Why Higher String Tension?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by RVStrike13, Jul 20, 2014.

1. RVStrike13

RVStrike13 Regular Member

Student
    Hello all, I have been told before that stringing your racket to a high tension reduces the amount of power and it also can hurt your wrist if this is true then why do the professionals like Lin Dan string to such high tension? Thanks in advance.

2. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

3. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

LOL Scott..... I was looking at that thread too but realised that the ones who maintain they are confused about why high tension do not give them more power are just not honest with themselves. Often they do not have the right technique and strength to play the high tension but just want to do so because the professionals are doing it.

I suspect the main cause of them not getting power is that they have overlooked one very important fact, and that is where the sweet spot decreases significantly at high tension and they are simply not getting the power because of the lack of forgiveness in the smaller sweet spot. I used to play at 29-30lbs when playing A grade and state level, but after a 10 year break, strung my rackets at that level only to find that I had to gradually drop 1-2 lbs each time till I finally realised that I'm now an old man with less power and less accurate..... I'm settled on 23-24 lbs with BG66 UM and I let the final game scores speak rather than my ego.....LOL