Tantrum 200 outdated?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by calyon, Aug 13, 2014.

1. calyon

calyon Regular Member

none
    I am an all rounder player and I play around 2-3 hours per week..
    For around 1-2years I wanted to buy a tantrum 200 but could not afford it due to it’s price. Now I have the means but currently I’ve seen a lot of new rackets that came out and seems good and now I’m wondering if tantrum 200 might be outdated and wondering if there are newer and better rackets than the tantrum 200.

Are there rackets similar to the tantrum 200 but better?

Eg is the apacs virtuoso performance better?

Any recommendation?

2. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

The virtuoso performance rackets are very good. I wasn't sure about them to start with but the more I use them the more I like them and I definitely prefer them to my old tantrum 200 or 300.
    The frame is very quick and doesn't feel sluggish. I just ordered my third virtuoso performance so I can use them for the new season as my main rackets.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Calyon,

If you dreamed of owning a Tantrum 200, and now it's affordable for you, why don't you buy it?
    Especially if you had tried one out before and liked it.

It is the balance and feel of a racket that makes it "fit" you, not the date of the design, or the colour on the frame.

4. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    T200 is very stable racket. A head lighter armortec. Avp definitely faster but less stable. My opinion, both more for intermediate and above player.

5. calyon

calyon Regular Member

none
    Hi Fidget,

I've asked this question as I'm just afraid of getting a racket that has been kept in store for 2-3 years as I heard that production of the racket has already stopped since 2011. Also, if it's an old racket, there might be newer and better ones out there that i'm not aware of.

I've also read reviews from 2011 where people where saying that it's a hard to get racket since it's quite an old model and quite overpriced since they are no longer producing it.

I don't want to buy a racket so expensive that it will break easily coz it has been stored for so long.

That's why I have asked if avp is better or there are better rackets for all rounders.

Note: I play mainly doubles.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

6. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I think the T200 would be a great start, it's stiff so it can provide more power and control. As you get better you tend to prefer stiffer rackets.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

calyon,

I understand what you are saying now.
    You could argue that many of us have rackets in our bags which are two, five or ten years old with no problem. Two year old strings might be a problem though.

As for suggestions, I have tried a Tantrum 200 and an AVP.
    The AVP was flexier and head heavier. Not so much to my taste.
    The Tantrum was better for me, but my favorite APACS is the Slayer 88 (another old model, I'm afraid). A little flexier than T200 and not as head heavy as AVP. Great all-rounder, IMHO.

8. esa490

esa490 Regular Member

It really depends on what you want. The Tantrum 200 should not be hard to acquire now and you can always get the tantrum 300 from APACs Canada now. The tantrum 200 is an extremely solid racket with a very stable frame that is great for a control. The primary complaint that people have with it would be not enough power from the rear court, that claim is pretty true from what I find. The AVP however, is an extremely aerodynamic racket that is very affordable. If you like slightly head heavy mid stiff rackets than the AVP is for you. And even though people say the frame is less stable, that doesnt mean the frame of the AVP is unstable. The reason why the Tantrum 200 is so stable is because the frame is very thick. The AVP however has a very thin frame that is extremely stable for its width and I highly recommend it. I have three AVPs myself and I must say it is a very good racket.

9. calyon

calyon Regular Member

none
    Lol thank you all for your advice :) really appreciate :). Let me explain my situation.
    Actually I'm an advanced or low intermediate player. I'm a girl but I always play against boys, be it doubles men or single men. I have a yonex nanospeed lambda that I've been using for around 2yrs now. After reading lots of racket reviews I have wanted to get a t200 for some time now (although never tried it) but after reading the above posts I'm confused if I really want the t200 or the avp. I've been thinking a lot about after reading your posts and now I'm also wondering if I should get a new racket or not. my husband want me to sell the one I have before buying a new one.
    Do u guys think it's worth for me to get a t200/avp? Or it will not make any difference considering my level. If yes, which one should I get? Or are there better rackets that would suit me better?
    I would really appreciate getting further comments on what I've just written :)
    Thx in advance.

10. esa490

esa490 Regular Member

Both rackets are extremely solid and will work well for you honestly. I think the most important thing is just having good strings, good shoes, and just a decent racket. The AVP does have a significantly long adjustment period due to how fast it swings. And I cannot understate this, this racket swings incredibly fast. Both the AVP and tantrum are extremely solid and affordable and I really doubt that you would be disappointed with either of them (also you really have to give the AVP time to appreciate it and adapt to it).

11. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I totally agree, the AVP rackets do take a few sessions to get used to and appreciate. I can now switch between those and other rackets easily but before I was miss timing and not enjoy lying using AVP rackets at all. The tantrum 200 or 300 would also be very good so I would just see which racket you can get the best deal on at the moment.

12. calyon

calyon Regular Member

none
    Ok.I've made a typo in above post. I meant advanced beginner or low intermediate.

Btw Esa490, you mentioned about good strings. I really don't know much about them nor what tension that I should use. If I buy one of those rackets, what string and what tension would you recommend?

#12 calyon, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  13. esa490

esa490 Regular Member

Tantrum is forgiving but keep in mind that it is stiff so don't use it if you don't have enough wrist strength

14. calyon

calyon Regular Member

none
    Ummm. Ok. Is it more stiff than the avp? Is the avp headlight/ head heavy? U mentioned fast swing, does it affect power of shots? Eg rear shots. *What about*string then on the avp? What string and tension would you recommend?

15. esa490

esa490 Regular Member

Yes the T200 has a stiffer shaft than the AVP. The AVP is slightly head heavy, the swing speed does affect the power of the shots but not by much. Its more about the higher mass in the head that gives more power to your shots. On the AVP I used to use bg65 at 28 lbs which was great, but I just switched to hi-qua b696 because its cheap and I like it better. Strings are a very special thing in badminton, everyone has their own preference, sure there are strings that everyone will say are good, but at the end of te day its the string you choose and the tension you're comfortable with. Since you say you're a low intermediate, I would get bg 65 at 24 lbs, that way you have durability, but still some control. Understand that if your form is off though, the shots will be weaker, but if you have proper form the tighter stringbed will help with proper placement. But also the stringbed isn't too tight so that you won't pop your strings too soon or break your racket off of mishits. You can also use Ashaway Zymax 67 or Victor VS-850, I have never tried these strings, but have heard many good things about them and their durability.

16. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    Get the T200, Caylon! Believe me, you won't regret it. Personally, it's one of the best value-for-money rackets out there. I have known many top "recreational" female players who have stuck to it as their main racket.

The only problem I have with it is the statement on the shaft written with grammatical errors LOL*

17. calyon

calyon Regular Member

none
    Hi all. Thank you all for your advice. Finally I have decided to get the avp instead. It is just the tension of string that I'm still pondering on. I think I'm going to ask the seller to string it to 22lbs considering my level.

18. esa490

esa490 Regular Member

Make sure you use good string.

19. calyon

calyon Regular Member

none
    I'm going to use virtuoso super string as it's the one I'm getting as free gift