Yonex Nanoray Excel - advice for the beginner

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Red001, Aug 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Red001

Red001 New Member

I am a novice in badminton playing once a week with some aluminum racquet from Costco for the last 3 summers. I am considering Yonex Nanoray Excel (~$60) as my next racket.
    The same local store has BG65 string and I found from he forum that 20 lbs is the recommended tension.
    Can someone experienced comment on my choices?

Thank you advance.

2. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

NR Excel will be a good upgrade over your aluminum racket. But I think "Excel" racket has something called "excel alloy" for the frame while shaft is graphite. This isn't the same as graphite head/frame.

One of my club mates have this racket, and the racket is quite good. I think for occasional play at novice level it's good enough. Depending on how serious you might get with the game later, you could also consider Nanoray 20 or Arcsaber 002. These rackets can keep up with you till about intermediate level of play. String tension and choice sounds good.

3. Red001

Red001 New Member

Sayshh - Thank you for the advice.
    I bought full graphite Yonex Isometric Power (YIP) and already played one session with the new racquet. There is a noticeable difference between my aluminum and full graphite racquet. New YIP is light and yet powerful. It seems like for the beginner like myself YIP racquet is more than enough.

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    racket is horrible, no feel compared to a full graphite racket. i have it and it feels numb. you are better off spending your money on a full graphite racket.

5. Red001

Red001 New Member

What racket are you referring to?

6. ntpm

ntpm Regular Member

Database Administrator
    I'm not sure where in Canada you live, so I'm just going to point you to SportChek for now.

The following full graphite rackets can all be found on the sportchek.ca website and are within 10 dollars of the price of the Nanoray Excel:
    Yonex Nanospeed 100
    Yonex Isometric Power
    Black Knight Electric 180
    Black Knight Cyclone
    Black Knight Radical CG

I haven't played with any of these, so am not sure of how good they are. I actually recommend to try out the rackets of your club mates to see what you like.

7. ntpm

ntpm Regular Member

Database Administrator
    [MENTION=118652]Red001[/MENTION]
    Whoops I missed that you already bought the Yonex Isometric Power. Happy playing!

8. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

I guess gundamzaku was referring to Nanoray Excel. Anyway, you have made your purchase and as long as you are happy playing with it, that's all matters! Enjoy the game!

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    yup! so sorry for the late response and not being specific :(

10. ryzwan

ryzwan New Member

Hi Red001, could you please share your experience playing with Yonex Isometric Power Racket, as i am also planning to now buy my own racket under price range of $50.

Thanks

11. ryzwan

ryzwan New Member

I have just picked up playing badminton so pretty beginner, so far I was borrowing the racquets but now

I want to buy a racquet but don’t want to spend a lot of money at this point, my budget is under $50.
    a place in Toronto has some badminton racquets under $50. Can someone please suggest me which one I should buy.

http://www.sportchek.ca/family/inde...=Brand&fbn=Brand|Yonex+++&s=A-StorePrice-SPCK

Thanks in advance.