Pinetree Community Center

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by cappy75, Mar 25, 2004.

1. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Just went up to Pinetree up in Coquitlam tonight... almost got lost, but luckily checked the map more carefully and found my way. Took about 30mins or more to get back home (near Metrotown) from Pinetree.

Direction: From Vancouver/Burnaby, go along Lougheed Hwy (Eastbound) straight up to Pinetree Way. The community center is just next door to Douglas College after Guildford Way along Pinetree Way (leftside of the road heading north).

Gym Condition: 9 courts open when I was there, but not usually the case. Hardwood flooring, lighting is very good, and ceiling height is high.

Schedule: Tuesday and Thursday nights from 8pm-10pm.

Competition level: Not sure.

Perhaps, JChen99 and others might wanna fill in on the details:).

#1 cappy75, Mar 25, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  2. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Thank you cappy75, I guess that's my cue! LOL :D

The drop-in is actually ran by Douglas College as a fundraising event for the team :p

Usually there is only 6 courts, but sometimes we get 12-18 instead of 6. However, since our season is over, sometimes we'll use the drop-in times to practice. In which case we take up 1-2 courts. But I doubt that's gonn happen in the near future.

Competition Level there varies from night to night, but usually there is a good mix of beginners to intermediate to club players to more advanced level players. Tonight there were a few good players but not enough to fill 2 courts, so sometimes they keep to themselves unfortunately. I tend to mingle wif most of the crowd but sometimes if a few of my friends go we'll keep to ourselves too :rolleyes:

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey JChen99,

Thanks for the headup! It's great meeting you at Pinetree tonight. Too bad I didn't bring my gear so couldn't partake in the joy of baddy there. Due to its distance from my home, I might not drop-in there regularly but I would definitely visit there sometime now that I know where it is and what's it like.

4. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Is PineTree open to drop-ins? For some reason, I am always under the impression that it is a semi-private type of place.

Oh, and cappy, care to lemme know next time when you're planning to go PineTree again?

-Rick

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey Rick,

Definitely, if you don't mind, could you pm me your contact info? I will drop-in at Cameron tomorrow (Friday @8pm-10pm), please join me if you could:)!

6. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    There is a club that runs there sunday nights. And from what I know they are private. They take up 12 courts, so that still leaves 6 for drop in. But drop-ins from friday to sunday is all managed by Pinetree Community Center, so it costs about 5 bucks to get in. The ones on tuesdays n thursdays r only 3.50.

7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Cappy, it's actually 8:30ish-10:30ish but me n my friends will b there early :p
    Anyway, see you tomolo :)

8. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Wish I could join you tomorrow, you know? However, work is piling up big time and the stack is taller than my head. I haven't touched my racquet since Saturday!!! :(

Surfing on BF is my only substitute to playing for now... :(

-Rick

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey Rick,

Damn! By all means, give me a call when you're up for a game. Hope things get better for you soon.

10. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

TWELVE TO EIGHTEEN COURTS!!!

Do they rent fold-up cots by the month? Maybe I can start living there! All I need is to rent some floor space about the size of the dbls service box and I AM IN HEAVEN! :D

Is this place like a sports stadium?

11. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    BMS, regularly there's only 6 courts on tuesday/thursday nights, but from now til next septermber we should get more than 6 courts usually.
    The complex is 3 fullsized gyms built together, so there can be 3 full sized basketball games going at the same time, or for us badders, 18 courts. I think the facility is jointly built by Cit of Coquitlam, Pinetree Secondary and Douglas College, that's why it's so big (if it's not the case... the... i dunno... Pinetree's rich? :p) As for costs, I do not know how it works, so... dont ask me :p

12. TTT

TTT Regular Member

I live 5 mins from Metro....A faster way to get to pinetree is to go on #1 Highway and then take the exit right before the patullo bridge to get on Lougheed. This will take 20 mins.

I haven't been to that community center for a long time....the last time I remember going there was like buying the mp55 of you JChen99.

13. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Re: Re: Pinetree Community Center

That indeed is a much faster route, but I guess from where I live I dont have to bother with travelling on HWYs ;)
    As for the MP55... how's it workin for you TTT? :)

14. Break-My-String

How's the acoustics? I find bouncing B-balls & badminton do not mix very well!

15. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Occasionally you'll get other birds flying into your court due to either mis-hits or return off a hard smash... or even rackets flying into the court (I've only seen that once outta the yr I've been there) or even someone diving onto the ground and sliding into the neighbouring court, but these are prolly the only things that may ever come flying (or sliding) into the court :)
    aka. it's just pure badminton :D

16. Break-My-String

Sorry JChen99,

Let me clarify my question. In some centres, a semi-solid wall or a mesh may seperate two sport activities. Because of the low density of the seperating material, the sound of the bouncing basketballs can be quite loud and can actually distract your game because you're also concentration on the sound of the shuttle being hit. So, how is the acoustics at Pinetree?

17. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    oooooooo... in that case, the birdies being hit in the next court would probably annoy you more than the basketball/volleyball being played in the adjacent gym.
    From what I recall, you can barely hear the basketball unless you're playing at the court closest to the next gym. But even then, it's probably not as loud as me on the next court shouting "yeah!" after winning a long ralley :p

18. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    Competition at PT is picking up cause all the good players are moving there for the summer (other drop-ins closing..namely..the elite Scott Creek Thursday Drop-In)

so..if you want good playing, go to PT