Review: FZ FORZA Evolve Badminton Shoe

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Cheung, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    FZ FORZA Evolve Badminton Shoe

(Certain parts of the review may bear similarities to other product reviews from the same brand)

Earlier this year (2014), I happened to have a chance meeting with FZ FORZA in Asia. It is not a brand that is commonly seen around Asia but it has a strong presence in Europe. Looking back, it is a brand I have noticed become less prominent on the TV since its initial flourish in the 1990’s. Those times, you could see a fair number of Danish players using FZ FORZA. After chatting a bit to FZ FORZA, they explained they want to market more in certain Asian countries. However, they will not be going for the big sponsorship deals. Rather, they will be trying to focus on younger talents and up and coming countries. That sound like a strategy that benefits both young professional players trying to establish themselves and also exposure of the brand at a mid-*‐market segment. You may have noticed recently FZ FORZA Facebook in Singapore and Malaysia and a Weibo page as part of their soft push into social media sites. Some of you may have noticed the FZ FORZA website, the facility to personalize racquet bags and differences between the European and Asian catalogues.
    FZ FORZA tell me they put a lot of effort and resources into their products – the premise being able to have higher quality products at a competitive pricing strategy. Certainly, if they are not going to do the traditional marquee player/tournament sponsorship, then their outgoings risks will be smaller. Given that they promise a value for money product, they will be depending on customer loyalty and secondary referrals from this customer base. I will leave readers to investigate if their respective local FZ FORZA retailers are indeed priced more competitively.

For this review, I will focus on the shoes. Interestingly, we do not get so many reviews of shoes despite our opinion that they are the most important piece of equipment to be chosen. Back in the 1980’s and before, it was common to see players either use squash shoes, or, if coming from China, canvas shoes with a thin piece of rubber for the sole. The late 1980’s and 1990’s saw badminton racquet manufacturers start to enter the shoe market. From 2000 onwards, badminton shoes have become increasingly more sophisticated.

I was sent the Evolve shoes to evaluate. The Evolve shoes come in 3 designs with one of these targeted to lady players. There is a Lingus model above the Evolve that comes in striking neon green/yellow marking design. Personally, I prefer the black and red design of the Evolve – neon green/yellow doesn’t match my hair colour! I wore the shoes for a number of sessions and on different surfaces giving them a good workout. My previous experience with badminton shoes has been poor heel cushioning, thin forefoot padding, slippery soles, loosening of parts after only 2-3 months of use and poor stability. I have to admit there has been a lot of general improvement overall in badminton shoes over the past the last decade but these previous experiences have left me being a bit fussy about shoes.

So that’s enough of the introduction. How did the shoes shape up under this review?

Shoe examination and first impressions

Out of the box, the shoes come out with a label of instructions and a warranty of 3 months so long as the user has only used it: indoors, for the purpose it was made for, no repairs made by user and maintained properly. It is the first time I have seen a warranty on a pair of sports shoes.

We see a mainly black coloured shoe with red and white trimming. The toes area arches up fairly high making it look like there is plenty of room for the toes. The synthetic leather is a microfibre polyurethane material. The lateral edge is mainly stiff white PU material with a piece of red plastic that comes up the side just past midway towards the forefoot. Going backwards, we can see the midsole area gets thicker for better cushioning. The mid foot to rear underneath area has more of the very stiff PU material for stabilising the shoe. The forefoot area of the sole has the multiple circular pattern for the twisting movements of the foot on the floor for badminton specific movements.

Before putting the shoe on, I take out the insoles and replace them with my own custom insoles. I tie up the shoes and away on court I go. Usually, trying a new shoe out needs a bit of caution the first few times of use. The grip feels a bit different from the previous shoe I was using and a new sole takes a little time to wear in. My first impression of the shoe is that it is indeed a comfortable shoe. My feet are quite wide and I also wear ankle supports due to previous ankle sprains. The forefoot area has space so the toes don’t bang upwards into the shoe thereby reducing potential trauma to the toenails and is also wide enough so that the toes are not crushed together. The feet felt very stable in the shoe compared to the previous shoe I was using (won’t mention the brand). The raised red plastic on the lateral side of the shoe is no gimmick – it really contributes to the stability of my foot and lower limb.

On the court

Front back and jumping court movements – The forefoot area of the Evolve has enough padding that adequately cushions the impact with the floor with jumps. With the heel cushioning and my particular use, I use custom insoles that add heel protection. I didn’t experience any problems with heels on ground impact but it’s something I can’t evaluate adequately for this review. Just to mention the toes again, there is definitely enough room for my toes to be confortable. I tried the shoes out on a variety of surfaces and the shoes didn’t slide at all on even some very smooth surfaces. The shoe doesn’t feel unduly heavy on the feet. When I do the split step preload movement, I get a good pre-tension feeling in my leg and feet muscles to push off. Some other shoes I have tried have poor pre‐tension feeling that slows my movement and requires me to make more effort.

Diagonal and turning movements ‐ My feet have a natural tendency to turn inwards and this creates problems when lunging forward for a shot. A leading foot that plants and turns inwards can roll the ankle and cause an ankle sprain. Good footwork training to turn the leading foot outwards on landing is the answer but there are occasions when it just doesn’t work like that in a game. I was very pleased to find the red plastic on the lateral edge is very helpful in this respect. It adds some extra stability so if the leading foot is unfortunate enough to have turned inwards, then there is less chance of rolling over on the ankle. Multiple sessions have confirmed the shoe has good stability for singles and for doubles. For other shoes, I have found the shoe material on the side tends to stretch after some time. I don’t view it as a problem but I am pleased to note that the Evolve does not seem to suffer from this. Ankle supports are a piece of equipment I have used for many years – mainly to increase proprioception (or perhaps as a psychological prop) – and I had just bought a new pair of Mizuno ankle supports in Japan just prior to trying out the Evolve. Since the Evolve shoe felt so stable, I tried playing without my ankle supports. I was very pleased to find that my feet and shoes felt just as stable without the ankle supports with my foot still fitting in nicely into the shoe.

