No Titanium Mesh?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Midget_Boy, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    Lately I've discovered that some of the lower end Yonex Racquets come with Titanium Mesh, while the mid-highones don't, only the very most top of the line racquets that cost hundreds of dollars have Titanium Mesh.

For example:
    Titanium Mesh- MP24, MP27, MP23, MP30, ISO TI SWING POWER
    No Titanium Mesh- MP22,MP33,MP44,MP66,MP77,MP88,MP99

Is Titanium Mesh an especially expensive concept that is only put in the lesser racquets to boost their performance and make them more expensive, or is it hard to combine with other features so it is only included in very expensive racquets or racquets with very few features?

I don't know, state your answers here, thanks.

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
  3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Titanium mesh is supposed to have higher strength-to-weight ratio than titanium. A racquet with some titanium mesh in the frame and shaft will have more layers of this material (stronger and stiffer) and yet is no heavier than a titanium racquet with fewer layers of titanium. The MP99 has something called Ultimum, which has even greater strength-to-weight ratio than titanium mesh, in its frame and shaft. So, for the MP99, theoritically, you could have more Ultimum layers in the racquet than one with titanium mesh, without increasing the weight of the racquet. If a material is lighter and stronger, you can use more of it to make a racquet, to give you more power.
    To dramatize with an example, just try to visualize a wooden racquet (yes, they used to play with wooden racquets) weighing 90g and compare with a 90g MP99, and test them out for power hits. You get the point.

4. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator

Woah a tooth pick of a racket?! :D

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Exactly. A wooden tooth pick is neither as strong or as long lasting as one made from Ultimum, both tooth picks weighing precisely the same.

6. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    Steel for more power and weight!

7. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Dont forget that titanium is fragile...

8. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    I think it depends..

My Ti 7 has survived a lot of clashes..but my MP77 broke in 1 clash.

Ti 7 has Ti Mesh and MP77 has Ultimum Ti, but their durability is different.

Both strung with BG65 at 22lbs...but MP77 seems to hold the tension better.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I am not too sure about the merits of woven titanium mesh. Although it is 2.5 times harder than graphite, it is also 2.3 times heavier; so there is only a marginal increase in strength-to-weight advantage. The Ultimum titanium, however, has a 3 times strength-to-weight advantage over graphite, I believe.

10. Midget_Boy

Student
    However for example, the LOWER class MP racquets HAVE Titanium Mesh, while the Middle-Upper Class racquets DON'T have Titanium Mesh, some even HAVE Ultimum Ti but NOT having Ti Mesh, the only racquet I can currently think of that has BOTH is the MP-100?

Another quick example is, why would the MP-33 NOT have Ti Mesh or Ultimum Ti, when a MP 27/24 would have Ti Mesh, and from MP-66 and above all have Ultimum Ti but not having Ti mesh except MP-100? Wouldn't it be better then if the MP-33 was priced less since it was only composed of HM Graphite, when a MP-27 has both HM Graphite and Ti Mesh?

11. Midget_Boy

Student
    Oops, correction: MP-27 has both Graphite and Ti Mesh.

12. rocklee

rocklee Regular Member

student
    here is an answer to ur question

most of the numbers inbetween the 22, 33, 44, etc are all 2004 models
    so they put a bit of improvement aka ti mesh so they would sell
    works fine if u ask me since i bought a MP-24 as a first newbie racket

i could be wrong tho..

13. Midget_Boy

Student
    Well actually I think only the MP-44, MP-66, MP-30(Not Japan Version), MP-23, MP-88(New Long version), AT 300, AT 800 are 2004 models. 22,33,24,27,77,old 88 are olf models of 2003. Which also brings into mind, that most, if not all 2004 MPs are 1 cm longer in the shaft.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I believe the only Yonex racquet to have Ultimum in both the shaft and frame is the MP99, not even the MP100 or MP88..

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i believe cab30ms have them too

16. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    Check Yonex's website..MP100 has both, and MP99/88 does not have both; 88/99 does not have Ti mesh.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The website doesn't tell it as it should. All it says about MP100 is Ultimum Ti = Y, and Ti Mesh = Y. It doesn't tell you where its being used. Although such a description is technically correct for an MP100 with only Ultimum Ti in it's shaft and Ti Mesh in it's frame, the plain fact is that it has no Ultimum Ti in it's frame, according to the Yonex catalog I have. Yes, the MP100 has both Ultimum TI and Ti Mesh, the former in only the shaft and the latter in the frame. I used to own two MP100; and if you care to look at the MP100 frame at the 3 and 9 o'clock locations, you do not see the words Ultimum Ti; all you see is Ti Mesh. Ultimum Ti appears on the shaft only. In a departure from the MP100, the MP99 uses the superior Ultimum Ti to replace the Ti Mesh in the frame, whilst keeping the Ultimum Ti in the shaft. The MP99 has Ultimum Ti imprinted on the frame and the shaft. If it is not imprinted on the frame, then it is not there. And the Yonex catalog also says there is no Ultimum Ti in the MP100 frame.

18. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    According to Japanese Yonex catalog MP100 has ultra high modulous graphite frame with Ti-mesh and Ultimum Ti shaft. This makes sense as MP100 was released during haydays of Ti-10 and made sense to have both top line rackets sharing similar features.

Ti-10 had ultra high modulous frame and shaft with Ti-mesh and muscle power bumps on the tip of the racket head. MP 100 introduced full muscle power bumps and Ultimum Ti shaft.

Personally, I don't really buy the Ti-mesh concept and have doubts about the benefit of muscle power frame / ultimum Ti shaft, other than great marketing exercise and trying to prevent clonex taking away the Yonex market share.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Well, you are right that one shouldn't be swayed easily by Yonex's marketing hype. I can, however, share with you my experience with these racquets. When I bought my MP99 and MP100, I never looked into the type of materials that go into making the racquets. Some 6 years ago, I bought an Iso Tour 800 SP and I thought that was better than my then Cab. 20 and 21. I then bought a Ti Mesh 10 and I thought it was better than the Iso Tour 800 SP. About 2 years ago I bought an MP100 and I believed it was better than the Ti Mesh 10. I bought another MP100 after I broke the Ti Mesh 10. After another year I bought an MP99 and I truly believed that it was better than the MP100, to a greater extent than the MP100 was better than the Ti Mesh 10. I thought it was so good, I bought another MP99. I then traded in my two MP100 for a new AT700. It took me sometime to adapt to the AT700; all I can say its a great racquet. Better than MP99? Its hard to say. Both are different. I use both interchangeably, giving equal time to both, with minor detours for my two Gosen 3400 racquets.