Makes No Difference for Mia, Tony

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by tama-aki, Mar 18, 2004.

1. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    http://badminton-indonesia.com/phpnuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=72

They were Indonesian hero and heroine and yet now they will have to come home as "enemies". Mia Audina and Tony Gunawan will be back to their homeland for Thomas & Uber cup but will probably refuse to play against the home team.

When Mia's wish--to play for Indonesia and train in the Netherlands a couple of years ago--was refused, she had no other choice but to continue her career under her husband's country's flag.

"I will not play against the Indonesian team," says Mia. Mia managed to lift up the dutch women's badminton to win the ticket to the semifinal of the last Uber Cup's final round. They even trashed the Indonesians then.

When she was 14, Mia played the decider match of the Uber Cup when she beat Zhang Ning and helped Indonesia to keep the cup at home. "It does not matter, we have Yao Jie and the rest. We could still win even if I don't have to play," says Mia when asked about possibility of playing against the Indonesians.

With such long stretch of time being in the world's arena, Mia--at 24 this year--is the one of the players who could stop the Chinese ladies. With Camilla Martin withdrawing soon from the scene, Mia may have to be a single fighter for a while.

She said she was born and raised in Indonesia and she does not want the supporters at the stadium to jeer and labelled her as a traitor. Despite a good welcoming in Indonesia Open, Mia still think this occasion will be a very sensitive moment to her.

Asked if she regretted to leave Indonesia, Mia only answered it was not fully her fault. She realised that the decision had been partly due to her marriage to a dutch man. But she thinks PBSI shares the load for not granting her proposal to keep playing for Indonesia.

Tony Gunawan is now a student at a university in the USA majoring in computer engineering. His move to the States followed his girlfriend's intention to pursue a degree there. Etty was once Indonesia's leading ladies' doubles player paired with Cynthia Tuwankotta--now playing for Switzerland.

America did not waste time learning Tony's move to the country. Tony is now the coach, the player, the organiser, team captain and many other functions in the American Badminton Association.

When learning the news that USA will be in the same group with Indonesia and China, Tony laughed and said,"Now, that's difficult."

"I am not going to play against Indonesia. It's not goint to make any difference. We will lose anyway," says Tony. Once world's top doubles with Candra Wijaya, Tony made a shocking appearance in the Thomas Cup qualification rounds by playing in men's singles too. And he did both well enough to finally take America to the final round.

But Tony said his experience and knowledge on Indonesia and the tournament will be more than beneficial to the team. He will be the coordinator for the team and assist them while in the country.

Both players will come home, among other Indonesian talents that are now overseas--like Rexy with his England squad. At least it's their chance to see their home town despite their decision not to play against their former team-mates.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Whatever happened before their departure, it is heartwarming to learn that both Mia and Tony still love their country! These are the true patriots and Indonesia should be proud to have them as citizens! Indonesia should also be proud that these two special young adults are contributing to the development of the game in their adopted countries.

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

What happens Loh if Naturalised Indonesians

refuse to play for Singapore or Hong Kong against

their original country.

4. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Re: -

First, what's naturalised Indonesians? I've never heard this term before, honestly :D

Well, as much as these players have intentions, they will still need to ask for permission from the coach/manager. Like Mia, she said she would ask a permission from the coach to not play against Indonesia. For Tony, he'll ask himself I guess :D

In my opinion, since these people are professionally contracted to play for some countries, they should perform their duty and be loyal the countries where they are hired.

When Mia played at the Indonesian Open, spectators' response was supportive and cheering, not calling her a traitor. When she played at the Singapore Open, we cheer her and not call her a traitor.

Although badminton is not yet a professional sport--like tennis--I think we kinda realise that when a player is dismissed from a badminton association, he'll have to continue his career as an athlete. Won't you?

And I think most of the audience will not think people like Mia as traitors. Instead, they are proud that one of their players are actually demanded by other countries. Nevertheless, it's never gonna be easy if you're gonna fight against someone who used to be your 'friend'. I won't be able to cope with it, no matter how professional I can be (explains why I don't become a pro athlete LOL--nice excuse to cover up my weakness :D).

5. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    This raises interesting issues as in Mia's case, she's playing for the Netherlands because PBSI refuses to allow her to play for Indonesia. In the Indonesia Open, she's representing herself (as it's not a team event like Uber) so there is no conflict there.

What I am interested in was did Mia played against Indonesia in the last Uber Cup in China? If she did, then the only reason why she wouldn't play against Indonesia is because of the location and as we all are very aware of, the Indonesian specators can be very vocal and more as well.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    tell me this is a coincidence. with two high profile oversea Indonesians playing for another country, normally it would be ok as likely they will probably lose in their group and won't face the home country indonesia, but look at the TC/UC draw. USA/Tony will be facing Indonesia in their TC group match, while Netherlands/Mia will be facing Indoneisa in their UC group match.

furthermore, the 3rd country in each group is China.

in other words, if Mia/Tony keep their words, then they won't compete in their group matches against Indonesia.

is that a coincidence?

