!!!.... and the reason of course, because the sweet spot is tiny, and I am missing it consistantly.

With plastic shuttles at my level, I prefer more like 18-19lb.

You really can tell the difference with just 1lb difference. 2lb difference is massive.

I would really reccomend doing what I intend to do myself -
    Get yourself two rackets that are the same, and string them to slightly different tensions. You can re-string from time to time to get it just right, and youd have a useful spare.

I also reccomend an isometric head for you. The racket I have without one, I am a lot less consistant - again a smaller sweet spot.

so , flexible shaft, isometric head, and get two of them... keep the tension low !