Would coaches have any effect on the outcome of matches

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by latecomer, Jul 6, 2014.

1. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Michelle Li had just shown the world that a title can be won without a coach. Just wondering what were the outcomes of all matches between LD and LCW if no coaches were allowed. Or what would happen if their coaches switched sides? I personally think coaches have minimal effect on the outcome of a match.

2. vixter

vixter Regular Member

I think coaches have a big effect on the outcome of many matches. But of course it is the player that has the biggest responsibility, and has to try to use the pieces of advice from the coach that he/she sees fit. LD and LCW might not need coaches at this stage in their exceptional careers. But for the average player, I think the coach is a very valuable aid.

3. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    If you were the coach, what would you say to LD and LCW during intermissions.

4. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

Well I think LD and LCW coach could still spot the errors on how their players deliver their returns. There are plenty of things that they observe while they watch, things that we probably dont notice, we might think it's too good to spot. A coach also provides support and encouragement to win, they have significant effect.

5. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

As the saying goes, an outsider can see a clearer picture. The coach could provide useful insights with regards to the opponent and your weaknesses.

They may or may not have an impact depending on you help yourself and exploit your opponent's weaknesses. That would be your own technical ability rather than a coach's problem.

Even if you aren't being exploited, coaches, like audience, could be a source of encouragement or your source of inspiration (if he/she is your idol).

6. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

i dont think the coaches have much influence...if any at all..regarding the outcome of the match

7. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    it depends, coach will be the one who will monitor your performance (so you don't have to)
    not only they will help you to spot your own and opponent weaknesses, but they also provide morale support and what kind of training needed for the next training session.

in a way, yes they can change the outcome of the match. for example the player are too focused on the match and fall into the same bad pattern. the coach can see it and ask you to change it. or if the opponent has a bad habit, they can see it clearly (esp since they are not playing and only observing) and ask you to exploit it
    however, it depends on the player themselves. can they make use of it? or they forgot about it as soon as they are on the court? or is it out of your capability?

for me, I will ask LCW to change his pace, do not try to match LD's pace, LD has one more gear if you want to fight in an intense fast match. change it from slow to fast, fast then slow.
    or they can see the statistic, for example, LD has 95% return if you smash it to his right and 90% of return if you give it to his left. LCW needs to exploit it and smash to LD's left

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I think tactically, coaches can have a big impact on the game/outcome.

9. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I think coaches do and can effect the outcome of a match. An extra pair of eyes can spot something that the player in the game cannot, of course, the player still need to execute. Like anything with regards to humans, it depends on the quality of the coach. Some are better and some are worse.