User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soulpx View Post
    To you this year world champion just the runner up to the "true world champion". But to badminton fans with logical thinking, this year world champion is really a world champion. Because what? He worked hard to train and to stay fit over the qualification period to win matches and get some points, fly over across many countries to help promote the sport, leave their families, wife, kids and new born babies to participate the tournament while the "true world champion" (to you) sitting at home eating popcorn watching it live beside his beloved wife. Or at the beach enjoying the sun tanned his skin. If this year world champion don't deserve to be called a world champ, I really don't understand what kind of world we are living.
    I don't doubt that #64 has worked hard to get the points to participate in the WC. However, #64 also has almost no chance to win the WC. I've already said that if I'm #64 and I lost my spot to LD, it would motivate me to work harder for next year so that my ranking is so much higher than #64, it wouldn't be an issue the next year.

#64 knows he has almost no chance of winning the tournament. Provided the lowest ranked player did not win the tournament the year before, do you know of a SS or WC where the lowest ranked player won the tournament in the history of badminton?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pardon me for saying this - it doesn't matter how hard a player trains, how he has to travel all over the world competing without break, leaving his beloved family behind time after time, etc, while the other player chooses to take a long rest to spend quality time with his dear wife and parents, enjoying life and all that and at the same time risk losing his form and fitness. Ultimately, it comes down to who is truly the best player in the world as far as the world championship is concerned.

There's no gainsaying that professional sport is cruel. It's not uncommon for many athletes to train their guts out, sacrifice their precious time and effort, literally giving the best years of their lives, at the expense of quality time with their loved ones and yet at the end of the day have little to show for it, nothing to fall back on, no career to speak of, even neglected and forgotten in some unfortunate cases. That's why I 'm all for some sort of proper,decent arrangements and viable plans be made for these national athletes upon their retirement but that's another story.

The latest casualty as we know is Du Pengyu who is forced by circumstances to a premature retirement at age 27 (actually,I last heard that he himself expressed his desire to retire to LYB even before the Thomas Cup debacle but his request is still under consideration by LYB, officially not confirmed yet but his withdrawal from the WC points towards such an eventuality).Personally, I'd much prefer he make the WC'14 his swan song;on the other hand, if his heart is not in it, then no point forcing and torturing himself. Anyway, something good came out of it, thanks to his last-minute withdrawal, Simon Santoso gets to have a crack at the world title.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by galaxyduo View Post
    As Justin L says, World Champion implies "best in the world." How can you be the World Champion when many regard you as 2nd best because the "best" is not a part of this tournament?
    Well same goes if he was injured but you said that would be fine? What happened, happened and it was mostly down to LD himself not the wildcard. The show will go on and the best this year will be crowned.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If a doubles pair won in one year, then split up and qualified with another person on merit, how could that be resolved?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automatic qualification for the reigning champion is fine. I beleive for a pair, the pair is crowned and the same pair should be given an entry slot. If they split, no automatic qualification.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    The show will go on and the best this year will be crowned.
    You mean the "second best" of this year will be crowned, not the "best."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    If a doubles pair won in one year, then split up and qualified with another person on merit, how could that be resolved?
    What renbo said. If they split, they are different teams and are not the defending champion. They would not get an automatic spot.
    Last edited by galaxyduo; 08-12-2014 at 11:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Pardon me for saying this - it doesn't matter how hard a player trains, how he has to travel all over the world competing without break, leaving his beloved family behind time after time, etc, while the other player chooses to take a long rest to spend quality time with his dear wife and parents, enjoying life and all that and at the same time risk losing his form and fitness. Ultimately, it comes down to who is truly the best player in the world as far as the world championship is concerned.
    What Justin L said. If you're #64 best player there, you just need to work harder next year to ensure your ranking is well beyond #64. The World Championship should be about finding the best in the world, not about showing sympathy to #64 who has no chance of winning the tournament.

I would even say, if the defending champion can win year after year without participating in any other BWF events, they should be invited back year after year to the WC until they finally lose one year. Why? Because they have proven they are the best and deserve entry next year to defend their title.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by galaxyduo View Post
    You mean the "second best" of this year will be crowned, not the "best."
    Lol, no, he never bothered to qualify so he can not proof that this year unfortunately.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do any of you guys know that Scotland actually had a 100m Olympics champion not that many years ago?
    His name is Allan Wells and he won it in 1980 (Moscow), when the American boycotted the Games.

unfortunately, whoever win the MS this year will be remembered with the same reason.
    The you know who wasn't there.
    Last edited by AlanY; 08-13-2014 at 06:34 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    do any of you guys know that Scotland actually had a 100m Olympics champion not that many years ago?
    His name is Allan Wells and he won it in 1980 (Moscow), when the American boycotted the Games.

unfortunately, whoever won the MS this year will be remembered with the same reason.
    Yes. I do know of him and watched that race. Carl Lewis won in 1984 (watched that as well ) The Russian team and many former eastern bloc countries didn't attend in1984.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To be honest, it will need some rule changes for the reigning world champions to automatically qualify.

Wimbledon is a good example of wild cards. We need a draw for 128 entries: )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I belive you guy's are way to much Lin Dan lovers to talk about WC on an decent level!

After Swedens national soccerteam played 4-2 against England and Zlatan Ibrahimovic did all the goals himself. After the match interviewed a reporter Swedens coach, and he suggested that Sweden is nothing without Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and the coach get pissed off on the reporter and said. - You really insult the other players!

This time I feel the same.

I really like Lin Dan and he is truly a good ambassador for badminton, but he is not the "World Championship" himself.

The man who win the World Championship this year is truly this years world champion, eaven without Lin Dan!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand BWF wants to make a point and tell all the players that they have to play the tour and enter the normal tournaments.

But Lin Dan has already enrolled in many SS or GPG tournaments this year.

In the end, I'm still looking forward to the WC. It will be exciting, but definitely feels like something is missing without Lin Dan in the field.

It would be like a Wimbledon without Federer or a 100m sprint without Usain Bolt.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post

unfortunately, whoever win the MS this year will be remembered with the same reason.
    Lol why that reference? I had heard of him but didn't know much more. Looked him up and apparently he went over to America to silence any critics of his achievement, straight after and beat them all. Then the following year beat Carl Lewis to gold in the world cup. So I suppose it is a good reference in that some people just remember thing's the way they want no matter what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Lol, no, he never bothered to qualify so he can not proof that this year unfortunately.
    He didn't qualify last year either and yet he won the tournament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    To be honest, it will need some rule changes for the reigning world champions to automatically qualify.

Wimbledon is a good example of wild cards. We need a draw for 128 entries: )
    Agreed. I don't know why tennis is so many years ahead of badminton.

But honestly, 64 entries is quite a lot. Giving up #64's spot for the defending champion is not a big deal, IMO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast