2014 Li-Ning BWF WORLD Championships : Day-5 (29th August 2014) - QUARTERFINALS

Discussion in 'World Championships 2014' started by CLELY, Aug 28, 2014.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

[​IMG]

Venue
    : Ballerup Super Arena, Copenhagen-DEN

Tournament website : http://www.denmark2014.com/Cms/

Order of Play : https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...C98312-A11A-4F8B-9CF9-0926A1777ADA&d=20140829

Tournament time table : http://www.denmark2014.com/cms/?cmsid=430&pageid=13033

DEN time : http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wt...ma=Find%20Time

One step closer towards culmination day, looking forward to some mouth-watering showdowns, who will survive until finale?

MS, Lee Chong Wei on the way to last round...
    Lee CW v Wang ZM, eleven meetings between Lee v Wang with the latter always fail to score a winning, looks like this gonna be another same story for sixth seed.

Chou TC v Axelsen, Danish hope to keep MS chance alive depends on young Axelsen due to his senior compatriot Jorgensen retired yesterday.

Sugiarto v Pang, the impressive and attacking fashioned Tommy has bright chance to reach his first ever WC semifinal

Son WH v Chen L, the resilient and stubborn Korean may trouble China #2 seed

WS, two top-seeds set up meeting with Indian opponents
    Li XR v Nehwal, first stumbling block for world #1 in this WC, a must see match to watch!
    Mitani v Sung JH, Mitani shocked Intanon but Sung JH has slight advantage to book last four spot
    Tai TY v Marin, battle of the talented youngsters, who will win today?
    Sindhu v Wang SX, last year WC QF rematch, will Wang take revenge this time?

MD, three KOR pairs in quarters, high probability that one of KOR MD will claim top honour at Sunday's final. Pratama/Saputra v Kim KJ/Kim SR and Liu XL/Qiu ZH v Boe/Mogensen may go down to the wire

WD, both CHN and KOR have secured 1 semifinal ticket, solid performance by two INA pairs that hopefully will be continued in this round

XD, four CHN pairs dominate last eight, Jordan/Susanto will get tough foe, home fave Fischer/Pedersen.

The quarterfinals will be splitted by two sessions (10.00am and 05.00pm local time, 2 courts).[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

#1 CLELY, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  2. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Come on Saina & pv !!!!!!
    We want to see both of you to fly out with beautiful colours!!
    I would've supported you WSX if you have any another opponent....
    Its tough and almost impossible to defeat the so consistent LXR but high expectations on sN ti win her first medal..
    I am personally looking for CM to impress us again!!
    WS is absolutely amazing as well as open if someone def LXR

3. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    i think saina, sindhu and mitani must be very tired after their long long tussles in the previous rounds. sung and li xuerui are looking way too good for their respective opponents. marin and tai, both will have a go in their quarter final clash.
    the way saina played against takahashi, i don't think she stands any chance here until and unless she comes up with the goods, she still looks troubled when it comes to her deep forehand corner, and li will surely expose it again and again, and saina again seems to be a little sluggish and slow.
    as for wang shixian and sindhu's match, if sindhu is not tired enough than she stands a chance maybe. .you never know what's coming when it is wang shixian at the other side of the net.

#3 arjevo, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  4. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    more so, li xuerui must be fired up for the match after what saina nehwal said about limiting the players and all :p ;)

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Great line up for ladies singles.

I was surprised to see the newspaper report of Saina saying limit a country's number of participants. That directly affects a lot of tournaments! Sounds like possibly a press report mis-interpreted and then spread around. Nevertheless, not talking about the good or bad of such a comment but it makes the competition certainly more interesting!!

Tai TY versus Carolin - history in the making?

PV versus SX - good matchup! Look to PV trying to kill off the shuttle early in the rallies in an attempt to avoid the long gruelling rallies. Especially as PV had that marathon yesterday.

6. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    exactly, i wrote the same thing in one of my post in another thread and people made an argument out of it here. .imho, people really heat up the issues unnecessarily without even thinking that press and media likes to spice things up and present it according to what they like.

