BWF To Test Scoring Option 5 x 11

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Uncle tan, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Uncle tan

Uncle tan Regular Member

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=85879

Personally I don't really like this scoring system(5 x 11), ... One of the reason given by the BWF for changing from 3 x 21 is to reduce the time of the matches, and lack of excitement when there are big points difference...

Would that fair for audiences like us???? as we would like to see more of the playing from the players...Imagine, what if a top player playing with an underdog player,...and the scoring only like 11-4, 11-5, 11-3....and only last for 30mins or less.... :eek:.. hmm.....for me it won't be enough shows from the game...beside...we as an audience who will pay for the ticket and products... as for the ads who sponsored for the games or matches will be less exposed to audiences ...as these are the whole purpose from the advertisement companies right??? Shows shown on tv, sponsorships, games...etc...all about to entertain the audiences as to get them or us to see more and buy more....

These just from my point of views and i also think that the BWF should also get feedback from audiences not just from the players.....so what u guys think????

#1 Uncle tan, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  3. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Uncle tan,

Agree with you from the audience perspective. Several weeks ago I try out the 5 x 11 system and it was challenging. Not easy to maintain best of 3 without working hard. Your opponent also have the same train of thoughts. When you are two sets down you really have to do your best to even the next two sets and have enough to pull through on the last.

Unfortunately for my opponent 3 sets was over in about 12mins. They are season players but could not adapt to the new playing style require of them. I believe eventually they (all players) will get use to it and the rally would again be longer.

4. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Hm, not indicated on the list, but the Brazil Open Grand Prix is testing out the 5x11 scoring system. I will talk with a few players and see what their opinion is once the tournament concludes.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I remember reading that there is no deuce.

With such short games, a deuce in the fifth set is advantageous in prolonging excitement (if it got to that stage)

6. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    At the moment most would find it hard to adapt as you are require to be in full throttle for the first several points, there after you take a notch or two down. Previously, your service is important, with 5 x 11 its critical. Your returns and defense was good before, now it had to be great. Overall, the strategy and game plan is different from 21 x 3. If you can adpat rapidly and change as when require during play, you run away with points. Hesitate and you are dead.

Human being are great adapters and sooner than we think most, if not all, would be enjoying it. Time will tell, give it a try and you may realize and learn something out of all this. I've been in the game for 45yrs now and have tried all the system including the dreaded 7 x 5 and I can say 11 x 5 is easier.

7. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

One match went the length to an 11-10 finish in the rubber so far at the Brazil Open.

8. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Whoever suggesting changes to the scoring system must be a table tennis fan. He is just copying the table tennis scoring system - 21 pts (2 out of 3), then 11 pts (3 out of 5), let's see if they will make changes again if the scoring system in table tennis changes.