Strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by SweetDreamz, Mar 25, 2004.

1. SweetDreamz

SweetDreamz Regular Member

Hi all,
    I recently found, yes found, some rackets that my dad had bought awhile back. They were Yonex Carbonex21, Carbonex15, and a Boron 2.

I've tried out them, and I like the 21 more. I know the Boron 2 is a rare one, so I rather not want to play with it(it's still has the plastic wrapper at the end!).

Anyways, to the question. Which type of strings would be good for the 21? BG 65? 66? 85?

And what does the number stand for anyways?

Also, how many pounds of tension would you suggest? I'm thinking about 20-22 Ibs.

Thanks in advance.

2. Traum

Traum Regular Member

The names of the string is just that -- it's just a name, and often, it doesn't have much of a meaning.

Different strings will have a different behaviour. You can probably look through the review section to check out how each of the different strings behave. From your list below, I'd say both BG66 and BG85 are pretty fragile, and they wouldn't last too long before they snap, even if you string them at medium tensions (20-ish lbs).

BG65 is known to be extremely durable and can put up with very high tensions (up to the high 20s), but average players probably wouldn't need to go that high.

I personally don't like BG65 all that much, since I find that it is lacking in feel and power. If you are only going to string up to 20 - 22 lbs, you might want to look into BG80, which has great feel and power. It is not as durable as BG65 (though it still lasts longer than BG66 and 85).

You might also want to consider strings from a manufacturer other than Yonex. I've had some very positive experience with Gosen's BioRoots strings and their Roots Aermet strings.

Finally, everyone has a different perference for string tension. You'll have to experience this for yourself to see how tight you like your strings. Starting experimenting at around 20 - 22 is a pretty safe bet.

Have fun trying things out!

-Rick

3. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

warning on tension

hello...

what tension are u used to playing?

DO not string your racquet at a very high tension where you're not used to it...

YOU RISK INJURING YOUR WRIST...

That's Just What Happened To Me........

I Switched From 24lbs to 27lbs.... and woolaa... i injured my wrist and it became swollen... had to rest for few days.....

4. SweetDreamz

Hmm....never know what tension I play at

I always had played with factory strings, or the school's rackets until I found these rackets.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

In that case, I recommend restringing with BG-65 at 20 or 21 lbs. This is a safe string and tension to start with; see how you like it.

6. SweetDreamz

Thanks Gollum, I'll try it out first then.

Just curious, how can high tension of the strings that are on the racket, hurt your wrist? Isn't it just tighter strings?