Grips photo-guide

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Gollum, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

greats site. But i don't think too many people uses the sort-panhandle grip. :p How about the "finger touch" net shot grip? It's somewhat similar to the short-panhandle grip in hand position but uses fingers and further back.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'm not familiar with that grip; maybe you can post a photo so I can see the difference (?)

The short panhandle, like all the other grips, is held loosely in the fingers. I use this grip for most attacking net play in doubles, switching to a long forehand or backhand grip for lifts or netshots that are too low to hit down.

#3 Gollum, Mar 26, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2004
  4. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    Oh my god! I just realised I've been using the panhandle grip ever since I started to play!!!(2 years now)

btw, the pics are very helpful...great for beginners

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Excellent, well done!

We should get plain white business cards done with that URL on it and give them out at coaching sessions.

6. Tide123

Tide123 Regular Member

Hm..

great site, thanks a bunch. it helps a lot. i noticed that i've been holding my racquet just like the "Panhandle grip - variation" style. is that a bad thing? that's my usual forearm instead of having my thumb wrapped around the handle. i find it very uncomfortable to have my thumb wrapped around the handle. could this become a problem later on? thanks a bunch you guys..

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Gollum, that's very nice indeed! Such interesting photos

My panhandle for net kills is this one
    In this version of the panhandle grip, the thumb is placed along the side of the handle. This inhibits the wrist movement more than the standard panhandle grip, which may help to improve recovery on net kills.:cool:

Couple of areas that struck me intially:

1) I notice there is towelling grip. Makes things a little less intuitive on where to place the thumb for those who would not normally have such large handle sizes. I do note you put the face of the racquet there as a reference.

2) I got a little confused at the panhandle grips initially. Maybe because the photo is taken with the wrist in neutral/slight flexion position. How about in slight extension? would it make things clearer.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey Gollum,

Kudos on the great job you did on that site! I think that's the first time I come across a website that focuse mainly on grip techniques specifically.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Good points everyone, thanks for the feedback!

With regard to the "short panhandle" grips, I think perhaps the grips are illustrated too tightly. Since I've never instructed anyone on these grips - unlike the forehand/backhand - I'm not so aware of precisely how I hold the racket.

I agree that having a large racket handle with no visible bevels makes it harder to tell where to place one's fingers. I don't think the towelling grip itself makes a difference, only the overall size of the grip. However, I think it is very important that players use a grip that is large enough for their hands - otherwise they will clench the racket. It would be a bad example if I used a racket several sizes too small. Unfortunately I don't have any rackets with a large enough handle :( I wish I had smaller hands :D

Taking panhandle photos with the wrist drawn back - as if reaching towards a netshot - is a good idea. Some of those photos from the side look a bit odd because of the position in which I've taken them. /me learns contortionism or gets someone else to hold the camera.

BTW I use the "thumb along side" panhandle grip too.

Tide123 holding the racket in that panhandle grip will reduce the power, control and fluency of your shots, especially in the rearcourt (overhead backhands excepted). The sooner you can learn a proper basic forehand grip, the better.

10. DUCKY

DUCKY Regular Member

:) Thanks for the info. I was just about to find out my grip patten is right or wrong. that a great link

11. hasrul

hasrul Regular Member

Executive
    It seems that I couldn't go thru this link. Anyone got any replacement? It mentioned that the page could not be displayed. ANyone can confirmed on the status of this link whether it is still active?:(

12. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

link and site work OK for me still

13. badmad

badmad Regular Member

good job Gollum... it's a really nice piece of work.
    these days, I am too working to make a site of my own... under baddi section, i must put a link to this one... if u don't mind... :D

14. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

Looks terrific.

Maybe under multipurpose/universal grip add a line saying "Some believe this is more effective than the traditional backhand grip for most backhand shots" ?

15. other

other Regular Member

Student
    lol.....bandwidth exceeded.....too many links to your site? :D

16. ahtan

ahtan Regular Member

Employee

Same here !!???

17. ReVoLuTiOn44

ReVoLuTiOn44 Regular Member

Student
  18. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    The bandwidth has been used up, so the pictures were not able to shown.

19. arkivolts

arkivolts New Member

20. overhead_rhythm

overhead_rhythm Regular Member

Usually I use Pan grip as forehand grip, because I don't know how to swing it, forehand grip is like we're holding an axe, isn't it? If we're using Axe wi swing it from behind to front so it can cut things, but how in forehand grip? do we swing it from behind to the front, if we do it the side of the frame will hit the shuttle instead of the string, isn't it? can you help me about how to swing the forehand grip?