pain in my knee

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by george007, Jul 7, 2014.

1. george007

george007 Regular Member

Hey guyz! I started playing badminton 2 years ago nearly now I got a first injury in my badminton journey while playing singles hitting a round headed smash from the left corner of court my left leg fròm my knee to foot went left side laterally to my body and I heard a sound and didn't stopped for it but rally went on and after playing nearly 30 min and stopped while going back from court made of tiles to my home I feel like some one is stopping my leg to become straight and to bend completely .I thought it was a normal injury and got a knee guard like a bandage similarly and wrapped it around knee and continued play next days. .but now a days I feel a lot of pain from middle of downside of my thigh to underneath my knee on down .but if I start playing after 2 to 4 rally I don't feel any pain with my knee guard.maybe I'm more involved in game can some one suggest any suggestion to me..

2. visor

visor Regular Member

At a minimum, it's your meniscus. Additionally it may also be your ACL. If it doesn't hurt anymore when playing, then you're fine.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Better go see a doctor. Possible tear in ligaments or meniscus.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Agree with above.
    If you can't fully bend or straighten your knee, then you ought to be assessed.

It may not be necessarily anything terrible, but the last thing you want to do is to "hide" a problem with a brace and let it get worse.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

The thread starter doesn't know how lucky he is, to have not only a second but also a third(!) professional opinion. ;)

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

:eek:

Pop= possible ACL
    Locking = possible meniscus tear
    Pain back of thigh = muscle spasm possible MCL?

No mention of swelling in knee but there probably was.

Pretty high positive predictive value of some injury in the knee.

Confirm with clinical examination.

Going to a physiotherapist for an examination is also an option.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree...

If cost to medical access is an issue, TS could take a wait and see approach...

But any pain or swelling or locking or instability should not be ignored and would require a more serious and professional assessment by a physician or physio.

8. V_forever

V_forever Regular Member

Student
    Just encountered something sort of similar to OP on my left knee while playing yesterday. I do my usual laps for warm up and then into my stretch routine but in my first game, I landed awkwardly on a jump and felt a tingle/twitch (can't put this exact feeling into words) so I tried to shrug if off by kicking out my left leg pretty hard and then heard another sound (I thought it was just my bone being stretched but in hindsight this probably wasn't a good idea). After few more points, I felt further restrain by that "tingle" in my movements so I stopped playing. I thought I could probably continue but since I couldn't even kneel down without feeling pain in my left kneecap I decided to go home, put an ice pack and go to bed.

This morning, the kneecap swelled and felt puffy (with a bit of soreness that makes me walk weird). Should I get this checked out by my family doctor rather than just going home put more ice on it and hoping it would go away? This was also the first time this has happened.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yes. go see the doctor!

10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

V_forever,

You may have momentarily displaced your kneecap. Hard to say without better story and exam. Knees can be tricky. What seems minor may not be.

You could wait for a couple days and ice/elevate/rest. But it couldn't hurt to follow-up with your family doc or local physiotherapist for an opinion. (Our healthcare system can take it! :rolleyes:)

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Without sounding like I'm trying to drum up more business for the medical establishment, if you're not sure, always let pain be your guide.

If it hurts for longer than 2 hrs after injury and during play, and you are not able to walk or play on it like normal... then you have a problem and need to let a professional have a look at it.

Don't "fight" thru the pain...

12. V_forever

V_forever Regular Member

Student
    Thanks everyone~ went to see my family doctor yesterday and a x-ray scan, results coming out shortly. I have been putting ice over it whenever im home and the swelling has reduced significantly. The kneecap area is still numb/bulky feeling but walking has become more easier as well.

13. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Your bill is already in the mail. ;)

14. weissortho

weissortho New Member

Orthopaedic Surgeon
    I'm super late to this conversation (I'm new to this forum) but if you want to prevent knee pain in the future, you might want to try stretching before playing. I do a few of these knee stretches everyday before I play: http://weissortho.com/content/stretching-techniques-to-alleviate-knee-pain/

Best of luck to you, and hope your knee is feeling better!

15. frederic

frederic Regular Member

Pharmaceuticals
    You should give thanks to God that your injuries are not so dangerous that can't be cured. You better go to Doctor now for the proper treatment , hope you will recover soon.

16. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Sorry to drop in late. I am just recovering from a similar injury (no tear). My 2 cents:

1) Get examined by a pro, if you wish to play longer. No substitute for it.

2) Get your footwear evaluated

3) MRI and not Xray will help

I already see some good recommendations above, probably by the pros!