Lesson to be learned.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by shawntn, Mar 21, 2004.

1. shawntn

shawntn Regular Member

Never leave your equipments in your car!

Two reasons:

1. Heat exhaustion will damage your rackets, birdies and everything else in your bag.

2. Theft!!!

Yes, that's right. Someone broke in my car and stole my badminton equipments. I am so pissed. Took me forever to put everything together.

There is a lesson to be learned lady and gentlemen. People could be so cruel these days. Still thinking if i should play again. If i ever decided to play again, it will be a long time until i able play. I have to start all over. :(

:mad:

2. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Oh man... sucks to have your car got busted into.

Wouldn't your auto insurance cover the lost items?

-Rick

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Did you leave your gear in the back seat where it could be seen?

Or was the equipment in the boot/trunk?

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Bad stroke of luck there ... yeah, check to see if your auto-insurance covers the loss. My sympathies, man.

-dave

5. MarcRafles

MarcRafles Regular Member

IT
    My symphaty for you.. as a badminton player I can feel how hurt it is :( Thieves nowadays are very cruel :mad: Hate them.
    This is really a very bitter (but also very valuable) lesson for you and also for other in this forum.
    I hope, your insurance would cover the loss.

Marc

By the way, is there also special insurance for sport equipment?

6. shawntn

shawntn Regular Member

I left it in the back seat. It was not very smart of me though.

I calculated i have lost over $500 worth of badminton gear. Comparing to you people, I know i have a long way to go. Another reason why badminton is not so popular. It's too expensive! Finding the right gear for you taste is hard and it's time consuming. The sad part is all my gear are practically new.

I called my insurance provider, they wont cover anything that is not attached to the car. In another word, if it is not part of your car, they wont cover it. So i am done with badminton for now.

There is something magical between you and your gear. Now i know what those "love and badminton threads" are all about.

7. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

I know sometimes your house insurance may cover such lost but the increase in your next year's premiums may not justify the claim.

Best of luck! :)

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I feel sorry for u. PPl are just crazy these days. In the past 2 weeks, saw 2 cases of stolen cell phones in my gym(s).

Now, I have to check my phone, every 20 min or so.

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yeah, that's how opportunistic crooks are these days:(. Never leave anything in plain sight. I always put stuff in the trunk or glove compartment... anything attractive in the car is just an invitation for disaster. Did they break the windows or damage your car to get at your stuff? Feels hard to do... but it's easy to get started. Just get a good pair of shoes and a decent racquet to start you off again. Hard part is still to get over the mental hurdle of the theft. Best of Luck, Shawn!

10. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Sorry to hear about your loss.I have had this happen to myself as well.Report the theft to authorities with a description of the items.Sometimes you get lucky because these badminton items don't have much value to anyone other than us badminton fanatics.I got lucky because whoever stole my stuff when they realized how hard it was to get any money for it dumped it on someones lawn.I feel for you.Funny part of my experience was that I had my string repair kit with awls snips and string vise and the lady who found it reported it to police thinking it was a torture kit of some kind.Anyways I know this doesn't make you feel any better but perhaps the same luck that shone on me will do so for you as well.

11. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    So sorry to hear about your loss. Like BMS indicated, house insurance may cover the loss.

I know how you feel as this has happened to be before (bag was in the trunk/boot) and I didn't even know the car has been broken into until I got to the gym (everything was locked).

Look at this as an opportunity to (a) upgrade your equipment and (b) to try new models/brands.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sometimes, incident like this can just ruin ur whole day.

The past Thanksgiving day, me and 3 friends went to shopping. We spent $900 together for a lot of good stuff, which were on sale. On our way back, our trunk got popped, and most of bags were stolen when we were eating in Chinatown. We lost $600+ worth of stuff in total, and myself got $300.

Sometimes, ppl just doing crazy things, while making others life miserable.

13. shawntn

shawntn Regular Member

I am sorry to hear that Lazybuddy. I feel you man.

14. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Supposedly at uni studying
    My deepest sympathy's shawntn about getting your stuff stolen. You dont have to give up on badminton you know you can just play with a medicore racquet or something cant you? (Sorry If I sound insensitive) As long as you still enjoy the game why not continue playing, heck I dont even own a racquet at the moment :( .

Sorry to hear about your gear getting nicked, but I hope you continue playing

Its about enjoyment not the equipment