Sessions around Clementi

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by MiraTan, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiraTan

MiraTan Regular Member

Been on BC just about 1 week. Here are my views:

1) Dominated by pchospital / yaplimay - I think they are together
    2) All other pass Clementi organisers have "disappeared" - examples vsvkannan, Ah_Peng, joyce2612, westcoast_sing, boyd000

Quite sad. pchospital / yaplimay operates like an "organisation" out for world domination. I wonder how they managed to book so many courts at so many places.

Anyways, I will support the small "entities". Any thoughts?

2. kelvintong

kelvintong Regular Member

retired
    Yes, you are right.
    It is very sad to have those people in Singapore who book courts out to make profits.
    We should boycott these people and you can look up for some groups that realy just to share the cost.
    We only pay $5 for 2 hours and $7 for 3 hours for my group. I really don't understand why we have this kind of people in our society!

3. vinisr

vinisr Regular Member

So MiraTan, will you start organizing a new session then?

4. wyingjie

wyingjie Regular Member

Occupied
    Just to share my thoughts. I am here for only 2 years. From my experience so far, those who charges above-average fees (or $8 for 2 hours) seems justified to do so because of the following reasons
    1. being able to allow players to change more shuttlecocks during a game.
    2. being able to use shuttlecocks of better quality or different, good but costlier brands.
    3. play at good courts (e.g. rubber flooring, air-con hall with facilities).
    4. higher booking fee for some courts (e.g. some CCs may charged higher booking fee)
    5. higher shuttlecock price
    6. more playing time with limit on players
    7. lower turnout than expected at the session
    8. participants do not mind joining and paying a little more (e.g. $1 to $3)

It is still up to personal preference and experience to choose the group to join for games.

With regards to booking of courts by more than 1 person, there is no way to patch this loophole in the public booking system. And I also did it before :)

5. pchospital

pchospital Regular Member

PC servcing and DIY PC
    Well said and will we have people having to understand the difficulty and determination needed to organise ? :)

A good statement by wyingjie "It is still up to personal preference and experience to choose the group to join for games".

We personally know of a group who charge $15 a month but how is one going to play with shuttlecocks wobbling?
    One guy who occasionally goes there actually get some used shuttlecocks from us to play with them.
    Our "used shuttlecocks" are actually still usable but our players choose to have a new one:)

6. westcoast_sing

westcoast_sing Regular Member

[MENTION=118172]MiraTan[/MENTION], i am still here, and currently i have enough member in my group.
    I am organising the game for fun and healthy game. That means, the player standard has to be more and less same (can lob, smash, drive constantly), so the game will have more rally rather than just winning the point.
    If other group charge more it is up to them. But charging excessively with so many other places and time/days can be considered as touting. Only unemployment or retiree can do this as this is their main "rice bowl".
    You can feedback this to Sport Singapore, but i am sure they will just be bochup except you cc this to higher rank officer.

Let's try to breakdown the cost:
    2 hours booking fee = $14.80
    6 pcs (1/2 tube) of shuttlecock for this 2 hours = $12
    Total cost = $26.80
    Divided by 6 person (max) = less than $4.50

This is the max cost for 2 hour, 6 pcs of shuttlecocks for 2 hours is more than enough.
    If the players need more than this it means they miss hit a lot.

Just imagine if there is some person charging more than this on regular basis each day. This person just making money by taking advantage of citizen tax money that are not guarded well by Sport Singapore.

So sad to know that :(

7. Boyd00

Boyd00 Regular Member

Mira,

Thanks for mentioning my name, makes me compelled to reply you. I am still “alive” but less active due to knee injuries.

For the record, for my past sessions, I was using AS40 and only collected $5 per person So, it’s not all about $$$

Anyways, my company has sessions on Fridays (6-9pm) at Clementi and always lack of people. Please join us, no charge.*

8. wyingjie

wyingjie Regular Member

Occupied
    Is it at JTC? :)

9. Boyd00

Boyd00 Regular Member

Hi,

no either CSH or CC.

