Choice of shoes??

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by calvinlgoh, Mar 17, 2004.

1. calvinlgoh

calvinlgoh Regular Member

Student
    Looking to get a pair of shoes for the indoor gym that I am just starting to go to...

I have only owned basketball shoes all my life and don't know what criteria we need to consider when buying a pair of badminton shoes.

I know that i cannot go wrong by choosing well known models of brands such as Yonex, Asics, Hi tech and other badminton specific brand but would like something a little different.

What do you guys think about using indoor soccer shoes, specifically this pair.... (picture) Nike Total 90 indoor soccer shoes. Will I encounter any problems wearing these. I am currently wearing basketball shoes and don't really think its that bad but I need something with a gum sole, or non-colored sole... just to please myself...:D

thanks

calvin

Attached Files:

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    If you are used to wearing basketball shoes.. wearing this shoe might give you some problem due to its thin soles and no ankle support. It is not as tight as basketball shoe. But anyhow , you can get used to wearing this shoe.. just that don't treat this shoe like your usual basketball shoe or it might hurts.

3. da ding

da ding Regular Member

Student
    i have worn these indoor football shoes before, albeit for playing football:) and i would hesitate to wear them for badminton... they have little or no ankle support, bad cushioning and the base is not stable, making it easy to twist your ankle.
    stick with badminton shoes for badminton

4. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    HeWWW that must hurt after a jump smash. Poor cushioning, Avoid it!

5. calvinlgoh

Student
    Wow... not the reply I was looking for because I really like the look of the shoes...
    :D

In that case, I will probably go the the SHB89... thank you all... I was very close to buying the Nikes earlier this morning... thankfully i consulted the badminton pros....:D :D :D

calvin

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Your welcome.. we are glad to help our fellow Bfers

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    SHB89 is a good choice :)
    I have been using it for 5 months and it's been great. :)

However, the durability is just ok, nothing really impressive.

8. badmad

badmad Regular Member

calvin,
    I suppose Hi-Tec shoes are better option... instead of SHB* shoes, Hi-Tec shoes are of better quality. a search on this topic will yield a lot of threads. in malasia, i don't think it'll be a prob getting hi-tec ones.

9. chhayalak

chhayalak Regular Member

Poor University Student
    I just went to sports chek and but the cheapest court shoes i could find. I ended up with some indoor k-swiss shoes, and i use it for everything. Whether it be riding the bike, badminton, squash, or vball. :)

However, i got what i paid for.. the soles are coming off but i still wear them. I havent had any problems and my feet dont hurt.

Maybe when these die out ill buy a high end court shoe!:)

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sounds like a good buy, if the power cushion and ankle support are there and reasonable.. Can you post a pic of this shoe?

Soles are off, and u still wear them? Wow... I mean, sounds a little bit risky for the feet.

11. Brave_Turtle

Student
    Oh yeah K-swiss shoes are very confortable. I wear them off court but never think of using them in badminton court.

Hey Calvin, SHB89 is a very good choice, I loved them but like other say the durability is not that great. Another great choice for shoes is Mizuno wave and Asic.

Mizuno wave shoe look fancy and they are great!

Check it out^^

12. Brave_Turtle

Student
    Here's mizuno wave epic:

HaWW sorry cant post pic, doesnt work

#12 Brave_Turtle, Mar 18, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2004
  13. calvinlgoh

Student
    I am now in the US and Hi Tech shoes are hard to come by. I think I've only seen them on Ebay once in a while. Kswiss and other shoes(especially those for volleyball) are more easily available.

I think I'll stick with my basketball shoes for now untill I find a good deal for the SHB*

calvin

14. chhayalak

chhayalak Regular Member

Poor University Student

Hi,

Well the glue is starting to tear away on the sole.. it's not totally off but yeah i still wear it. I dont mind --- danger is my middle name! err heh.. as for the pic no i cant because well i dont a web or a digicam... :S i could take one at work if i wanted too but it might raise a few eyebrows with some people at the lab.

Hehe.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    For Hi Tech shoes, I believe www.badminton.net might still have some in stock. You can also check their prices for Yonex ones.

So far, the best deal I can get for Yonex shoes are from www.nycbadminton.com (phone or email quote), but after the shipping, it might not worth all the extra effort. Plus, it might be better to buy shoes locally, as u need to try it first.

16. shawntn

shawntn Regular Member

Calvin,

i suggest you get the new SHB-98MX shoes. I used to play with cross trainer shoes, they worked great or so i thought. I have three pairs of badminton shoes. One is Hiqua and two Yonex. I must admit i move faster with these shoes comparing to my cross trainer shoes. They are extremely light, flexible and comfortable. It definately has improved my game and it's so much easier moving around the court.

Oh by the way, you play in san grabriel, check them out at the proshop. I prices are reasonable. Ask them if you could try one on and and give it run around the courts.

#16 shawntn, Mar 18, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2004
  17. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    If you've only worn basketball shoes in the past, badminton shoes r a big change over... they're a LOT thinner, which I didn't find comfortable when I first started wearing them (and still dont feel comfortable now)

I'd stick with just regular court shoes. Thicker bottoms than the Yonex ones, I definately feel more comfortable in them.

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The thicker bottom increases the chance for sprain ankle or even sprain knee, though.