Looking for a backup/replacement for Yonex MP77

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by xofrevlis, Mar 21, 2004.

1. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    Hi all. Made a racket change to the MP77 3U for about a month. There have been more pros than cons in both singles and doubles play, however the big con is my downgrade in power. Not all that big an issue in singles, but it does become a problem in doubles. Against advanced players, I can't put enough pressure on them and they can whip my smashes crosscourt without too much hassle, thus losing the attack.

I need to look for a backup for the racket anyway since I don't have another even vaguely like it. But would also like to keep options open as opposed to getting the same one. The budget priced Winex MM99 raised my eyebrows, albeit a 3U and not the 2U that I want. So anyone with experience with either or both Yonex MP77 and Winex MM99, any feedback greatly appreciated.

To those of you who live in the UK:
    Winex MM100 and MM200 also interest me, but are they even available in the UK?
    Is it just me or is finding a 2U racket in the UK a tad difficult?
    I was supposed to get a 2U MP77 but they didn't have any anywhere.
    Cheers.

#1 xofrevlis, Mar 21, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  2. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Really? MP77 in most people's opinion has way too much wayward power and not enough control. I've got a 2U version and it's great for putting holes in the net but absolutely lousy in net control. Maybe it is because you are using a 3U version.

Haven't used Winex racket in the past so can't comment. A good back up to MP77 is a MP55 or at a stretch, MP99.

3. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    Now that is a surprise. If what you say is true then my opinion is completely the opposite to most people's. Control and netplay are the things which I find best about the racket. Years of using a sledge hammer to play this game might have contributed towards it and neutralised the supposed difficult control due to its heavy head.

4. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    MP77 is a power racket. It ranks behind MP100 and Ti 10, but it's still very powerful. The problem is that you need to know how to harness the power. When I was using the MP77, my smashes were "deadly". Also I had to try not to clear past the baseline, and not to exaggerate my drives.

Is your MP77 strung too high to produce power? Too high a tension reduces repulsion. My experience tells me BG65 @ 22lbs works well.

Regardless of the string, you need to know the correct technique to smash with power, but once you get it...you'll realize the racket is a "tank" as others have said.

5. woop.

woop. Regular Member

I used a MP77 for the past six months or so, but not long ago made my #1 racquet the Inflight SlimSeries 100. It's an excellent racquet, just a little bit lighter than the mp77, but I found it much easier to harness the power in it. If you can give one a whirl do so (you can easily order these racquets online from the inflight site).

If you do a search of this forum someone else in the uk is using the same racquet.