Thin Soled Shoe Recommendation

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by hohohohi888, Jul 25, 2014.

1. hohohohi888

hohohohi888 Regular Member

Which badminton shoes have the thinnest soles?

I am looking to spend up to $150 internet price for a pair of shoes.

The reasons I am looking for a pair of shoes with the thinnest soles possible is:

1) Better stability/control. I feel my footwork comes to life when playing on a pair of runners which naturally have thins soles. Of course, I cannot use runners to play because of durability, cushioning, and grip factors.

2) My knees can handle it! I am only 18 years old, so minimal cushioning is A-okay for my body, no matter how much jumping i perform per game.

3) Thin soled shoes are generally lighter.

Also, one more question:
    I suspect that there are shoes to practice with that increase badminton footwork, but not to be used during gameplay? Say, basketball shoes, because they are tall/heavier (which means I must be quicker and stay balanced)?

Okay, thanks for the advice guys. I am new to this forum and plan on using it for badminton equipment reference.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

The thinnest one I'd have to say is Victor 9000ACE. Quite light, and fast reacting (eg pushoff, split step, etc) due to the thin sole. Many of us on the forum (myself included), however, find it too thin and lacking in cushioning, leading to ankle and Achilles tendon pain. So be warned that they should really be worn to play on matted courts, not on wooden floors, and definitely not on concrete floors...absolutely not.

Currently I'm using the updated version 9100, which has a tad more cushioning, but still quite fast reacting.

3. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Maybe you should consider indoor football shoes.

4. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

I've had the Victor 9000Ace myself and yeah, the cushioning is less than what I'm used to have with Yonex. Cushioning isn't cushioning though, it really depends. I need forefeet cushioning, heel cushioning isn't that important to me. Therefore the 9k Ace is quite firm indeed.

Mizuno maybe has what is needed here. Light and reactive. You maybe would like to try out the new Victor 9100 or the updated Yonex SHB F1LTD.

PS: You say you're 18 and don't feel pain. Yet. You will one day... so keep in mind to have more cushioning then you might need, one day you'll be thankful. This is me telling you this as someone who is four years older than you. :)

5. hohohohi888

hohohohi888 Regular Member

Okay, I've got me eye on the Victors.
    I feel apprehensive now, considering I play on wooden courts and want to preserve my lower body (will excessive pressure on knees/ankles at this age cause more problems later on?).

Are the Victors THAT harmful to the legs? I am quite athletic and can squat a lot, if that matters.

Anyways, I am open to other recommendations.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Go for the 9100. They're a noticeable improvement on the 9000ACE.

7. Barca

Barca Regular Member

In general, all Yonex shoes has thicker soles.

Asics has a few models with thin soles namely Gel-Blade.