User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 37
  1. #18
    Regular Member DuckFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You lightweights, I ticked ALL the boxes in the thread on reasons to string for yourself.

    Aren't those lower supports in the wrong holes? That probably helped break my first attempt at stringing.

  2. #19
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,723
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    IME the supports need to be biased in the direction that the crosses will go.

  3. #20
    Regular Member DuckFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm still learning then thanks.

    Good luck to the OP, keep us posted.

  4. #21
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,282
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    I had an AT800Off die of high-noon-disease about five years ago... before I started with the load spreader.

    The thought of doing a racket without one now... it's like skydiving without a parachute.
    It depends on the tension put on the strings.

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Does a load spreader make a big difference? I normally add on a clamp-like thing on the 6/12 oclock position which is tightened. ( didnt show in the picture )

  6. #23
    Regular Member dbswansea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    1,178
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmtfreak View Post
    Does a load spreader make a big difference? I normally add on a clamp-like thing on the 6/12 oclock position which is tightened. ( didnt show in the picture )
    If I knew my stringer (if I used one) didn't use a load spreader, they wouldn't be allowed near my racquets. You've got a bare metal bar pushing out against the frame too. Even if the frame doesn't crack, under the tension of the mains it'll create an indentation on the inside of the frame creating a weakness.

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    there is actually a groove for the racket frame on the white piece and the clamp thing keeps it in place

  8. #25
    Regular Member dbswansea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    1,178
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmtfreak View Post
    there is actually a groove for the racket frame on the white piece and the clamp thing keeps it in place
    For the sake of $10, get the spreaders.

  9. #26
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,262
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you're only doing low tensions like 22 lbs then sure live on the wild side and skip the load spreaders, but for higher tensions like 26 and up, they are definitely a must.

  10. #27
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,282
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not using load spreaders is quite difficult nowadays compared to 20years ago.

    Racquets now are lighter and not so thick. So imbalances in tension can stress the frame.

    Also 20 years ago, 24lbs would be considered a high tension. BG65 and BG 66 were around then. Now, you get people asking for 28 to 30lbs on lighter racquets.

    IMHO, if you are going to be doing other people's racquets at 24lbs or above, use a load spreader and save yourself hassles with clients.

    Can not using the load spreader cause the accidents that have happened? Not sure.

  11. #28
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,282
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmtfreak View Post
    Does a load spreader make a big difference? I normally add on a clamp-like thing on the 6/12 oclock position which is tightened. ( didnt show in the picture )
    That's to stop the racquet from slipping upwards. It doesn't even out the pressure per se.

  12. #29
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,723
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Not using load spreaders is quite difficult nowadays compared to 20years ago.

    Racquets now are lighter and not so thick. So imbalances in tension can stress the frame.

    Also 20 years ago, 24lbs would be considered a high tension. BG65 and BG 66 were around then. Now, you get people asking for 28 to 30lbs on lighter racquets.

    IMHO, if you are going to be doing other people's racquets at 24lbs or above, use a load spreader and save yourself hassles with clients.

    Can not using the load spreader cause the accidents that have happened? Not sure.
    LS's have benefits at high tension and no drawbacks at low tension. And they're dirt cheap.

    Just get them.

  13. #30
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,282
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    LS's have benefits at high tension and no drawbacks at low tension. And they're dirt cheap.

    Just get them.
    I don't disagree.

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just wondering, is there an ideal position for the side supports?? Meaning that it would work for most rackets of all shapes. ( which holes would the support be on?)

  15. #32
    Regular Member ucantseeme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    @home
    Posts
    976
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I had the same question last year. Please follow the link. Mark A did a superb explaination there.

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ine?highlight=

    BTW IMO Load spreaders are the best investment for a machine beside Michal's supports.

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucantseeme View Post
    I had the same question last year. Please follow the link. Mark A did a superb explaination there.

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ine?highlight=

    BTW IMO Load spreaders are the best investment for a machine beside Michal's supports.
    Sweet! just what i was looking for. Thanks!

  17. #34
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,661
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    But I like her top down. My convertible I mean.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •