Joining badminton games by showing up alone?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by cyberphoenix, Aug 5, 2014.

1. cyberphoenix

cyberphoenix New Member

I know the basics of badminton but am still just a beginner and have never received formal training from a coach. I just learned from videos and experience

I want to play more badminton but I don't have any friends who are interested in joining me. If I head to the local badminton courts, would it be awkward if I showed up alone, particularly because I'm still just a beginner? How can I find those who are welcoming to beginners who show up alone?

2. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Hey cyberphoenix, I see u are from california. Although I haven't been to all the clubs in CA, I have been to some clubs from Bay Area, most are pretty welcoming. Often times if they have a group of 3 and are missing one, they'll see if anyone around them/sitting around want to play. I would recommend going to the club and seeing if u can find some players around your level

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    yes

just try, search the internet, ask your friend, ask your family.

At first it is awkward. I joined a badminton club which is from a forum I looked into. kaskus.

At first I felt afraid, but I just want to play badminton, so i tried searching the net forums if there are clubs around my area (city). I looked into kaskus and I got it, a club in my city that is located ~30 minutes from my home. so I just typed my name there, say I joined, I also joined their facebook group.

I texted the TS(thread starter), saying I would join, and he just said, just come.

I felt nervous when I first came, I knew nobody, don't know who they are, and how they play, I think my level is a beginner just jumping to the middle class. What I did when I first came is shaking hands with almost everyone around, introducing myself, remembering their names, searching who is the leader, and so on. and then I just play.

after a while, the awkwardness and nervousnes vanish.

----------------------------------

I also joined a badminton club around my house by accident. That was because I wanted to play badminton badly, and went to rent the court alone for me and my youngest brother. The court owner said that there is another group from around my home that is also renting, so she suggested that I should just join them. Turns out that they are the people who often goes to the mosque and I meet often.

-------

If you are really JUST a beginner, have some guard that will play with you or against you. being the weak isn't good. you'll be skipped almost everytime and looked down upon.

4. ahcash

ahcash Regular Member

Drop in.... observe how they play in each court, if you think they are at the same level as you, ask if you can join in.. play for fun.. practice.. make friends.. ask questions and then start hanging out together.. Sometime it is a bit hard for advance players to play with beginners.. so, make sure you keep your eyes out and join the right group.. Be friendly.. not cocky.

5. Dogbert

Dogbert Regular Member

One option is to take a Community College Badminton class. You can learn the proper footwork and strategies while making some friends. Most badminton classes have teacher assistance who are advance and can help integrate you into more advance level groups outside of class if you show interest and is willing to learn and play at a higher level.

6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    How about find a club, and sign up for some group lessons (for your level)? Here you'd meet people, and maybe you could invite some to go play together after a little while.

7. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

Just be friendly, communicate and talk to people who might be on break from a game. Eventually it will come down to you telling them this...

Most people are nice and welcoming. Even those guys who are at the advanced stage, you might be lucky to make friends and play with them, you'll get better quick.

8. frederic

frederic Regular Member

Pharmaceuticals
    My condition is same to you. i am also a beginner in badminton playing and I don't have sufficient knowledge about this playing. For only this reason, I am joining in this Forum to learn more about how to play badminton for keeping myself healthy.