Do Overgrips affect performance of Head heavy rackets?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Nova89, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

I just recently bought a Yonex Voltric (VT) 7 and was too excited to try it out to see the talk behind its good smash power for its head heavy quality. I compared it with my other racket which is a Yonex Nanospeed 9900. It felt like the same, and I mean it delivered same smash speed on the shuttle. I put an overgrip to the VT7 before I tried it on the court. I had a hard time wrapping that grip in a very nice way I just dont wanna take it off and redo the whole thing so I might just ask here if anyone had thought about the issue. I know for sure the NS 9900 is good with overgrip but vt7, not sure if it will need one to see its smash potential.

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

A single overgrip? No. If you use many, or extra replacement grips, then your hand/grip will have to work much differently and this definitely CAN have an affect, but it's down to biomechanics, not the racket.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i agree. when i used to have two overgrips playing in high school and college i feel that i get more power. as soon as i realized that with just one overgrip or start with a smaller grip to begin with, i get a lot more flexibility and control, i stayed with it for a while. then i would miss having that little extra power, so i double grip all my active rackets and there is a slight pace increase in my shots. however, i didn't notice any change in racket balance, if any.

4. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

It will be head heavier as compared to when you do it with a replacement grip.

I've tried that before and I wonder how come it makes so much difference in the balance point.

5. decoy

decoy Regular Member

makes a difference in the balance point because you put (somebody who's done the math will know the exact number here) a percentage of the racquets weight at the very tip of the racquet so it has the most torque possible to pull it down because it's at the edge.

6. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

I removed the grip guys, I dont know but I felt more of the head heaviness quality and power with my smash. Its not like swinging a nanospeed anymore. I can feel that pull when my elbow reach the peak upon leaping mid air and I've had people say it definitely looked faster than the NS judging how the shuttle flew down.