TC:

Grp A : China , Indonesia , USA

UC:

Grp A : China , Indonesia , Netherlands

7. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Interesting draws

These does raise some interesting speculations to the IBF "draws".... ;)

8. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Hehhehe yes very coincidental I guess. But the draw was broadcast live on tv and everyone was in great intense especially when Indonesia was groupped with China for the Thomas Cup.

And then after the draw finished, reporters asked Mia and Tony about their willingness to play against Indonesia. Tony said no definitely, Mia said will ask her coach not to put her in the line.

:)
    Aki

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Bbn, I'm sorry for not having replied earlier and I must thank Tama-aki for answering in the interim. I must have missed your post, but lately I have not been getting "prompt messages" from the PC as I normally will receive on threads which I am a participant. I wonder whether it has to do with kwun's new software?

I presume what you termed "naturalised Indonesians" as those who subsequently became Singapore citizens, like Ronald Susilo? Then this is no problem as they have changed their citizenship. Btw, these players are considered professionals as they are employed full-time by the SBA.

Now, even for Indonesians who are not S'pore citizens, they are also professionals and therefore are expected to play even against their Indonesian counterparts. They can't refuse unless they have decided to leave S'pore or they will be faced with the prospect of not being employed by the SBA subsequently. Their cases are slightly different in that they were not Indonesia's top national players when they were employed by S'pore, unlike Mia and Tony.

I used to think that for team events like the TC, the players must be citizens of that country they are representing. But I remembered that Zhao Jianhua represented S'pore before when he was coach of the S'pore team. I guess it is like Mia or Tony. They can represent Holland or USA respectively in the UC and TC once they have satisfied the residency requirements. But I don't know whether they can be considered as full-time professionals? I'll be surprised if they are and dare to refuse to play for their adopted countries against their own countrymen. Can't be for Tony as I understand he is studying in the US.

Hi tama-aki

Did I get it right that you were at last year's Singapore Open. As your location is in Guelph (?), ON (Ontario ?), are you a Singaporean working or studying there, or both?

#9 Loh, Apr 1, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Same problem with my computer.

Between you and I I think what with the shrinking economies in Asia, people should be encouraged to market their skills in foreign lands to earn foreign exchange.

In some countries they are still playing the old European

Tactics of 70s, governments providing jobs, and giving tax breaks to companies to absorb unemployed graduates.

So instead of enterprising youth there is more of the "world owes me a living types" around.

I think people venturing overseas should be honoured rather than the other way round.

11. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I read recently Mia won't be playing at all in the Uber Cup finals.
    Tony will be playing, but not in the match against Indonesia.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think it is more of a loss for Netherlands than for USA. with or without Tony, USA isn't gonna get anywhere anyway, but Netherlands was the semi-finalists last time around and Mia was a major factor to their success!

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I can't agree with you more. In S'pore, we are really facing this problem. Our youths have been well catered for, for many years and they now have this 'government/parent dependency syndrome'. Despite advice for them to ply their expertise overseas, especially in China now, our young people are not taking it too seriously. They want the 'safe' jobs with the government and yet they expect to become rich, to be able to secure the "5 C's" (Cash, Credit Card, Car, Condo, Country Club) in the shortest possible time! They complain about many things, including the stress of studying hard.

But, you and I know that without a good education, we can't get very far. Of course there are exceptions, but as other countries are catching up, our young must continue to improve and upgrade and must learn to be more adventurous and take risk.

Indeed, those who are able to export their skills and services will be the ones who will be far better off. They will be the ones who can achieve the 5 C's much faster than others. There is a limit to what the government or the parents can help.

But to be fair to our government, they have already started revamping and restructuring the systems way ahead of other neighbouring countries. Indeed changes to our education, civil service, industry, trade, commerce, the services sector, etc, all with the goal of improving things further to meet the challenges ahead. The initial structural changes brought about great pain - downsizing, retrenchment, unemployment, financial hardship, family uprooting, etc, but things will be better off a few years down the road.

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Can you imagine if there are more Indonesians playing for other country.. for eg if there is 3 or 4 main Indonesian players representing "A" country.. and "A" country is going to play against Indonesia and the players choose not to play? :confused:

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Mia is playing in the Uber Cup, just not against Indonesia. I think the Dutch still have the ability to beat Indonesia without Mia but the chance is slimmer.

#15 hcyong, Apr 4, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2004
  16. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Complicated :D
    I am Indonesian, live in Singapore but now work in Canada :)

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    :p
    Singapore loves you a great deal more if you were a Singaporean as you are able to ply your services overseas - a foreign talent! Hope you enjoy your days in Canada.