Summary

The FZ FORZA Evolve shoe has impressed me greatly. It is a very stable shoe that doesn’t feel heavy on the feet and legs and works on a number of different surfaces. Feedback from a couple of other local coaches on their first usage of the shoe has also been positive. Players who enter competitions/matches (even leisure players) are recommended explore this shoe further.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Nice review, Cheung.

It was quite timely to read your review, as my house has just taken delivery of three different pairs of Forza shoes from badmintonian.com for me and my boys. Mine are the Evolve in black with red. Seems well built. Very stylish (If your idea of stylish is more understated than neon green plastic.)

I have not worn mine on court yet. From wearing them around the house, I'd agree that there is enough room for the toes. But there is a bit of tightness across the metatarsal heads ('knuckles') of my rather flat feet. It's about the same amount of room as I have with my Yonex SHB-80W, but less room than my 82W.

I'm quite eager to see how they feel on court. And to see how long they last, which is a true marker of quality.:)

Attached Files:

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Fidget

Interesting about your metatarsal heads. It wasn't something that I have noticed but will pay attention to later. I can't say how long they are going to last but they definitely feel better than the last pair of shoes I used.

4. JHLBAD

JHLBAD Regular Member

Accountant
    What should I espect for Forza? Are they making great quality equipment overall? I'm in contact with a Forza representant and I'm wondering if the quality of racket and shoe are good enough compare to the Yonex equipment that I actually using before change all my equipment

5. Badderz_Alpha

Badderz_Alpha Regular Member

Great write up Cheung! I have been using these shoes for the past year and durability is very good, only the usual scuff marks on the inside of the non racket foot as normal.. sole grip has lasted very will and hasn't degraded at all! They have the best cushioning of the shoes that I tried out last year...

some more pics...

DSC05552-1.jpg
    DSC05540.jpg
    DSC05547.jpg

#5 Badderz_Alpha, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  6. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Great write up Cheung.

Partly due to you, I also picked up a pair of Forza Evolves. I have the White and Blue version though, a couple pics of mine. I really like these shoes, very comfortable to me with great cushion and support. These are my second pair of Forza shoes, previously I had a low end model and liked it enough to try this high end model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Don't take this as an insult but... they look like a Yonex shoe from 8 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the designs were bought and tweaked to be honest, looking at them.

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

msitpro, in what business do competitors not 'borrow' ideas from each other. ;)

As long as a shoe doesn't look like something Bootsy Collins would wear, I'd judge it by it's comfort and durability rather than appearance.

bootsy.jpg

9. Badderz_Alpha

Badderz_Alpha Regular Member

Yeh, what he said ^^ you obviously haven't ever tried the Evolve shoe msitpro ?? yes, it probably is the same in the fact it has a sole and laces, its pretty common design when it comes to shoes! This has been a popular shoe this past season and used by all of the young FZ sponsored players on the circuit..

10. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Just an observation.

For example, I may purchase a pair of old stock SC5 my local retailer has left in my size... Very similar upper design and sole as these. (but more cushioning)

11. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I finally tried these shoes on court. Quite comfortable and no problem with room in the forefoot. :)

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I always get a little nervous when writing a review. People may differ greatly in their opinions and what if I got it wrong?

13. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Cheung, I know what you mean. In this case so far, I am having good experience with the shoes, right now, it's just a matter of how long they hold up. The longer they last, the better I feel about the Forza quality.

I feel very comfortable after the break in period, during, it felt tight like all new shoes generally feel. There is also a break in period for me to have the squeak in the bottom sole. I have to say that I feel very comfortable with my movements with the shoes. I have rolled both my ankles in the past and I'm mentally always thinking about landing wrong when I play. For those who have rolled ankles, you know that feeling, not one I want to experience over and over again. With the Evolve, I haven't thought much about landing wrong, say from a quick retreat or from a jump.

It's not all good for me though, I have a love/hate relationship with the blue/white model. I like the neutral colors and the white but at the same time it gets dirtied fast because it's mostly white and some people may not like that. If you like your shoes to look less beat up, go for the black version.

14. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Mater, I used the FZ-3000DK as my previous pair of shoes, and it lasted around one year (at the end, I was sort of pushing it, though). The new shoes look somewhat more durable. I only wish they hadn't cost $100, haha. That being said, I would have preferred them over the squash shoes I am wearing now ><

15. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    PinkDawg, how often do you play in a week (days or hours)? I had an entry level Forza that lasted approx. 6 months but I pushed it hard during the end of it's life when I played 6-9 hours a week, mainly singles. Now I only play 3-4 hours a week, mainly doubles, so less court coverage.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I see that Sam Parsons uses the Evolve.

17. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Aye Parsnip does... As does his brother while narrowly beating me the other week :/

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Now you know their secret ;)

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Most rubber soles when new have a thin layer of powder on it, leftover from manufacturing. This can be easily cleaned off with a bit of soap and water to get the sole squeaky right from the start.

20. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I have worn these shoes for about a month now, and can say that they are the best fitting court shoe for my particular (peculiar) feet. The grip is as good as previous Yonex shoes I've tried. And so far no terrible wear anywhere. Good job Forza!