Racquet Clash! (Should I pay for my partners racquet?)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Gin80tonic, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Gin80tonic

Gin80tonic Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Hi all, I had a racquet clash with my partner last week :( . I was using a cheap $30 racquet (Prince Strobe) at the time, and my partner was using a Yonex MP100. The MP100 broke at the 12 o'clock position, and my partner said it was my fault hitting his racquet and demands me to buy him a new MP100. I am fairly a new player at doubles, and my partner's skill was about the same. It could have been my fault but it was kind of hard to judge, and it's a doubles match, so I expect racquet clash is just a risk that we all have to take. Obviously my partner was very unhappy because my cheap racquet didn't even have a scratch. We argued for awhile and some how it ended up that I will pay him $30 next time, mainly because I don't want to argue with him anymore and play some more badminton. I don't play alot of doubles, what would you do if u r in my position? Pls advise thanx :rolleyes:

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Depends on who should have been hitting the shuttle, you or him.
    Can you give more details of the exact circumstances?

In the past I have had a racquet broken by a clash with someone else, but I judged it to have been my own fault because I shouldn't have gone for the shot, so I didn't expect any compensation.

If it was a 50/50 sort of shot, e.g. you were side by side and the shuttle went down the middle between you, and you'd made no prior agreement on who takes shots down the middle, then you're both entitled to play a shot. If a racquet breaks in a clash in that situation, I wouldn't expect to give compensation.

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

don't pay a cent.

there's always a risk of injury/breakage on the court. You go on the court knowing the risks.

same with auto racing. If some guy flips his car over and crashes into a bunch of other cars, no one would expect it the first guy to pay. Same here. He wanted to play so he took the risk.

The only exception is if you intentionally try to damage his raccquet, which is clearly not the case here.

4. Gin80tonic

Graduate Student
    Thanks for replying. At the time I thought I was covering the front, but I was standing at the service line and a little right to the center line, and I thought my partner was covering the back area(so obviously he was at a distance behand me). I remembered the birdie was about to land to the left service area, near the service line. The result was neither of us hit the birdie back, we both missed it because of the clash. There was no agreement between my partner and I because we just met and it was just a practice game. I can't really judge if it was my fault or not.

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    If he's in the back, he's the one that can see his partner. Not likely you're gonna look behind you before making every shot. If the situation you described is accurate, dont pay him

6. sheelay

sheelay Regular Member

Student
    just a suggestion.. why not both of u pay half the amount and continue playing badminton together?

7. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    If he has a clear view of what you're doing (since he's at the back), then he's liable for his own breakage. Especially shots to the front.

Shots to the backhand rearcourt is tricky if the person at the back is turned around for a backhand clear, and the net-person backs up to cover that side.

In doubles, each player HAS to be aware of his/her partners location and probability of returns. Otherwise LET THE CLASHES BEGIN!

-dave

8. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Probably because half of the cost of MP100 is still maybe double the price of Gin80tonic's racket :D

-dave

9. calvinlgoh

calvinlgoh Regular Member

Student
    don't pay him...
    I agree with what most ppl have said... just a little somthing to add...

I feel that the only time you should have to pay for someone's racket is when you borrow the racket from him/her. In other words, you broke it while using it. Apart from that, clashes are bound to happen and whether to offer any compensation or not should be voluntary and not demanded.

:)

calvin

10. Gin80tonic

Graduate Student
    Maybe i should get a better racquet. That way during a clash, my racquet will not have much advantage over my partners. Playing with my $30 racquet is like holding a piece of steel. I don't think any good racquet will survive a clash with my racquet. I of course did not get this cheap racquet so that I can easily break other people's racquet in a clash :) . I was planning to get a better racquet after I get better in doubles, looks like i should get one sooner, considering the fate of other people racquets.

11. other

other Regular Member

Student
    heh.........u want your racquet to break in a clash......u sound rich...why not buy him a new racquet then:D

12. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Clashes are accepted as part and parcel of the game - they happen and sometimes rackets break.

No one ever asks for compensation, that's just silly :mad:

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree with Dill here. it has always been an unwritten understanding that whoever holds the racket is responsible for the damage. it is one's own decision to swing the racket you hold on your hand and one should be responsible for it.

14. other

other Regular Member

Student
    don't pay him/her anything....if that affects their attitude towards you, then just don't play with them anymore. tough luck he was using an expensive racquet

15. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    kwun, dill, i concur

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    since it broke at 12 oclock position, the stringer could be partly to blame. Did u remember hitting his mp100 at 12 oclock position exactly?

17. Gin80tonic

Graduate Student
    I can't tell, it happend too fast. But I am 90% sure that the mp100 got hit around the 12 oclock position. I don't even know where exactly my racquet got hit, I couldn't find any scratch on it.

Thanx all for reply.

18. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    Clashes are a good reason not to use expensive rackets..

Either you worry about clashing and don't go for the shot..maybe costing you the game
    Or you risk your racket in a possible clash, but it wouldn't be worth it just for a game now..

I think that anyone using MP100 should not expect a new player using a $30 racket to compensate. After all, the new player couldn't afford a better racket for himself.

For car accidents...usually one of the drivers are at more fault. But accidents are covered under insurance, so the driver at fault does not have to pay all of the damage up front.

Maybe someone should start selling insurance for badminton rackets :D

19. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I wouldn't blame the cost of your racquet for surviving the clash, nor the cost of his for breaking. It was most likely the angles of your racquets at the point of impact that determined whos racquet survived and whos didn't. I've seen players slice clean through their partners' racquet, like a samurai sword, without a scratch on their own.

Swords can't slice through bamboo unless the angle is perfect, I'd say it goes similarly for racquets. Technique is everything. Tell your "friend" that if his technique was better, he could have survived the clash ;) :p :D. Seriously though, don't blame your racquet, and don't buy an expensive one for other players' sake.

Also, I've heard of at least 10 people with expensive Yonex Muscle Power racquets to have broken theirs in even light clashes on similar areas of the racquet head. Tell your friend not to buy such a wimpy racquet, but get a REAL man's racquet like yours! :D ;) j/k. Racquet models vary in design & manufacture, and as a result, some are structurally weaker in some areas of the frame than others.

From what you describe, I wouldn't pay that guy a cent. As others have mentioned, it is quite rare that players compensate eachother for broken racquets unless it is very clearly, and entirely one persons fault.

20. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    To put this incident into perspective, a friend of mine once had his eye glasses shattered by an idiotic partner.

Check out this scenario:

My friend was playing mens doubles with a mutual friend. Both were intermediate level players. During this particular rally, they were on the offensive, thus front and back. My friend was standing on the back line, and waiting for a deep clear to come down. His partner, who was on the service line, suddenly decides that clear was his. He bounds backwards, leaning/arching so far backwards that he looked like a drunk version of Neo in the Matrix dodging bullets. My friend was focusing on the shuttle so he didn't see the idiots huge upward swing and got smoked right in the face. Luckily because of the almost tangential angle of the swing with my friends face, most of the swing caught his glasses instead of flesh. *KAPOWIE* Kiss one set of Gucci glasses good-bye. My friend also suffered a nice gash around one eye socket where his glasses drove into his face. Although initially very apologetic and embarASSed, "Drunken-style Neo" refused to pay a cent!! After 2 years of reminders from my friend, he finally coughed up a portion of the replacement cost!!! This from a guy who drives a Lexus, pays no rent, makes an upper-middle class salary, and is an only child (or so we hope).

So this was a case where the perpetrator was clearly at fault, and yet still refused to pay up!

Note: No racquets were harmed during the making of this scenario :p.