Forza Racket Shootout #1

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mater, Aug 14, 2014.

1. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    My first review, a bit of a shootout for Forza rackets. Background for those interested, I'm a recreational/social player, my friends that I play with help give their opinions are also the same, so if anyone is expecting an elite player review...well, you'll have to keep searching. For others, read on.

I have been fortunate enough to have six Forza rackets for testing, provided by Badmintonian.com. The rackets came with overgrips over the base grips, in some cases, the original racket grips themselves are still wrapped. The rackets arrived strung and double gripped so we have no say on particular tension and weight, the results are based on the rackets as they are received.

The way we went through with the rackets were to basically refer to them by their grip color and frame color. We temporary covered the shaft that denote their model numbers/specs. This was actually a very good method when we tested one vs one. So prior to using the rackets, we had no idea of what they were, after we ran through our different tests, we sat down to note and discuss, and afterwards, we reveal the model and see what we just tested.

We tested the rackets in four areas, clearing, smashing, driving, and backhands. We did not go through nets and drops as we did not have the time and felt the first four were plenty.

Listed are model, shaft flex, power, weighed weight, estimated weight w/o over grip, measured Hz for tension. For flex, scale of 1 to 5, higher is more stiff, power, 1 to 10, higher is more power.

The following was in direct order of testing.

-----

FZ Kevlar CNT Power 9.0S (white grip) - Flex4 Power9 98.5g 90.5g 952Hz

Shaft 40T - CNT Reinforced CNT U-HM
    Frame 40T - CNT Reinforced CNT U-HM

This was a very easy to clear racket for us, smashes were on spot, nice steep angles and speed. Driving had no issues with regard to speed and recovery, it was quite easy to ready for the next return. Backhand retrievals were also very very good. The racket had a good balance even with the extra overgrip, I would say it is a little head heavy without the extra grip on.

Forza lists this as a stiff racket for extreme accuracy, perfect balance between power and control, and for the offensive/all around player and I would agree 100%.

-----

Ti-6000 CNT (grey grip) - Flex3 Power7 100.5g 92.5g 1034Hz

Shaft 30T U-HM CNT
    Frame 40T U-HM CNT w/ full TI mesh

After the 9.0S, the Ti-6000 CNT felt like it required more "windup" to generate power and felt more "stiff" but it was really due to it being the opposite. It is more flexible than the 9.0S and it made the smashes, backhands, and clears seem harder when directly compared to the previous racket. Definitely hurt it coming right behind the 9.0S. It didn't feel right for the players that tested it, the general consensus was that it is a better racket for those that like more flex in the shaft.

-----

Ti-10000 CNT (green grip) - Flex4 Power10 101.0g 93.0g 973Hz

Shaft 40T U-HM CNT Graphite
    Frame 40T U-HM CNT w/ full TI mesh

Interestingly, this was tested right after the Ti-6000 so it's the same line. Prior to knowing the model, I felt this felt close to the Ti-6000 above. It was a pleasant surprise to see why once we revealed the model. To a few of us it needed more effort to clear and backhand when compared to the 9.0S, though the smash was good. Driving was good but the 9.0S felt more comfortable.

Forza calls this a rigid racket with 96 hole system that gives 30% more power and is for the offensive player. Even going back and testing this vs the 9.0S and 10.0 below, I still couldn't put this one above those, I'm sure it wasn't the racket, it's just my own limits, I couldn't squeeze out more power that I could quantify, let alone the 30%.

-----

N-Forze 6000 I-Power (grey cloth grip) - Flex3 Power8 96.9g 88.9g 886Hz

Shaft 40T CNT U-HM Graphite
    Frame 40T CNT U-HM Graphite

After the Ti-10000, came a surprisingly good change, the N-Forze 6000 I-Power Extra Light racket. Very surpised by this racket. Unlike the Ti-6000 above which many of us didn't like, especially coming after the 9.0S. This one coming right after the Ti-10000, was liked by many. Very light, quick to maneuver, perfect for doubles play, a weaker or lower level player, or even for tired play. Clearing is more than fair considering the racket, and backhands are especially easy due to the light weight and flex. Not much power for full smashes, though quicker speed helps out in that area. Driving and recovery as you can imagine is what this racket excels in.

Forza calls this a light and extra narrow racket with I-Power shaft for extra power and for all levels. Don't know about the extra power part but I do agree everyone should have a racket like this in their bag. Though I may not bring it out for singles play at full strength, I may if it is at the end of a long tired day.

