Is this damaging my frame?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by AidenWrenPierce, Jul 29, 2014.

1. AidenWrenPierce

AidenWrenPierce Regular Member

Some of my shared grommets have split, It looks like my strings might be embedding into my frame? What should I do about it?
    Nanogy 98 at 25lbs. 20140729_070448.jpg 20140729_070505.jpg

2. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    From what I can see, the bottom picture looks fine. The grommet itself is still able to shield the frame from the string. Take another look at the right most grommet and see if the string if against the frame and not the grommet.

However, I take a serious look at the top pic. From the left, grommet 2 (from underneath) and 4 (top left) if the string is sitting/embedding itself into the frame. Grommet 5 appears to be borderline fine.

If it was me, I would cut the strings and get the grommets replaced before getting it restrung.

3. AidenWrenPierce

AidenWrenPierce Regular Member

Ok Thanks for your help

4. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I've seen this before when stringing rackets. As long as you can't see string through the sides of grommets, it's fine and it's designed that way.

5. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

The safest option is to have your stringer replace all the grommets that require replacing during your next re-string.... They're really cheap and only cost around $10 for a pack of 500....LOL. So generally, if they look frayed or damaged, they should be automatically replaced prior to stringing.

Most good re-stringer's should do that as a standard because quite often strings break within 1-2 games if grommets are old/faulty and reflect poorly on the stringer's workmanship....

6. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    Is there a piece of plastic between the string and the frame or the string is contacting directely the carbon?
    I wouldnt cut the string because if there is a piece of plastic then there is no major problem and if the string contacts directely the carbon then it will break very soon.
    In both cases you must have the grommet replaced before the next restringing.