Li YB : Lin Dan not definitely entering the Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by kwun, Mar 18, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Li YB says in a Chiense article that Lin Dan's spot in the Olympics is still not sure

He says Lin Dan condition is definitely very good lately, he hasn't lost a match in 4 months. however, whether he is allowed to play in the Olympics depends on his performance in the next few months. "after the AE, i told the reporters in front of Lin Dan, whether Lin Dan can enter the Olympics is still to be decided."

LiYB's biggest worry is for Lin Dan, a very passionate player, to be too proud after the victories. He asked the media not to overly praise Lin Dan, and wait for the Olympics is over. "after he get the Olympics gold, you can say anything you like."

2. WoAiZhongGuo

WoAiZhongGuo Regular Member

Once a Chinese, always a Chinese..... live in Engl
    I think LiYB has a very good point there. After all, Lin Dan is very young and all the praises probably will go to his head and make him too full of himself.

Yeah, i think that although Lin Dan is definitely on his winning streak, there is a not so small chance that he will fail China in the Olympics.

3. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    This is something very important for a coach to say in front of his young student (read grasshopper), because you do not want to make the student think they are invincible.

You want them to keep level headed about what is happening, and so they do not go into their matches too over confident.
    Of course on the flip side, a young spitfire may see that as a slap in the face, saying that "you aren't worthy" and use that as motivation to play even better, and prove that you are the best.
    Very wise of LiYB being that he has been in such positions before... truly an outstanding coach.

-Kelvin

4. yukiko

yukiko Regular Member

student
    mmm it's so nice have a coach like him. he know how to make lin dan stay as a senior even he has been no 1 china player. hope lin dan won't be *big head* with his all victories. go lin dan go. jia you :D

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    From the rate that he is going right now , i think he is unbeatable. I do agree with you all that if he is too bigheaded , it might cause his downfall but i'm sure LiYB always reminds him of that.

6. SDK-MSN

SDK-MSN Regular Member

i'm afraid he's gonna be a tough one to beat...
    but then..we'll see later on in the olympics..let's just cheer for all your favourite shuttlers ya'll!!!! :)

7. TourSpEdition

TourSpEdition Regular Member

Student
    But u can't say 100% Lin Dan gonna win the Olympics.Its the Olympics!The competition of all competitions.Everybody who qualified would go all out to win the gold medal!! :D

8. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    from recent results..... i think Lin Dan has secure his place to Athens....... :D

9. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    I'm pretty sure Li Yongbo will send Lin Dan. My guess is that Bao will sit out despite his recent improvements. Well... I don't really know. It depends on LiYB's mood I guess, but as it stands I don't think he'll have the heart to deny Xia and Chen Hong of the chance to go to the Olympics since it's likely it'll be their last major tournament before they retire.

10. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

maybe.... Lin Dan n Bao CL r still young n the no. of years playing badminton is shorter than Chen Hong n Xuanze.....
    they still have chances even 4 years later to another OLympics....
    don even noe if Xuanze or Chen Hong will play until 2008 :(

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Another key facotr: Chen's elbow and Xia's back. ;)

12. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

u mean their injuries??? hiaz.... yah... it's a factor tat hinder their performance in recent tournaments..... :(
    i think the recent best is Korea Open whereby both Chen Hong n Xuanze r finalists

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Current rank for the chances of 4 shuttlers (if no injuries):

Lin, Xia, Bao, Chen

14. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    i think lin dan will be going to athens...as his performance is still a-ok....and if china wanna have a secure gold medal..
    i think lin dan and xia xuanze is the biggest bet for getting the gold medal...for china i mean :p

15. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    due to the result of this few month, i think lin dan will be going to athens........if he does not have any injured...

16. willie

willie Regular Member

draftsperson
    My prediction is : Lin, Bao & Chen. It seems that LYB has some affection for Bao. As Chen over Xia because the latter is already a World Champion.

17. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    Which is more reason why Xia should be sent over Chen, not to mention Xia has beaten Chen in KO2004 and is a bronze medalist in the 2000 Olympics. I think LiYB will send players based on their chances to obtain the gold.

18. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

i think lin/bao/xia would go... but i also want chen to go... but i dun want lin bao or xia dropping out...sigh*:(

19. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    in some ways i think being proud is a good thing, because it give you confidence to beat the other guy. With that kind of confidence, it's hard to lose the battle mentally, any player will really need to beat him in terms of skills!

and even he lost, the ego factor/confidence will come in and make him train like a madman!

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I am almost positive that Chen Hong will not go to Olympics.

Between Xia and Chen H, Xia has won All England, WGPF, WC. i.e. more big matches.

Chen has lost crucial ties in Sudirman Cup, WC (2001), lost to Hafiz in AE, makes things difficult for himself in games, difficult for him to change his game when losing. This will count against him.

I think this is the reason why Sun Jun was picked to go to Sydney. He had proven himself many times over (Sudirman cup, WC, TC, WGPF) in the big occasion where it counts.