doubles front player serving standing at midcourt instead of at the edge of the box

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by 100minus, Jun 30, 2014.

1. 100minus

100minus Regular Member

Just want to let out something that have been annoying me for some time.

I notice quite a number of people would stand in midcourt to serve in doubles.

I feel it is putting the person at the back in disadvantage as not only the service may not be quick and low enough the front guy is also standing too close to the guy at the back and confusing the area of coverage.

Nothing can be done as it is public games.

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yeah, not a lot you can do about that. I sometimes play with an "uncle" who serves as he does when he plays singles. It can be frustrating but it teaches you to be faster and anticipate more. Sometimes you need to stand back and see these things as positives rather than negatives.

If however you are partnering in a tournament, then you might want to have a quiet word with your partner.

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

This is rather old school. Forehand serve from approx 1.5m behind the T. Back in the days, serving was teached that way...

4. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

There are some people in my club who do that, It is an invitation for the receiver to do a tight net shot

5. 100minus

100minus Regular Member

If it is forehand i can still understand but most of these people are serving backhand. And these people have been playing for years, maybe they are not aware of it as it won't affect themself but only their partner. At the back the view is really confusing, at least for me. What i don't like is i'm feeding the partner at the back a good serve as i'm tall and imposing at the front but when its my turn at the back he's giving a shxx serve. I'm thinking of trying to stand further behind the court to see if it can overcome but then midarea return of serve may be a problem.

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I know a lot of players who winge about their partners and complain. I am one myself. Remember, when you point your finger in blame at your partner, you are the one at fault. If your partner does something that is tactically poor, it is down to you to do YOUR best with the situation.

In this case - make sure that any shots that come your way you get back where possible (sometimes its not possible). You must be solid in your game wherever possible. Here are some tactical things you can try:
    • Try covering the opposite side to your partner (rather than front and back, think more sides/half court singles) - this may be effective if they do not move forwards after they serve - you can move forwards instead.
    • Try standing where you normally would and see if it actually affects the rally or not - maybe your partner just stands in the midcourt then moves forwards - no need to change tactics.
    • Make sure you are ready to run forwards and play a good high lift if your opponents play a net shot and your partner isn't covering the net.

You see - there is lots you can do. Focus on what you can do. Sometimes, whatever you try won't work. If thats the case, then at least you tried. However - complaining about your partner, is not going to help. You may feel that it puts the back player at a disadvantage - have your considered the advantages your partner will feel - maybe they don't see it as a problem, maybe they think its easier or safer to stand further back to cover the pushes to the back corners etc.

Good luck - try some different tactics!

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You don't know - if he stood closer to the net, the serve might be even worse! :D

8. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

Very well said! :)
    Players like you who has optimistic point of view inspire me.
    I see this kind of issue among dbls pairs sometimes. We hve individuals who hate losing and often times they put the blame to their partners and create discomfort. Nothing wrong about the hate losing mindset but let us not expect too much from our partner especially when we play with someone we dont usually play with.