User Tag List

View Poll Results: Allow coaching between points?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

34 61.82%
  • Yes

16 29.09%
  • it's complicated..

5 9.09%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CantSmashThis View Post
    I want to see quicker matches instead of like 20-30 seconds between each point unless the rallies start getting long and the match getting intense, then there's some leeway. As a spectator, I lose interest in the match quickly that way.
    That's where instant slow mo replays of important rallies from different angles can make it more interesting and more involving for the viewers.

All England broadcast is best for that imo. They fill the in between time with that. Allows us to appreciate the incredible finesse and speed involved.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wahchai305 View Post
    this being an open forum, i rather desist from naming them.
    overall, it is always interesting picking up on their insights on the evolving game.
    repeatedly i have to remind myself to fully concentrate on my task. :-)
    Tks, appreciate that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BWF laws of badminton are farcical at best and the interpretation of those rules by officials leave a lot to be desired. Leniency should not be a given, these are professional players who represent the pinnacle of the sport. As for coaching between points...surely it is in direct contradiction to the law

16..4.1 Under no circumstances shall play be delayed to enable a player to recover strength or wind or to receive advice.

especially when you see players wandering around the rear of the court speaking to their coaches between points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

umm, its a bit strong saying this.
    at the recently completed oz superseries, i thought the umpires mostly will caution the players
    who wander toward the seated coach.
    you, sir/madam, is a bit economical in you quoting the rules of badminton....
    further on in the rules, there is the one -

15.5.1 Only when the shuttle is not in play (Law 15), shall a player be permitted to
    receive advice during a match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 16.5.1

Point taken. But what constitutes not in play?

The period between when the shuttle is on the floor to when it is picked up or the point between when the player(s) feel they are ready to resume play because they have got the advice they want?

The rules are too loosely defined and it seems with each ratification become more self-contradicting in what it is trying to achieve.

I bring to attention the recent women's doubles bronze medal match at the Commonwealth games, English coaches heckling the umpire, trying to influence him to to warn the opposition for time wasting*? I don't ever recall this happening before coaching between points was introduced?

* just because someone else does it better!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Just notice this poll.

Coaching in interval should be allowed. Indeed badminton should allow one or two time out calls within each match such as in volleyball and table tennis.

And moreover, badminton is not tennis, some members here keep on making references from tennis world to be adopted. Just remember they are two entirely different sports and having different characteristics. To my guess the fans of the two sports do not much intersect. I may support such copycat if the commercial world (esp. giant corporations in the banking & financial sectors as the main sponsors of tennis tournaments) will first pour into badminton the same amount of money... otherwise just forget the disillusion of badminton having to imitate tennis in order to be granted the same money reward and sponsorship as generous as tennis as well as the time & space slots of MSM coverages ...I said it a couple of times in BC and will repeat it again briefly, tennis, golf, and few other propped elites are having the generous bucks because these branches are the chosen sport showcases of the current world order thus being elevated to their present positions, other sports may only dream but just won't come near in term of the bucks, as well as the mainstream media coverages, so please do not spoil the badminton intricacies and beauty chasing the shadow ghost!

Popularity and Wide Acceptance vs Money and Media coverage are akin to chicken and egg...it's a matter of one's belief and perception which one comes first!

PS: I'd love to see a poll of a more urgent action from its world body about the necessity to OVERHAUL the current outdated SERVICE RULE.
    Last edited by kelana; 10-22-2014 at 12:23 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freedelivery View Post
    BWF laws of badminton are farcical at best and the interpretation of those rules by officials leave a lot to be desired. Leniency should not be a given, these are professional players who represent the pinnacle of the sport. As for coaching between points...surely it is in direct contradiction to the law

16..4.1 Under no circumstances shall play be delayed to enable a player to recover strength or wind or to receive advice.

especially when you see players wandering around the rear of the court speaking to their coaches between points.
    the coaches and players are talking all the time. I heard Wang Zheng Ming's coach say the shuttle was going out at the back. Wang left it and the shuttle landed in!

Usually the advice is on tactics.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think coaching between points should be allowed (as it is nowadays...).
    I def think it helps a lot of players and therefore helps improving the quality of the games.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3