10. dragonknight

dragonknight Regular Member

-
    Hi Mira, I'm Kenq.
    I'm staying at Clementi West Coast. If you planned to organize a group within Clementi area, please let me know. Perhaps I can join if the timing allowed. TQ.

And by the way, just to share my thoughts on the topic regarding the "domination" things.

I agree with you that, some organizers charge a bit high in order to make profit.
    Yes, this is an undeniable thought if we looked from the player (non-organizer) perspective.
    But from the organizer perspective, they would feel that they deserved for the profit as the efforts they have put in to book the court(s), buy shuttlecocks, organize the session, etc.

Whether this is a win-win or win-lose situation, it is up to the player to decide whether to join an "overcharged" group or not.
    There are always other groups that organize the games merely for sports purpose (not for profit). And we only need to find & join those groups if we do not wish to join groups which charged over the average cost.

In fact, it is getting harder and harder now to book courts as more "profit" organizers out there are dominating the booking.
    I wonder, why don't the authority reinforce the rule of 1 person is allowed to book 1 court only?
    At least it could combat the domination even it is not totally effective.

P/S: Hat's off to those who organize the game merely for sports purpose.

11. wyingjie

wyingjie Regular Member

Occupied
    I think the only way to combat profiteering/overcharging is for organisers to display in the forum the full cost breakdown of hosting a session, including expected number of shuttlecocks to be used.

With regards to "world domination", if the fee charged is fair and reasonable, I think nobody will object :)

12. vinisr

vinisr Regular Member

Please don't misunderstand my previous reply. It's hard to convey tone in text message.
    It was a sincere question and i am interested in joining if you want to start organizing the session.

I myself did organize sessions a few yrs back. But since it's a private group with mostly close friends, we are super relax with the cost and only charge the cost of court+shuttle with no profit - at the end of month. After about 3 yrs, all of us went our separate ways and no more sessions. Recently i am trying to get into the game again and joined pchospital and couple other groups in west. For me, the fee is reasonable granted the profit is definitely there.

While it's true that some organizers profit a little bit from the sessions, it's not wrong or illegal. The debate is pointless. If you feel you want to make a change to the scene, may i suggest you start organizing your own group. The more groups pop up and charge less, eventually the market will change.

13. westcoast_sing

Is it illegal if someone sell in95 mask for $10 when the haze at it's peak?
    Nope, it is legal.
    Is it fair? Yes, it is supply and demand economy system. The rich will pay for it because it is peanut to them.
    Is it humane? Answer yourself :)

14. vinisr

vinisr Regular Member

2 fundamental problem with your analogy with the mask.

mask during haze is considered primary commodity, badminton session is not.
    mark up on the mask is almost 10x.

15. hsein1314

hsein1314 New Member

Engineer
    Looking for game session at clementi too, work at red hill. Weekday (Mon-Thurs) 7pm onwards.

16. kelvintong

kelvintong Regular Member

retired
    Legal or not, we leave it to the authority to decide.
    But a Singaporean do it will only let other people think that we only have "$" in our mind. Everything is money!
    If they want to book, why can't they just book court for their their own group rather that book every day and start to invite other people and make profit from them?
    It is sport not money!!!
    Singapore sport council should do something about it!!!

17. westcoast_sing

Surely no one will die without n95, is it consider primary?
    Even Ah Long not earning 10 times. So Ah Long oso no problem? :p

18. vinisr

vinisr Regular Member

I said the debate is pointless.
    It'll be great if you or someone actually do something real instead of just raising small noise in forum. I support the no profit group. But this is where i'm ending my thought sharing since the TS also seems to abandon the thread.

I offered a small solution by "organizing your own sessions" to contribute to TS original problem "The advent of profit oriented organizers". I'm not interested in pointless debate. I'm saying, if you don't like it, do something real about it. Please pardon me from the thread.

19. westcoast_sing

This a free forum where people discuss.
    If you feel it is pointless, no need to post.

We are here doing something real. It is called building an awereness.
    Don't stop anyone discussing. Or you afraid it will affect someone rice bowl?

20. bmtforlife

bmtforlife Regular Member

NA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.