User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 21
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Throwing your racket

    If the shuttle is hit by a throw when it is on in our side of court and lands on the opponents court, does it count...

    Example:

    player A hits a dropshot that will land near the net on player's B court. Player B who is far from the net than throws his racket, hits the shuttle, and the shuttle goes over to player's A court.

    Is that a point...
    Is the trajectory of the racket thrown considered as a stroke so if player A tries to intercept the shuttle and then is hit by the raqcket thrown it is counted as an obstruction...

  2. #2
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,857
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Haha,

    Well this is the definition of a stroke according to BWF,

    Stroke A movement of the player’s racket with an intention to hit the shuttle.

    and the rules regarding this example

    13.4.2 invades an opponent’s court over the net with racket or person except that the striker
    may follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke after the
    initial point of contact with the shuttle is on the striker’s side of the net;

    13.4.3 invades an opponent’s court under the net with racket or person such that an opponent is
    obstructed or distracted;

    So I suppose there is still movement of the players racket with intention to hit as it is hurling through the air, so it is still during the course of a stroke. If not obstructing or distracting why not.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Haha,

    Well this is the definition of a stroke according to BWF,

    Stroke A movement of the player’s racket with an intention to hit the shuttle.

    and the rules regarding this example

    13.4.2 invades an opponent’s court over the net with racket or person except that the striker
    may follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke after the
    initial point of contact with the shuttle is on the striker’s side of the net;

    13.4.3 invades an opponent’s court under the net with racket or person such that an opponent is
    obstructed or distracted;

    So I suppose there is still movement of the players racket with intention to hit as it is hurling through the air, so it is still during the course of a stroke. If not obstructing or distracting why not.
    This is my thinking
    1.when Player B throw the racket, the trajectory untill the racket stops is a stroke.
    2. The shuttle that is then hit by the racket thrown, goes over the net (it can be a point if it lands to the ground)
    3. The racket thrown which goes over the net after it hit's the shuttle is still considered a stroke
    4 . A stroke cannot be obstructed, so if player A tries to hit the shuttle that goes over and then hit the racket thrown, it's a fault, the point still goes to player B

    what do you think...

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,991
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is this a technique that you are planning to use often?

    (throwing star badminton?)

  5. #5
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,141
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lol... I've tried this a few times myself out of desperation... and it has never worked once. Neither have I seen it work in all the online videos of pro matches I've seen.

  6. #6
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,857
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by opikbidin View Post
    This is my thinking
    1.when Player B throw the racket, the trajectory untill the racket stops is a stroke.
    2. The shuttle that is then hit by the racket thrown, goes over the net (it can be a point if it lands to the ground)
    3. The racket thrown which goes over the net after it hit's the shuttle is still considered a stroke
    4 . A stroke cannot be obstructed, so if player A tries to hit the shuttle that goes over and then hit the racket thrown, it's a fault, the point still goes to player B

    what do you think...
    Lol, I think... if you tried to call this on a club night you would get lynched!

    Point number 4 is interesting, I have raised that before under a different circumstance, when does it switch to being an obstruction to the other side with regards to the allowed follow through? follow through is not defined in the rules, so I am unaware how long that can last before the rules go in favour of the other side. Under a certain circumstance there is a chance where both side will be in fault of the obstruction rule equally.
    Anyways I think you are right to say what you say, but obviously it is not the spirit of the rule and I suppose the umpire could call let for unforeseen situation

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,099
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Lol, I think... if you tried to call this on a club night you would get lynched!

    Point number 4 is interesting, I have raised that before under a different circumstance, when does it switch to being an obstruction to the other side with regards to the allowed follow through? follow through is not defined in the rules, so I am unaware how long that can last before the rules go in favour of the other side. Under a certain circumstance there is a chance where both side will be in fault of the obstruction rule equally.
    Anyways I think you are right to say what you say, but obviously it is not the spirit of the rule and I suppose the umpire could call let for unforeseen situation
    discussed ad nauseam here
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...block-net-kill

  8. #8
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,857
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    No, that is not the discussion I am referring to and it has no relevance to what I am saying above.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,099
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You're talking about follow through. So is that thread...

  10. #10
    Regular Member speedyJT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    647
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd guess if you throw the racket near the net, the racket would touch the net and this is as far as I know an error, isn't it?

    Otherwise, if the racket would not touch the net, it would land on the opponent court side and, I don't know the exact rule but, this should be another error, or not?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    TS
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Haha,

    Well this is the definition of a stroke according to BWF,

    Stroke A movement of the player’s racket with an intention to hit the shuttle.

    and the rules regarding this example

    13.4.2 invades an opponent’s court over the net with racket or person except that the striker
    may follow the shuttle over the net with the racket
    in the course of a stroke after the
    initial point of contact with the shuttle is on the striker’s side of the net;

    13.4.3 invades an opponent’s court under the net with racket or person such that an opponent is
    obstructed or distracted;

    So I suppose there is still movement of the players racket with intention to hit as it is hurling through the air, so it is still during the course of a stroke. If not obstructing or distracting why not.
    Clearly the striker needs to be there with the racquet for the stroke to be legal.

  12. #12
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,857
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOLE.LUCKY View Post
    Clearly the striker needs to be there with the racquet for the stroke to be legal.
    So do you think a stroke is not legal unless you hold onto the racket?
    Forget about crossing the net for a minute and just think about throwing your racket at the shuttle and the shuttle goes over. Or are you saying you interpret the highlighted as, together with the racket?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOLE.LUCKY View Post
    Clearly the striker needs to be there with the racquet for the stroke to be legal.
    I rarely see the striker hand go over the net, only the racket.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    TS
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    So do you think a stroke is not legal unless you hold onto the racket?
    Forget about crossing the net for a minute and just think about throwing your racket at the shuttle and the shuttle goes over. Or are you saying you interpret the highlighted as, together with the racket?
    Sorry i should've been clear. I was alluding to the case when the air borne racquet crosses the net. In case the racquet crosses the net during the follow through, the stroke should be legal only if it is held by the striker, is what I think.
    The other case where a player throws the racquet to the other side, intentionally or unintentionally, should be considered a distraction.
    Last edited by NOLE.LUCKY; 08-31-2014 at 02:33 AM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member DuckFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    755
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Didn't @trihnity throw a racquet in his latest video in the "post videos of yourself" thread? It was a spin/juggling style such that he caught it. Man I wish that had connected.

    I suspect its not the first time he's done that so what was the call if its ever worked?

  16. #16
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,857
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuckFeet View Post
    Didn't @trihnity throw a racquet in his latest video in the "post videos of yourself" thread? It was a spin/juggling style such that he caught it. Man I wish that had connected.

    I suspect its not the first time he's done that so what was the call if its ever worked?
    There is nothing in the rules to say you can't throw your racket or that you have to be holding the racket during contact. So don't see why or how it could be called a fault.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    TS
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is also no mention of whether or not throwing stones at your opponent is legal, in the rules. Doesn't mean you can.
    You can and should throw the racquet if it helps your cause, as long as it doesn't cross the net and potentially hit your opponent on the head.
    Last edited by NOLE.LUCKY; 08-31-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •