Hi Qua vs MBS Flying Clamps

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by PinkDawg, Aug 8, 2014.

1. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Hey everyone,
    The MBS clamps and Hi Qua (hiquasports.com) clamps are available to me at nearly the same price. I've looked up some threads because I need new clamps that can take on higher tensions than the klippermate clamps, and I found the MBS clamps have had great reviews. Are they worth getting? Are they better than the Hi Qua clamps? I haven't found much on them.

The MBS clamps look very cool :)

2. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

*also, I am open to any alternatives.

3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    The big MBS clamps are almost identical to the Hi Qua ones, you should just take the cheaper ones.

The small MBS clamps are similar to the Yonex flying clamps (Yonex clamps are a little bit smaller and one less tooth), although I prefer the MBS ones. They're both very good quality though.

4. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Thank you! Is the MBS clamp currently available (here) the big or small MBS clamp? I feel like I will opt for MBS in any case.

5. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Those are the big ones.

I prefer to use the big ones for the main strings and the small ones for the cross strings because they seem more fitting for that, but both are good enough for both purposes, it's just a matter of preference.

6. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
  7. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

That's quite an impressive price for Yonex, so now it's competitive, but unfortunately I'm in the US and shipping costs and VAT (I don't know what this is) make it even more expensive. Thank you for the advice, though I don't think I would get it unless Yonex possesses a distinct advantage over MBS or Hi-Qua.

8. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

The Yonex clamps are a little smaller, so they are a little harder to use (because the lever effect is lesser, so they require more force to open). That's the only reason why I prefer the small MBS ones, but both are great clamps.

I've used the MBS clamps for high tensions without any problems, so either would be fine imo.

9. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    I've used the Hi-Qua clamps before and I think they are just big and "clumsy." Though never used the MBS ones before, for me personally, I'll consider the Yonex ones the benchmark (when it comes to flying clamps).

You don't pay VAT if you're a non-EU buyer. I bought four and the total price came to GBP 56.85. Good luck with your hunt for the right clamps, [MENTION=103062]PinkDawg[/MENTION]

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

11. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

thanks for the advice, everyone! I ended up going with Hi-Qua because it seems like the differences between clamps are pretty minor and yan.v said that they're similar to the MBS ones. Also, the U.S. distributor communicated well.

12. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

The Hi-Qua clamps seem to be identical to the klippermate clamps. Do the relatively new klippermate clamps (bought 2011ish) have tension loss? maybe the springs aren't the same as in the Hi-Qua clamps.

In either case, I will use the Hi-Qua clamps now.

13. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I have never used the Klippermate, so I wouldn't be able to say.

However, I have never experienced noticeable tension losses with Hi Qua clamps up to moderately high tensions (26-28 lbs)

14. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

It was sort of uncanny how similar the klippermate clamps were to the Hi-Qua clamps. Everything from the paint to the finish to the weight- exact within .1 ounce- was nearly exact. I suppose that at least I have the security of very low tension loss with the Hi-Qua clamps. thank you to everyone who helped.