7. tecdecs

tecdecs Regular Member

high schooler
    Can't BWF do a better job recording the games that will be most popular? I missed TW MD (LSM & TCH) vs Malaysia MD (KKK & TBH) and it seems i will be missing TW (LSM & TCH) vs Korea (LYD & YYS). It does not promote badminton more if people cant watch the top players play.

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

And Li Xuerui commented about Saina Nehwal statement for limitation of Chinese players in badminton tournaments : http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...teaches-Saina-a-lesson-with-thumping-victory/

9. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    Ko/shin vs hoon/tan

going to be a tight match. (predict hoon/tan)

lxr - saina

i really hope saina is able to put on a real fight against the oly champ! (predict lxr)

typhoon vs marin (mouth watering match)

both have been doing so well. (predict typhoon to win)

pv sindhu vs wsx

can pv sindhu upset wsx , h2h is sindu leading 3-2 (predict wsx to win in rubber)

other matches are quite straight forward i guess , higher seeds to win. =x

10. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Li xuerui was more dominant yesterday. She has a greater chance today. And for saina, she escaped from a blink of defeat yesterday. She was slow in her movement. She may prove me wrong. Only time will tell.

For sindhu, what can I say ?. I thought she will surely lose yesterday when she was one game and 5-11 down in the second. But she proved me wrong again. Very much strong mentally. The way the rubber game went proved it. Beating world no.5 and more expetienced BYJ was a remarkable feat in her career. She need to move on. She should not think about her victory and concentrate today's match against shixian. Shixian's game is something very difficult for players to play against. She will go for cross court drop shots on both sides from any angle. She has that ability to twist and turn her opponent that will make them uncomfortable. Let's see whether she has counter game today.

#10 scorpion1, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  11. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    I hope it goes to rubber!

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks,CLELY, for posting the article. That's my Li Xuerui !

Once again, Park Joo-bong disappoints me (the last time was his opposition to Lin Dan's first wild card). I've always regarded him and his partner Kim Moon-soo as one the the greatest MDs of all time but some of his views aren't befiitting a champion.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm more worried about WSX who's often forced onto the defensive by tall attacking players unless she is on top of her game, not only moving well but also playing accurately with her meticulous shot-making.

Once too often WSX is unduly passive,reactive and, to make matters worse, lacking in precision in her placement shots. However when she is at her best, she usually makes her opponent twist and turn, scrambling all over the court, frustrating,annoying and wearing her out.

Many times I was amazed by how a proactive,positive WSX could relentlessly drive her opponent to the ground with her varied,deceptive precision mini-strikes (with hardly any heavy artillery, ie. outright smashes) that all in all have a cumulative draining effect till the opponent succumbed.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Pleasantly surprised that Lu Kai/Huang Yaqiong came from behind to beat the fancied KOR pair Ko SH/Kim HN yesterday.

15. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

hope Hoon/Tan will make it to semifinal...

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    For sure this is going to be a fascinating match. Sindhu will have to follow the game plan meticulously.

Wonder if we will see WSX making Sindhu twist and bend.

17. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    I think it will be real close. maybe like against japan game. rubber :D

18. budibadibu

budibadibu Regular Member

Student
    The QF match will begin soon now.. Hope for some entertaining matches today..

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Haha, once more, I haven't seen one legal serve from Hoon TH :D Ridiculous to think that we got service faults called in MS yesterday whereas he gets away with basically throwing the shuttle over from his chin at times :D

Edit: Saw a perfectly valid one at 13-12! :eek:

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd have much preferred that WSX had a tougher opponent yesterday than the Viet lady, better still one stronger than YipPY, to keep her on her toes, more alert, and ready to play with a sense of urgency, not in any way lulled into complacency. I'd be happy to see her smashing more and better like what Bae YJ did yesterday - that in addition to her already special skills should do beautifully, enough to take care of Sindhu convincingly,I believe.