Why wouldn't basketball shoes be a good alternative?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Scriber, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Scriber

Scriber Regular Member

I know ppl will say that the thicker sole on a b-ball shoe will induce spraining of ankles. I don't know if i buy it. Basketball players are jumping all the time, and ppl buy b-ball shoes to avoid ankle injuries(as opposed to running sneakers). i think the only downside would be that they are heavier and maybe less breathable. i'd like ot know your thoughts.

2. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    i think its because when bball players jump, they usually have their feet together when they do a jumpshot thus when they land, they're more stable when landing on both feet. in a sense the two feet together support each other. when bball players do a jumpshot, they dont jump too high.

however in baddy, when you do a jumpsmash, you dont land on your feet together, they're normally apart. you try to jump as high as possible for max angle and/or power. so if you jumpsmash, you land with your feet apart and both of your feet are not supporting eachother which can lead to instability when you land. with the instability and depending on the way you land with how much weight is put on what side can lead to a sprained ankle.

so its partially about the shoe, but its also about the technique used.

just my 2 cents

#2 shiriblue, Mar 25, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    try doing this with basketball shoes..

most jump in bball are vertical jump and horizontal movements. hardly ever do bball players do deep and low lunges like badminton players do. a deep lunge like the one in the picture will kill your ankle in no time.

Attached Files:

4. SweetDreamz

SweetDreamz Regular Member

Not always. When you do layups, you jump off with 1 leg and land on the same feet. And some hang in the air abit before they release their shot.

And...those splits look really hard to do.

5. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    This subject has been discussed many times. You don't do the same movement in Basketball and Badminton.

The sole is not the same, the ventilation is not the same, the cushioning is not the same and the stability is not the same. Basketball shoes are usually heavier and more fancy wich you don't really need in Badminton.

Of course some people are fine with Basketball shoes but in a more competitive level (example: movement Kwun showed in the pic), Basketball shoe just can't match up with badminton shoes.

Don't forget that Basketball shoes usually cost alot more too. My advice is not to gamble with your ankle and do the smart and safe choice to buy ''Badminton'' shoes.

6. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Let's not forget the frequent (or should I say constant?) directional changes that are just part of badminton. I'm not saying bball doesn't involve directional changes, but you don't see/use them to the same degree as you do in badminton. The thicker soles combined with the dramatically more frequent directional changes sounds like the perfect recipe for ankle disasters.

-Rick

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree.

1. Lower end bball shoes: cheaper than baddy shoes (higher end), but does not offer too much protection.

2. Higher end bball shoes: more protection in some degrees, but do not cover all the features baddy needs, plus more expensive.

Conclusion: why bother?

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Another thing besides all the advice above is that basketball shoes are much heavier than badminton shoes.

9. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    mid-cut badminton shoes?

I still use basketball shoes, mainly because of several reasons:
    1) The selection of badminton shoes seem so limited here in CA
    2) The price for high-end badminton shoes seem very high
    3) The styles pretty much suck ( :p just my opinion, no offense meant)
    4) I like wearing mid-cut shoes because I believe this protects your ankles better.

Granted I believe in all of your comments of the need for a good pair of badminton shoes, so I will change soon and will probably buy a pair the next time I go to Hong Kong. On that note, does anyone know if a pair of mid-cut badminton shoes exist?

P.S. Kwun- I couldn't do that (i.e. the pic) with my current shoes, badminton shoes, rollerblades, or any other way known to man :p

10. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Prophet,

I really love the designs of basketball shoes aesthetically (especially 'And 1'). But if the ankle protection is the only issue, I should ask the following question:

Why wouldn't hiking shoes be a good alternative?

I think Kwun's attached pictures explained everything.

Noted that you are thinking of coming to HK to get a pair of badminton shoes, there's a bad news. There's been less choice here since Asics has withdrawn from HK. Only Yonex and Mizuno left.

I would love to try new Hi-Tec shoes. But only hiking shoes of this brand are available in HK.

11. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Careful... High end mizuno are usually a bit heavier than other shoes. But in therm of confortability, cushionign and shock absorbtion they are hard to beat.

Try them before you buy, some people will really dislike them.

12. Scriber

Scriber Regular Member

Verdict:I originally posted this thread because i wanted to save some money by using my existing tennis/running/b-ball shoes instead of buying dedicted badminton shoes. After wearing these for 2 sessions, I feel that they were worth the money i spent on them. Here's why:

OK, so I bought a pair of Yonex Shb-98 low. Its a tottaly different kind of shoe compared to regular tennis shoes or basketball shoes. The most striking is the incredible amount of arch support. It felt really wierd in the beginning. Next, it is really light compared to a pair of b-ball sneakers. Whether this difference in weight will actually make a difference is another story. Thirdly, the ball area of the foot is really thin compared to regular shoes. Breathability...I didn't really feel a difference in breathability as compared to tennis shoes since the shoe felt very snug and sock like. However, when i took it off after 3 hours , my feet were not all sweaty like they would be if i were wearing mid top b-ball sneakers.

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I am beginning to think that shoe weight is more significant than I perceived before. I get fatigued faster wearing my heavier Mizuno Stratosphere 2003 than my last pair of SHB 89M. Also, I felt that my footwork suffered because I am stepping heavily with my current shoe whereas I felt like stepping on air during the first few weeks of SHB 89M (when the cushion was still alright). The impact dispersion features of the Mizuno also reinforced slacking off on proper footwork as I felt little to no pain when I pound around the court. Baddy footwork focus on stepping lightly or using more calf muscles to absorb impact... ideally baddy footwork should make no impact sound.