need double tips

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Benasp, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

so hello everyone, i need advice from you.

i play mixed double but we are the best team in our region and we had no other team to play with. So we play against men double team.

The difference is that the men double play side to side defensive and the trick is to smash on the center line to get them confused. And to get nice center drop shot is also good when they back too much.
    In mixed double, the girls is always in front and i something have the double reflex to drop in her hand, kind of thing my partnere doesn't apperciate. If the opponent dont go side to side in deffensive should i aim the center or the side of the court.
    And one last thing for now. What return is better when i get a low back court drive.
    Drop shot or drive???. eVERITHING IN PARRALLÈLE.

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Whatever it is, keep it low. I am assuming that you and your mixed partner always plays traditional mixed (where the lady always stays at the front), right? Theoratically, it's easier to play against level doubles because they have to coordinate themselves. More position shifting meant more chances of confusion. Attack the sides when they're on the offense and between them when they're on the defense. Also practice more fast drops on the forecourt corners.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Depends where the opposition are on court.
    Either can be ok if the opposition can't cut it off.
    e.g. Playing a drive means the opposition get to play a shot very quickly after your drive. You may still be out of position.

But also, maybe neither. Sometimes the best option will be to clear.

4. chhayalak

chhayalak Regular Member

Poor University Student
    Hi there is no set way you should play.

You should play close attention to how the players position themselves. The best bet is to hit to the open spots. Here are some strategies i suggest;

returning serve;

If the girl is serving you should flick (keep it low) to the back hand and force the guy to play the backhand. If he's a decent play he should be able to clear it down the line. Else if he's even moderately weak on his backhand the shuttle will probably end up in the mid range are and you'll be able on the offensive for smash. You can also play short to the opposite side of the girl that is serving. The guy will most likely be standing behind her, and he will usually expect the girl to play it. I usually find the girls are slow to react after the serve. This is a good play and if she does make it.. just play it short in the middle. The guy will most likely be diddle daddling in the back.

If the guy is serving. The girl usually stands in front of the guy and the guy serves from behind. Atleast this is the traditional way. You can do pretty much the same thing as i described. It's always wise to hit in the corner of poeples backhand because traditionally people are just more weak on the backhand.

During the rally; it all depends on the guy usually (ignore the girl ) hehehe kinda sexist, but if hes good at returning tram drives, and tram driving back.. i would suggest to play cross court drops.. this forces the girl to move. People usually dont expect it.. BUt you have to mix it up. I usually like to tram drive down the line and if he hits it back down the line play a cross court drop. Just make sure your partner is ready for the return.

If you are serving;

i would suggest serving inside the the center T! this gives you abit extra time if he they chose to hit it to the corners. Oppose to serving on the out side line the person doesnt have the cross the bird to hit it down the line.

yeah thats all i can think of now.. i ahve to get to class.

Mind you this is from experience dont take it absolute.

Thanks.

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

the sides. midcourt.
    if the guy at the back has to come forward and sideways, it leaves a gap at the back on the opposite side. If the girl moves back a bit to help cover the gap at the back it is then easier to push the girl to the back of the court. If she doesn't, the man has to cover a lot of court.

if the girl at the front goes for it, it'll leave an opening at the net on the opposite side. If the man moves sideways to help cover that gap, they are then in a sides formation. You can then more easily attack the girl.

6. alzgodemort

alzgodemort Regular Member

student
    In my opinion, you should play side by side in defensive, even in mixed double. the reason is that if the opponent has the occasion to smash it is impossible to cover both lines... There are certains rules though: the guys lift parrallel, the girl lift cross courts so that the guys has to smash cross court to smash on her...

i hope i have been clear

my english is not that great... i come from quebec

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

As a man in mixed doubles, it is often wise to avoid cross-court attacking shots (smashes or drops). This is because the lady - if the pair are strong - is probably positioned cross-court from you, and will be able to cut off your drops and smashes.

8. kontrabando

kontrabando Regular Member

IT Manager
    i agree...hitting cross-court to the lady is only effective if she's weak...