How much string tension on an AVP for beginner-intermediate player

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by calyon, Aug 22, 2014.

1. calyon

calyon Regular Member

none
    Hi,

I'm a girl who has been playing for around 2-3yrs now. I play around 2hrs per week against men be it double men or single men. I think i'm between beginner and intermediate or low intermediate as I can kinda clear from baseline to almost other baseline. I play mainly with plastic shuttlecocks but sometimes with feather too.

I've been using a yonex nanospeed lambda since i started playing and i never changed strings. I don't even know at what tension i'm currently playing.

I'm currently in the process of buying an AVP but the seller is asking how much tension do I want. Could you please advise on what tension i should put considering that i'm getting a virtuoso super string (made in JP).

I've read some posts that ideal tension is 23lbs.. I don't know if it is true or not.
    Should I put it at 24lbs? as it will loosen after some time?

I really need some quick answer as the seller is waiting for my reply.

2. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

The higher your tension goes, the harder it will be to clear from baseline to baseline. I think the factory tension might be 18, so you might want to try something like 21 so you can improve your form.

3. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I think that's too low for factory but can be the tension that has been used over time, I suggest 23 lbs as she suggest above.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That statement, plus the fact that your strings are at least a few years old, likely means that your current strings are sub-20lbs. IMHO, 23-24 is too much of a jump. You might be very disappointed in your power if your strings are much tighter than what you are used to. I would suggest 22lb (a happy medium) :)

5. calyon

calyon Regular Member

none
    Umm 21, 22, 23... as suggested above. .. does +-1lb make any diff?

6. Gary Lim

Gary Lim Regular Member

I'm only returning to playing badminton after stopping for about 8 years and it was another 15 years prior to that.

I bought a new racket and strung this + my old rackets to 22lbs as well. I'd agree with Fidget that 22 seems like a good middle ground for getting back.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

One pound isn't much different. But 2lb is significant in feel.

But you are going from your current 3 year old strings --which are quite possibly at 18 lb by now. So there is quite a difference going from 18 -->21 and 18-->24.

On the other hand, whatever you finally choose, you will adapt to it. Don't take anything we say here too seriously. Advice is meant to be either taken to heart or tossed in the rubbish bin. :) Best of luck.

PS Rackets must be expensive in Mauritius, no?