-----

FZ Kevlar CNT XPower 10.0 (yellow grip) - Flex4 Power10 98.2g 90.2g 940Hz

Shaft 40T U-HM CNT Graphite, Frame 40T CNT Reinforced

After the extra light weight racket, we went on to the Kevlar CNT Xpower 10.0. The 10.0 felt very closely to resemble the 9.0S, basically it does practically everything the 9.0s does, almost felt identical, good for fast play, easy to get ready for the next shot. The aerodynamic frame factors in aiding that, even though it's more of an offensive racket than an defensive racket built on speed. The clears were very easy and the smashes felt very good. Reminding me frequently of the 9.0S.

Forza lists this as an attacking racket for the offensive player in mind. This and the 9.0S were hard to tell apart as I feel they both share so much in "feel". I keep going back between this and the 9.0S trying to see if this bettered the 9.0S but I never could, it's so close for me.

-----

N-Forze 8000 I-Power (grey cloth grip) - Flex4 Power9 95.8g 87.8g 1057Hz

Shaft 40T CNT U-HM Graphite
    Frame 40T CNT U-HM Graphite

This is the last racket we tested. Overall, clears and backhands were ok and the smashes were good, plus it is a relatively fast racket. Unfortunately for the racket, it was beat out by the 9.0S and 10.0. It is the same line as the 6000 I-Power but that racket didn't have to compete vs other rackets, that held it's own due to it's lighter weight for different use on the court. This one was a bit of the middle child in this comparison. If we never touched the other rackets, I would recommend this as an all around and the 6000 I-Power lighter one for doubles/tired play.

Forza calls this a narrow frame and I-Power technology for speed and power.

-----

Having tested all six rackets and even re-evaluating some models vs each other, these are our opinions for them. *Be aware that these are just our impressions and choosing rackets are more a personal "feel" than a direct technical spec.* None of our selections had anything to do with color scheme or the way the rackets look design wise, all purely based on how it felt in our hands and on the court.

Of course with such a list of rackets, it's hard for all to be "winners". I picked some of the ones that I particularly enjoyed testing and asked others to also choose from the list if they were to carry in their own bags.

Not in any order but these came up frequently came up during discussions.

N-Forze 6000 I-Power made the list for mainly doubles play or extra speed for reaction. Personally for me, I always carry a racket like this in my bag. When I play for 3-5 hours, the last hour or so, if I'm drained, this is the racket in my hand. Many commented on the "speed" and ease of play of the racket and because our group play mainly doubles, this is held in high regard.

FZ Kevlar CNT Power 9.0S was a favorite among many. It just had a good "feel" for many of us. Trying all the different rackets, this seem to be the one along with the 10.0, that I keep benchmarking against and others too. As this was tested before the 10.0, I was already partial to it and couldn't find anything in the 10.0 to overthrow it for top pick.

FZ Kevlar CNT XPower 10.0 was also favorite, right up there with the 9.0S. Almost all of us agreed that it was difficult to separate the difference between this and the 9.0S, either racket would have a fine pick as a go to all around racket.

Ti-10000 CNT, this was also one mentioned by others, though not exactly my choice, the 9.0S and 10.0 just felt better in my hand and on the court. The others are just better players than me in our circle and didn't have the same problem I did with the racket. Some of them enjoyed this racket more than the Kevlars. I had the fortune of being able to compare it back and forth, without a direct comparison against the Kevlars, I wouldn't have had any qualms recommending it instead.

Again, I want to thank Badmintonian.com again for providing the rackets for testing. Our group had a lot of fun trying out each and comparing the rackets.

Here again are the details, I measured the weights and also estimated the weights w/o the overgrip (with a default base grip). Hz reading for tension were measured with CarlTuner Android App.

Disclaimer: I was not paid by Badmintonian.com to test these rackets and am not affiliated with Badmintonian.com in any way.

Here are the rackets posing for a picture, left to right.

Ti-6000 CNT (Grey grip) - Flex3 Power7 100.5g 92.5g 1034Hz
    N-Forze 8000 I-Power (Grey cloth grip) - Flex4 Power9 95.8g 87.8g 1057Hz
    FZ Kevlar CNT XPower 10.0 (Yellow grip) - Flex4 Power10 98.2g 90.2g 940Hz
    N-Forze 6000 I-Power (Grey cloth grip) - Flex3 Power8 96.9g 88.9g 886Hz
    Ti-10000 CNT (Green grip) - Flex4 Power10 101.0g 93.0g 973Hz
    FZ Kevlar CNT Power 9.0S (White grip) - Flex4 Power9 98.5g 90.5g 952Hz

Attached Files:

2. visor

visor Regular Member

The 10.0 head shape and cross section looks very familiar ... Having a narrowed top and angular fast frame cross section, reminds me of my RKEP XP70 and the Ashaway XT1000.

