Is Lin Dan cheating my tipping the shuttle?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by doflamingocroco, Jun 22, 2014.

1. doflamingocroco

doflamingocroco New Member

In almost every match against Lee Chong Wei, you can see Lin Dan bending the tips of the shuttle every now and then to slow down/speed up the birdie. Is this cheating? I know that tipping only changes the speed by a little, and Lin Dan only does this to one or two feathers. However, does this give Lin Dan an advantage? Does Lin Dan's action tipping the birdie contribute to his amazing record against Lee Chong Wei?

2. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I've never seen it...

3. adizanink

adizanink Regular Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-j-qLZTL9w

take a look at 17:48 when Lin Dan changes shuttles. You can see him pinching the edge of the birdie。 

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Regardless of what he may (or may not) be doing to a shuttle on a few occasions, the simple reason why Lin Dan has an amazing record against Lee Chong Wei is because Lin Dan is simply amazing. :cool:

Besides, that would have been a lot of fiddled feathers if it was cheating which achieved a 22-9 head-to-head record. ;)
    ___

There is little profit in starting a thread that could quickly become inflammatory about tampered birdies (or air conditioning systems for that matter). Much better to say that they are two great players and that we fans have been privileged to see them in their primes. :)

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

In that particular spot, he's not tipping the shuttle. It looks like he's straightening a feather .... all in plain view of the officials and his opponent.
    More offensive, by far, is about 10 seconds earlier when he's clearing his nose at the back of the court. :(

6. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

It's not unusual, even normal people and low-level players do it in practice. Not that big a factor.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

smoothening out the feathers you mean... not clearing the nose at the back ... :p

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well said, Fidget, can't agree with you more. Precisely, at most you can say Lin Dan has the habit of straightening the feather(s), even Lee CW did the same at around 23:52 in the video.

Making a mountain out of a molehill, nah, it's not even a molehill. Exactly, "even normal and low-level players do it in practice." If anything, I'm pretty sure LCW will be the first to protest vociferously.

In table-tennis, many players have the habit of rubbing the ball on their shorts, some occasionally blow at it, a few even rub the racquet rubber with their palm or on their shorts. What effect does it have on the ball/racquet, cheating? Absolutely nothing.

What's more funny is none of Lin Dan's opponents or, for that matter, all the professional players, coaches and court officials ever notice it, maybe some did but thought nothing of it. Why ?

If it is an issue,just simply examining the shuttle immediately after anybody is caught doing it, not just Lin Dan is guilty of it, would expose the 'dirty trick'. Better still, petition BWF to disallow "tipping the shuttle" on pain of punishment, a fault that warrants a yellow card or , worse still,a point lost , and incorporate it into the Laws of Badminton.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Again in the video, you can see LCW fiddling with the shuttle at 28.22 and just before the 29th minute. Carry on watching and I'm sure you can see both of them doing that throughout the match.

10. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

To answer the OP, squeezing the shuttle or clearly tampering with the flight/speed of the shuttle is illegal. A yellow card can be given for misconduct for this.

16.6 A player shall not

16.6.2 deliberately modify or damage the shuttle in order to change its speed or its flight.

When it comes to straightening out the shuttle, it should be done 1 feather at a time (not all feathers at once as that squeezes the shuttle and alters its flight).

Btw, I've seen quite a few professional players squeeze the shuttle, especially when they request for a change. It's not uncommon.

11. doflamingocroco

Yea at 28 22 you can see Lee smoothing out the feathers, but at 17 50 or 17 55 you can see Lin Dan pinching the feathers rather than brushing it. What Lee is doing is brushing the feathers, but Lin Dan seems to be pinching it. Would that be tipping? Personally I have not had much experience with feathered birdies (only a few times in some amateur tournaments), so I don't know if pinching and slightly bending the feathers would make a difference to the game. Thanks for all the replies :D

12. doflamingocroco

Ha ha yea. It is quite obvious that both players are absolutely AMAZING, and I love them both. They are what got me interested in badminton in the first place: the heated rivalry between them is so exciting. I guess I should have said this in my original post XD Please don't argue guys :p

13. doflamingocroco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-j-qLZTL9w

at 18:00 is where I see Lin Dan pinching the birdie. That does not look like smoothing out the feathers. Also, he just switched feathers why would he want to smooth it out? Thanks for the answers guys :)

14. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    If he was thinking to gain an advantage, LCW smashed the high serve down the line, so whatever LD did to the feathers was to LCW's advantage.

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I see what you are saying it was a brand new shuttle he was not straightening it out and it was strange. As CST said tampering with the shuttle to change it's speed is illegal, just to make that clear. What was LD doing? just looked like some sort of tick. LCW checked the shuttle on the very next point so you can be sure LD had not tipped it.

16. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i wonder if LD has a condition which when he is physically active his nose just runs? or maybe sweat just hangs on by the nose and won't let go unless he blows it? allegies?

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If it's a habit, you just do it unconsciously most of the time, the reason behind it is not important, whether the shuttle is new or not. I'm pretty sure all Lin Dan's opponents, not least LCW, and all the court officials, umpires, service and linejudges and everyone watching on site and on TV know better.

I feel like saying the OP's thread is inappropriately phrased. Whatever his motive, he could have asked:" Is Lin Dan tipping the shuttle and, if so, is it allowed?" Instead , his implication is so negative and unnecessarily provocative (unintended?). To further imply that Lin Dan did it so many times without being caught by all the expert eyes is even more preposterous.

I was thinking, even if anybody tried to tamper with the shuttle, how do you control its flight and how do you know what shot your opponent is going to play and take advantage of it? Besides, getting caught "tipping the shuttle" just once or twice and duly punished is deterrence enough, who can be doing it time after time unnoticed?

18. doflamingocroco

Thanks for the reply, I am aware that my phrasing was not too good for my question. I did not want to start any sort of argument for which player is better and also did not want to talk so negatively of Lin Dan. Next time I'll be careful of my wording :)