Frequent broken strings.....help

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Cricket, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Cricket

Cricket Regular Member

I have a 3U Ti-10 and recently, my strings have been breaking a bit too often. They usually break on mishits and I can understand that but the most recent one is unexplainable.

It happened between rallies and I tapped my leg with the racquet and heard a snap. I looked at my racquet and my strings broke!!!! :mad:The only explanation I have for this at this moment is bad grommets, but the grommets were fine.....at least they looked fine. The knot didn't come loose either.

Does anybody with a 3U TI-10 experience this type of problems as well as frequent broken strings???

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    What kind of strings you use and what tension ?

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Were all your stringing work strung by the same stringer? If the grommets were fine, then the string could have had a tiny tear before.

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    You mean like a sharp edge on the stringing machine nicking the strings a bit? Interesting ... or hand pull with pliers and vise :D

-dave

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Could be a few things

Strings could be too tight and tense
    Strings could be a very narrow gauge
    You slice too much
    You have a very powerfull shot
    String job could be bad(I don't think so because it has occured multiple times)
    You might have the worst luck on court ever :D

6. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    How hard did you tapped your racquet? Like other said, could be string tension and string gauge^^

7. Cricket

Cricket Regular Member

Oh, sorry about that, forgot to post the strings and tension I was using. I had BG66 at 22.5 lbs. I didn't tap my leg too hard, just a light tap to keep myself alert in the rally. Yes, my stringing is all done by the same person and I don't think it's the stringer's/stringing machine's fault because none of this has happened with the rest of the racquets he's strung before.

8. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    AHhhH BG-66 is not really for the durability side. It is very Fragile and lots of peole even those who doesnt smash often easily brake them.

Try to change string. Check out for BG-80/85^^

9. haven

haven Regular Member

Badminton Addict
    I agree...

BG66's durability is really quite bad, expecially if u are a
    hard-hitting player :eek: It feels really nice tho :)

I've tried it twice already, and it's not lasted me more
    than a week :p I've gone abck to BG65 since :D

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    oh, BG66, that's typical I would say.
    Once your hits are off the center, BG66 would break very very fast, not to mention if you have any other issues with frame/grommets.

Try something thicker, like BG65, should give you better durability than BG66.

11. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I've learned my lesson not to use strings that have too thin a guage. BG-66 has great feel, but its durability really sucks. I know people who broke the string within the first couple of hits after they got the racquet restrung. Same thing with Gosen's Alan & Susi Special. Awesome feel from the string, but boy... it's just so easy to snap it.

-Rick

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. it is definitely the string. i have broken bg66 within the first rally it is unreal how fragile it can be.

13. Traum

Traum Regular Member

BTW, if you prefer thin guaged strings, but want to maintain at least some durability, give Yonex BG80 and Gosen BioGut BioRoots 68 a try. Both are rated at 22GA / 0.68mm, and both have awesome feel. (Although my personal bias is towards BioRoots 68 since I find that it is a bit softer, but just as powerful.)

-Rick

14. Cricket

Cricket Regular Member

I'm anxious to try BG-68Ti or Gosen Bioroots 70..... but I also had sort of the same problem with BG-80, with a few off-center hits the strings would just break. All I know is....I'm not going back to BG-65. This racquet came with BG-65 and the feel was just......dead. Didn't feel right. Plus, the factory stringer messed up I think, since one of the grommets was sticking out and the string was rubbing against the frame. Good thing I cut it out after a few hours of playing :p

15. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Find a good stringer is a more important issue.

BG65 is a good string, the factory stringing was probably good enough to release its protential and I really think you should give it another try.

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Well, it could happen if the stringer has been using the awl too hard to stuff in two strings in one hole. Or the string has a slight knit while the racquet's being strung. Or even a rare bad batch of strings could ruin anybody's day.

Cricket, perhaps it would give us more clarity if you describe your baddy background. How often do you play and at what level? BG66 is definitely a thin and fragile string. To a certain extent, humidity level would also affect the durability of the string as well. Where's Sacto (Is it short for Sacramento)? Also, where did the break occur?

As for BG80, it's been going well for me so far... although I find that it shifts easily after a few hard shots.

17. Cricket

Cricket Regular Member

Ok, my baddy background.....
    I began playing like....4 years ago or so, I don't quite remember very well, I play about 3 times a week for 2 ~ 4 hrs, uh.... what else do you want to know? I'm like C/D player, or intermediate/beginner......uh......I have frequent aknle injuries but that's not relevant I think, I used to mishit a lot when I first got my Ti-10 but I'm getting more consistent at hitting the sweet spot now, I prefer high repulsion strings, like BG-66......
    Maybe I will try BG-65, cheaper alternative than other strings ^_^
    So I take it that there is no characteristic of a 3U TI-10 to cause these frequent broken strings?

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Several members using Ti-10 (2u and 3u) in my local clubs. None of them complained string broke more often. However, ppl using BG66 really have to re-string their rackets very often. The longest BG66 I saw, was just about 2+ weeks.

Maybe give BG80/85 a try, as they did last longer, and also thin. However, they are a little bit more expensive as well, at least as in US.

19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey Cricket,

Wow! Same here! Just started playing regularly 4 years ago too:). I try to maintain a minimum of 3 nights weekly. Anyway, back to the strings... yeah, BG 66 is very frigile and probably more expensive in the long run than other higher priced strings. Search the forum for feedbacks and you'll know why.

I suggest that you stick with BG 65 for now until your strokes get alot better. What tension setting do you have on your racquet? For beginner/low intermediate, a good tension would be 19-21lbs.

As for characteristics causing frequent string breakage, there's not alot of difference among baddy racquets. However, it's a different story with player calibre...;). If the break occurs in the sweetspot, then it's the string. Otherwise, it's a mishit when the string break nearer to the frame.

20. Cricket

Cricket Regular Member

I string at 22.5 lbs.....yea, it's weird, I know, I do that to compensate for the lack of muscle power grommets like in my MP55. The first time I tried my Ti-10 with BG-66 it lost tension really quickly (it lasted me 3 weeks or so) and near the end of that third week the strings were just horrible. But, since the strings break so quickly I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore ^_^
    I'll try BG-65 this time and I'll see what happens.
    Stick around for Ep. 2 of..........Frequent broken strings.......