new LJB youtube vid on timing of split step

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by amleto, Aug 21, 2014.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I wonder what your opinions are on this. I personally think it depends on what kind of split step you do and perhaps even disagree with him on all accounts. Before giving my reasons I'm interested to hear what others have to say!

[video=youtube;wlU4EIYl3oc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlU4EIYl3oc[/video]

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

The only reason you make a split step is so you can use the landing to propel you towards the direction you want to go and therefore attain a much greater speed than from a stand still start. If you land your split step before the opponent hits then you render the split step useless because you don't know which way to go. (unless you are playing someone rubbish and can anticipate every shot correctly)
    The problem with doing it any other way is if I see you trying to get a head start on your split step I can just hold the shuttle until after you land or check my smash, delay clear etc and you'll be struggling.
    Although, If you are sure of the shot going to be played by all means get a head start. In summary what LJB said:D

3. visor

visor Regular Member

He does have a disclaimer at the end stating that you can have a head start on the split step only if your opponent is under severe pressure and you can narrow his shot return to only one possibility.

Otherwise if you don't know which possible return, then the earliest you can split step is at the time your opponent hits.

Of course this can be moved ahead slightly against weaker players who are easy to read, and must even be delayed slightly against advanced deceptive players who like using double action.

#3 visor, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The first thing I would like to say is that, whilst Lee has produced a new video, what he is teaching is the same thing he has always taught. I personally agree with Lees teachings on split step - crucially you need to land the split step AFTER you see where the shuttle is going. An easy way to do this is to initiate the split step momentarily after your opponent hits the shuttle, however as others have said it depends on how you like to do your split step.

Some people do a large jump - those will need to initiate their split before their opponent hits the shot. Others like to make a small split step, they can afford to initiate the split after their opponent strikes the shuttle. Ratchanok inthanon has lovely footwork, and uses a very small but relatively late split step - which is why her movement appears effortless as she never has to change direction suddenly.

If you watch slow motion videos of professionals playing, you will notice, with players like LCW, that in some cases when defending a smash or drop, the player LANDS their split as their opponents shot passes the net - massively late! And yet these are the great movers/defenders!

I like what visor has said in this quote - against very deceptive players, you really must not perform your split before they hit the shuttle - you will not be able to get there otherwise.

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I will chime in with my 2p. The important thing is to have your muscles loaded after the hit. This means you may need to start the split jump at contact or even before contact depending on how long it takes for you to drop and load your muscles.

Split step & timing is something that I've had difficulties with so I have spent a fair amount of time on youtube looking at frame-by-frame timing! :eek: I seemt o remember that the pros tend to be in the air when the other guy hits.

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

You are totally right the important thing is to have your muscles loaded after the hit and direction is established. Therefore if you go early, any hold or delay and you have landed too early.
    There are times when you may choose to risk it, both when you are under severe pressure or you put your opponent under severe preassure but you are open to your split being counter productive.

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

As Matt said, this isn't really anything new.

I would say Lee is giving good advice. It's important that you don't complete the split step too early, or you'll just have to do it again, later!

Do note that the exercise he shows is not good timing. That's not what it's intended to show. It is merely an exaggerated training exercise to help adjust the timing of a player who is splitting too early. It's what I call an awareness exercise.