User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ReVoLuTiOn44
    Why are there so amny blank pictures in the end???
    The bandwidth has been used up, so the pictures were not able to shown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    I've created a guide to the main badminton grips, with photos to illustrate:

http://www.snarkpit.com/pits/gollum/baddy/Grips.html

Let me know what you think!
    Great tnx for the photos. I could use these for my resources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually I use Pan grip as forehand grip, because I don't know how to swing it, forehand grip is like we're holding an axe, isn't it? If we're using Axe wi swing it from behind to front so it can cut things, but how in forehand grip? do we swing it from behind to the front, if we do it the side of the frame will hit the shuttle instead of the string, isn't it? can you help me about how to swing the forehand grip?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the site does not work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

too many ppl using the site... do u have any mirror?... cause the bandwidth is proven not enough

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i have made Gollum's grip guide into an article in the BC frontpage. you can access the guide here:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badm...nt/view/81/26/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Kwun This new version of the guide also has some discussion about grips that I hope will be useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    Gollum, that's very nice indeed! Such interesting photos

My panhandle for net kills is this one
    In this version of the panhandle grip, the thumb is placed along the side of the handle. This inhibits the wrist movement more than the standard panhandle grip, which may help to improve recovery on net kills.

Couple of areas that struck me intially:

1) I notice there is towelling grip. Makes things a little less intuitive on where to place the thumb for those who would not normally have such large handle sizes. I do note you put the face of the racquet there as a reference.

2) I got a little confused at the panhandle grips initially. Maybe because the photo is taken with the wrist in neutral/slight flexion position. How about in slight extension? would it make things clearer.
    Yes, I'd have to agree with Cheung. Good job with the photos but the towel grip does make it less clear than if the grip bevels were visible.

I also noticed 2 or 3 photo sequences where the wrist appears to be curled (wrist extension?) quite a bit in 1 view but not the others. Was this intentional? If so, why?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregr999
    Yes, I'd have to agree with Cheung. Good job with the photos but the towel grip does make it less clear than if the grip bevels were visible.

I also noticed 2 or 3 photo sequences where the wrist appears to be curled (wrist extension?) quite a bit in 1 view but not the others. Was this intentional? If so, why?
    As I explain in the text, the wrist curl is unintentional. However, since several people has asked about this, it is clearly causing some confusion. Perhaps I will replace the photos at some point such that:

1. They are taken in a more natural position (i.e. I will get someone else to help me, so that I don't have to contort myself).

2. I use a racket without extra overgrip, so that the bevels are visible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by overhead_rhythm
    Usually I use Pan grip as forehand grip, because I don't know how to swing it, forehand grip is like we're holding an axe, isn't it? If we're using Axe wi swing it from behind to front so it can cut things, but how in forehand grip? do we swing it from behind to the front, if we do it the side of the frame will hit the shuttle instead of the string, isn't it? can you help me about how to swing the forehand grip?
    I'm no expert, but the reason why the forehand grip feels like holding an axe
    to you is that your body is facing the net when you are hitting the forehand.
    Ideally, you should be facing the net side on, with your head turned left (if you are right handed) to face the net. It's a bit like being on a skatebord, looking and moving forwards, but standing sideways. If you hit the shuttle standing sideways, your racket face should be facing in the correct direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=rtp12you should be facing the net side on, with your head turned left (if you are right handed) to face the net.[/QUOTE]
    errrr, no

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you do an overhead forehand (say, a clear) with the correct forehand grip, then you will swing the racket towards the shuttle as if you were going to hit it with the side of the frame.

But during the swing, you pronate your forearm (rotate it inwards) so that the racket strings will hit the shuttle straight. This movement creates lots of power.

After contact with the shuttle, the forearm will continue to pronate. At the end of your stroke motion, your racket should be facing out to the right.

So this is the movement:

• Start of swing: racket facing in to the left
    • Hitting the shuttle: racket facing forwards
    • End of stroke: racket facing out to the right

It is a smooth movement, but with sudden acceleration as you are about to hit the shuttle.

The movement may be likened to throwing a ball. Try throwing a shuttle from the baseline across the net, then use the same motion for your clears. Just don't let go of the racket
    Last edited by Gollum; 12-08-2005 at 03:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

weird...when i click it my browser says that "This IP has been banned"...huh

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aquaboi
    weird...when i click it my browser says that "This IP has been banned"...huh
    Don't forget that the grips guide is now hosted by Badminton Central, thanks to Kwun's kind patronage

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badm...nt/view/81/35/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I look at the figures in page 3 of Gollum's article (the forehand grips), i notice the index finger is placed quite low (close to the hand). Do you think it's better (or at least more universal) to stretch the index finger a little bit in the forehand grip? IMO, that would make manoeuvring of the racket easier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    When you do an overhead forehand (say, a clear) with the correct forehand grip, then you will swing the racket towards the shuttle as if you were going to hit it with the side of the frame.

But during the swing, you pronate your forearm (rotate it inwards) so that the racket strings will hit the shuttle straight. This movement creates lots of power.

After contact with the shuttle, the forearm will continue to pronate. At the end of your stroke motion, your racket should be facing out to the right.

So this is the movement:
    • Start of swing: racket facing in to the left
    • Hitting the shuttle: racket facing forwards
    • End of stroke: racket facing out to the right

It is a smooth movement, but with sudden acceleration as you are about to hit the shuttle.

The movement may be likened to throwing a ball. Try throwing a shuttle from the baseline across the net, then use the same motion for your clears. Just don't let go of the racket
    by the end of the clears stroke, should the racket be to the left or to the right side of you?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbella122
    by the end of the clears stroke, should the racket be to the left or to the right side of you?
    It varies.

Normally, the follow-after movement will be initially in the direction of the smash and then across the body (right to left, for right handers).

But if the follow-after is immediately across the body, the accuracy of the smash will decrease.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast