Racket frame distorted during stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by casshern808, Jun 29, 2014.

1. casshern808

casshern808 Regular Member

hi all,

I am new to badminton stringing and recently got myself a PP pioneer 6 stringing machine. The racket frame distorted at the 4 o'clock mark during the stringing process(4 knots stringing) at 11kg(roughly 24lbs). This happened when i started stringing the horizontal part of the racket. I stopped and cut away all the strings because I am afraid I might further damage the racket. The racket returned to its original shape and I noticed a small crack on the frame. I am not sure whether the crack was there before the stringing or during the stringing process. Is it possible that the racket cracked at 11kg tension or was the racket defect even before the stringing? On the other hand, is it safe if I restring the racket once more?

I have also noticed a small problem during the stringing process. The racket frame tends to get smaller when i string the horizontal part. This means that the frame is not in contact with the support frame of the machine. Does that means I have to readjust the support frame during the stringing process? Or is this the reason why the racket frame distorts/cracks during the stringing process?
    Thank you.

2. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    The racket should not get distorted throughout the stringing process. I don't use a Pro's Pro, but you may need some badminton specific supports. The majority of stringing machines are made for tennis rackets that support thicker frames.

Badminton rackets should not crack at that tension else there is something wrong with your setup or that your machine needs calibrating.
    Are you mounting the racket correctly? The supports should be secure and there should be no movement when you wiggle your racket. If there is, the support is too loose.

I would not restring a cracked racket. The area around the crack would have been significantly weakened and will not be able to withstand the tensions you are applying.

3. casshern808

Hi thanks for your reply.

I think it could really be the way I mounted the racket. It was too loose that day.
    Plus I am not using a load spreader. Could this be a reason that the racket cracked?
    I ordered a pair of load spreaders and it will arrive in these few days. It is necessary to apply load spreader on both the 12 and 6 o clock mark or it is only necessary to apply on the 12 o clock mark?

4. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Load spreaders aren't necessary but many do recommended them especially at the 12 O'clock support.
    It is personal preference and experience whether you want one added at the 6 O'clock support. Watch the following video:

Regarding racket mounting on a 6-point mounting system, I'd used this video as a reference:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3PZf-iMqC4

There is a thread on this forum about a similar experience to yourself which you might find helpful:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/144219-Rackets-keep-on-breaking!!

5. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

As a new stringer, you should practice on a few old rackets first till you are comfortable. I would not restring that racket again as even a hairline fracture will eventually lead to a break under that tension. Incidentally, you mentioned that you were doing 24lbs for the cross, what tension did you do for the mains (vertical strings) before you started on the cross..? Just seems strange that the frame would warp inwards with the mains already done...?

6. casshern808

I did 11kg for the mains and 11.5kg for the cross.. I personally think that either the racket is defected or I did not check on the support during the stringing ( the support frame was too loose).

7. geubes

geubes Regular Member

I strung my first badminton racket on my Pioneer 6 (recent purchase, first stringing machine), I have already strung a few tennis rackets so thought ide attempt my badminton rackets.

I noticed no warping on the frame (I didnt use any spread loaders but I will get some for the next frame and friends. I strung am Adidas Adi-zero at 25lbs, so a lightweight frame too).

Did you remove the small additional part on the weight of the machine? the weight splits in too taking 900g off the drop-arm compared to stringing tennis. Also ensure your K-mounts are rotated so the shorter side (smaller point) is facing into the frame to hold it horizontal and prevent warping.

I did notice that when I was tightening the 12 and 6 oclock mounts it took a bit of time to get the right fit without pulling the frame and I must have fiddled about with the mounts for a good 5-10 minutes to make sure it was secure.

overall a pleasant experience.