Which makes sense since they're made by the same OEM.

#2 visor, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Very well-written review. Thank you mater. :)

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nice. I am still preparing my review. Been out of action for a month.

5. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Uploaded clearer pictures of the rackets in the shootout.

Ti-6000 CNT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

N-Forze 8000 I-Power

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FZ Kevlar CNT XPower 10.0

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

N-Forze 6000 I-Power

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ti-10000 CNT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FZ Kevlar CNT Power 9.0S

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Very cool pictures!

I actually considered the Kevlar line because I'm a singles player. As a big fan of the new 11.000 series, what makes the Kevlar stands out to you?

I find the design much favorable in closeups!

7. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    You know what? Actually knowing very little about the technology and the marketing mumbo jumbo, in the end it's just a "feel" for the racket on the court. For me, the two Kevlar rackets just felt easier to prepare for the shots, execute the shots, and place the shots. Both in while being in position and also being out of position. I hope that makes a little sense. It was unfortunate that I didn't have an 11.000 to test, would have loved to compare one vs the Kevlars.

One day while testing, someone saw my large bag and collection of rackets (these 6 as well as my other 6 that I carried that day). He asked me why so many rackets and I told him I was testing some from my friend. He then asks which is the most expensive and I told him, it really does not matter which is most expensive because it really depends on how a racket "feels" to him. Most expensive isn't always the best one or the right one.

In my testing above, the Kevlars and the Ti-10000 happen to be at the top for pricing but I like the Kevlar's "feel" more than the Ti-10000. Hard to explain fully, the closest I can compare is like shoes and clothing, some just feel more comfortable than others and it's not a matter of which cost more, right?

8. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Hmm... depending on the tension they are currently strung at, you might want to consider lowering the tension on the Ti-10000. I say this because the 96-hole stringing system gives the stringbed the main and cross about 2-3 pounds each additionally. If your tensions on the Kevlar and Ti-10000 are numerically the same, you may get less feeling out of the Ti-10000, but it's just a tip! ;)

I'm a bit surprised at how the Kevlar series is received, especially because I just received notification that one of the Danish doubles players, Skaarup Rasmussen, uses the Kevlar CNT Power 9.0 VS! I was under the impression that Kevlar rackets were pretty much singles rackets.

9. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    From my original observations, the Kevlars and the Ti-10000 are very close in frequency for the stringing.

FZ Kevlar CNT XPower 10.0 - 940Hz
    Ti-10000 CNT - 973Hz
    FZ Kevlar CNT Power 9.0S - 952Hz

I think almost any singles racket can be a doubles racket but not every doubles racket can be a singles racket. If I feel a singles racket is a bit slow and heavy in a fast doubles game, I can grip higher, I lose some extension but gain more playability. On the other hand, a fast doubles racket may still not carry enough "oomph" when gripped at the very bottom by the end to be used in a singles match. It is good to hear that the Danish doubles player chose to stick with the Kevlar line.

10. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Hm.

I wish Forza were more explosive with their Kevlar line painting.

I'm glad you got to really try to top tiers of each line, though. I still have to try out the Kevlar line, but maybe I could try it out if I happen by a tournament sponsored by Forza.

Particularly, though, the widebody frame of the kevlar series might be what makes it so repulsive. Have you gotten to compare the head shapes?

11. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Yes, please let us know what your thoughts are on the Kevlar line once you've tried them.

Honestly, I don't recall the Kevlar series being any more different than others.

I wanted to buy half the rackets here in the Shootout but because I have so many as it is, in the end, I picked up two, both Kevlars. I liked them so much.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

What's the bp of the 9 and 10?

13. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Visor, I haven't measured directly but on the rackets, 9 is 285-295 and 10 is 290-300.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Ah, Ok tks...

15. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

you should measure them because my old ti 500 (ti 8000 or ti 11000 F equivalent, but without carbon nanotubes) is supposed to have a head light balance, written at 285mm. Mine has a wet bp of 298mm! (strings, original grip + overgrip)