Dealing with diagonal drop shot.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Truck, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Truck

Truck Regular Member

I still remember the day when the opponent doing her diagonal drop shot. The bird is like rolling on the top of the net and fell into my side. Oh yes, it is a very diagonal but smooth.

A diagonal drop shot require more skills because you kind of hit the bird in a slice or chop motion at around 55 degree of angle. I found that sometimes a diagonal drop shot flying so close diagonally accross the net is impossible to hit unless you decided to touch the net.

Everyone knows the rule, that is, the racquet cannot touch the net but the bird can.

How to counter-attack this strategy?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Are you referring to the situation when the opponent is at the back of the court doing an overhead stroke to play a diagonal drop shot?

Or are you referring to a cross court netshot?

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    First you must acknowledge that some shots are unreturnable.

Secondly, in order to return the diagonal or cross net drops, you must be quick enough to anticipate and hit the bird just before it crosses over your side. This means striking the bird at the highest possible level without hitting the net. The pros would just use the 'brush' technique (moving the racquet face sideways and gripping the racket higherfor bette control) to attack the bird. This quick but light action attempts to get the bird over the net.

Depending on the height of the cross drop from your opponent, if it should be just slightly higher than the net, it is still possible to brush it across and the bird could fall in a downward attacking direction. otherwise, the bird could be shot back on a parallel flight.

In doing such returns close to the net, it is OK to have the racket cross over to your opponent's side as a follow through action, but it should not touch the net unless your return shot has hit your opponent or his equipment or the floor first before you touch the net.

4. Truck

Truck Regular Member

I am refering cross court drop shot.

5. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    agree totally with loh's comments - this is the best way - but ther is another - allow the shuttle to drop below the lowest point of the net - and then play a drop either straight or back cross court - both are difficult shots - but it played well will put ur opponent on the backfoot...

hope this helps..

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Am I the only one having a problem here? My interpretation of drop shot is from an overhead shot. Loh and Coops have answered referring to a cross court netshot.

7. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    Hi Cheung,
    Although I can understand why you might be confused, I'm fairly sure that "Truck" is referring to an overhead cut. At least that is my interpretatin of "you kind of hit the bird in a slice or chop motion at around 55 degree of angle". Truck, I suggest that you try to prepare for this shot as quickly as possible, as the quicker you notice that this is not a straight smash, drop or reverse cut, the more easily will you will be able to play a netshot to the opposite corner.

8. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    I find myself doing this shot a lot. I like to let the shuttle drop low and sort of cut underneath it as I lunge on my right foot. When it goes to the backhand as a cross court drop, my return tumbles nicely. It must be that the shuttle has more chance of interacting with the net chord when it tumbles, but it just creeps over (I like) - more so than when I meet the shuttle directly with the racquet. Does anyone else find that this is the case?

BTW Neil, are you in the Blackpool and District league? If so what division? I'm looking for a coach in the area; you know of any?

Aleik

9. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    B&DBA

Hi Aleik - yeah i'm in division 2 of Blackpool and District League - i've PM'd you with more details..

Neil