1 Thread(s)

Are they playing doubles or singles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they play both but im talking about singles

they play a lot of tournaments, as i do

so we might play very soon and i wanna look better than last time, theyre not out of reach (im working on improving in general obv, but maybe a few tactics can be useful in this special case and the thread reminded me of them )

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Make sure your basic technique and consistency are good.

Since they are experienced players, they would have developed coping strategies.

Look for patterns in their replies when you play fast drops, smashes and clears. As mentioned, take a careful look at their backhand forecourt (and mid court) areas and see if the shots they play are predictable or poorer quality.

I would test their strokes. Panhandlers tend not to do overhead slice shots from the rear court. But they might be quite strong on overhead reverse slice.

I like to low serve to their backhand - the reply can be even more predictable. Test which backhand serve are they weaker in replying to - a faster one that drops quite far into the service box or one which drops near the service line?

They don't switch to backhand so easily - a tactic I particularly favour in rally is to play it patiently waiting for an opportunity. Then, after they have played a few forehand shots, change the pace and do a quick smash to their left hip/shoulder area. By doing this, they have got comfortable in the panhandle and have difficulty adjusting the grip. The reply, if they get it back, will very likely be to the net, which you can anticipate.
    Last edited by Cheung; 07-19-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a lot of ideas

thank you

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a little bit of experimentation, I feel like the panhandle grip encourages pace. I find it easier to play 1v2 with the panhandle. The panhandle seems to make around the head shots more comfortable and powerful. Even upon receiving a dropshot, pace from the panhandle grip seems to help me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Zhang Beiwen plays with a pan-handle grip. As to Wang Yihan and Wang Shixian, I don't know, I agree it looks a bit different from the other pro-players. Even if they do use a half pan-handle I'm sure they still incorporate a lot of underarm pronation in the grip they use. Otherwise they would be limited from the back court and would not be able to clear effortlessly

It would be interesting if someone with a high technical knowledge could watch these women and let us know, do they really play with unconventional/panhandle grips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All your overhead shots are going to blatantly obvious.
    Which is useless for badminton!!!!!!!

Your defense is going to be lacking as well! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dontmakeme View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All your overhead shots are going to blatantly obvious.
    Which is useless for badminton!!!!!!!

Your defense is going to be lacking as well! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Lol... like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is the panhandle grip being refered to here the grip that most of us used when we just put the racket on the floor and picked it up like a frying pan?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_Noodles View Post
    is the panhandle grip being refered to here the grip that most of us used when we just put the racket on the floor and picked it up like a frying pan?
    Of course, that's why it's termed "pan".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With a tournament coming up among other badminton commitments, I haven't been using the panhandle grip recently. I would appreciate if there were pictures or very high quality videos to examine to see WYH and WSX's grip styles.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vixter View Post
    As to Wang Yihan and Wang Shixian, I don't know, I agree it looks a bit different from the other pro-players.
    Hard to see without close-up and slow motion. I'm wondering if their hand form is anywhere close to these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k04bQSznqk4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv5imPdrqf8

It's not pan-handle, but also not neutral (or basic) grip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    Hard to see without close-up and slow motion. I'm wondering if their hand form is anywhere close to these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k04bQSznqk4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv5imPdrqf8

It's not pan-handle, but also not neutral (or basic) grip.
    I think ljb's grip is shifted towards panhandle, but not all the way towards a full blown panhandle.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think ljb's grip is shifted towards panhandle, but not all the way towards a full blown panhandle.
    It's shifted, for sure. In his words - 10 degree towards pan-handle. I'm interested to see if any other contemporary top players use the same grip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    It's shifted, for sure. In his words - 10 degree towards pan-handle. I'm interested to see if any other contemporary top players use the same grip.
    I think the shifted grip towards panhandle would promote more of a "dart-throwing action" rather than the overhead ball throwing motion, which we see in most top players. I noticed that ljb tends to promote this dart throwing action, which suits the grip nicely.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the shifted grip towards panhandle would promote more of a "dart-throwing action" rather than the overhead ball throwing motion, which we see in most top players. I noticed that ljb tends to promote this dart throwing action, which suits the grip nicely.
    This is a good observation regarding LJB and dart throwing - too many players do not realise that there is a subtle difference in the techniques.

Very few top players use that style - none of the best male players, but the top Chinese womens singles players use it to great effect. I can confirm that the top Chinese womens singles players - many already mentioned in this thread, use a grip that is twisted towards panhandle - it is not the "neutral" grip. I got a great seat at the all england just behind their court and could see it with clarity. The hitting style is very different to "normal" and very distinctive when you know what to look for.

This grip does NOT make them win their matches - it is their other physical traits such as speed and power in the legs that make them so difficult to beat (and mental strength). Obviously they have great consistency and tactical ability. The grip adds simplicity to their game - they do not hit big slices and deceptive shots - they use lots of accurate smashes and punch clears - but very little power compared to the top Chinese womens doubles players (who use regular grips).

In my opinion, players looking to learn the game should watch Lin Dan from back in 2008 and 2009 - his overhead technique was staggeringly perfect - minimal wrist movement and very uncomplicated (these days its not so good - not as quick or as powerful).
    Last edited by MSeeley; 07-24-2014 at 08:48 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ You mean the 2008 Olympics final LD where he turned on his turbo and totally demolished LCW. Hence earning the Super Dan nickname.

No, it'd be impossible for us mere mortals to emulate him now, not the least his game in 2008.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast